System #226 (CLX)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A beautiful turntable! And I agree, an SME Series V would look better. Start saving! :)

Actually there is one with gold print on sale at local market. The only thing keeping me from buying it are those little things, all 1750 of them, lol.

Got a scrap piece of plastic from a friend and thought I'd make something useful out of it.. Measured some lines on it and polished somewhat and this is what I have:

Suspension gauge.

Attachments

• IMG_4085 900x600.JPG
    IMG_4085 900x600.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 952
Another purpose for piece of plastic: VTA gauge

Attachments

• IMG_4087 750x500.JPG
    IMG_4087 750x500.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 961
Now that I've made turntable adjustments just a little bit easier, just couldn't help myself.. :D

Attachments

• IMG_4102 750x500.JPG
    IMG_4102 750x500.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 1,004
Very nice. Similar colour scheme to my Michell deck. I'm running that same cart at the mo, while my Transfiguration Orpheus gets fixed. It's a good cart for the money. But trust me - with that current setup, it'd be worth spending a bit more on the cart.

It never ends, though, does it?

It never ends, though, does it?

It certainly doesn't. Yes, Ace is a value cartridge but a quite good value really. I've heard Orpheus and it would be in an whole other league in every way. Some of Lyras do seem to be interesting, any experience/comments about them?

It's time to post system update:

Front end:
Sony SCD-555ES ( CD/SACD-player )
Oracle Delphi MkIII + SME V + Benz Micro Ruby 3 ( LP-player )
Cambridge Audio Azur 640T ( tuner )
Amps:
Lukaschek PP-1 T9 ( RIAA )
Audio Research LS15 ( preamp )
Nakamichi PA-7 ( poweramp HF)
Crown XTi 1000 ( poweramp LF)
Output devices:
STAX SR-404 + SRM-006tII ( earspeakers )
ML Odyssey ( speakers )
Cables:
Nordost Red Dawn (CD + panel)
Nordost Blue Heaven (Crown + LF-drivers)
Audioquest Emerald (tuner)
Audioquest Lapis (RIAA)
Cello special edition (Oracle)
Supra LoRad (power)
DIY-Öhlflex (power)
Siltech Octopus (powerstrip)
Notes:
Telefunken PCC88 + Hexfred mod in LS-15
RCA 6CG7 clear tops in SRM-006tII
Oracle hard acrylic mat + double aluminium subchassis + DIY-PS in Delphi mkIII
Nordost Blue Heaven LF speaker cables modified from biwire to singlewire
Nordost Red Dawn HF speaker cables modified from biwire to singlewire
Soundcare Superspikes under Target racks and Odyssey (modified M6->1/4”x20)

- new cartridge, Benz Micro Ruby 3

Attachments

• Ryby_3.jpg
    Ryby_3.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,192
Last edited:
- new riaa, Lukaschek PP-1 T9
- new phono cable, special edition cello SME-RCA

Attachments

• T9.jpg
    T9.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,431
Last edited:
- original power supply for Oracle Delphi III was quite modest although adequate. I saw it as something that could be improved. Here's my DIY version. I had the bits and pieces around for months but never found the time (yeah right) until yesterday to construct it.

Attachments

• DIY supply.jpg
    DIY supply.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 885
- new headphones, Stax SRM-006tII + SR-404. Lovely sound especially with vinyl. 006tII equipped with RCA 6CG7 clear tops. :music: Connected with balanced Kimber Hero.

Attachments

• 006t.jpg
    006t.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,443
System update:

Front end:
Audio Research CD7 ( CD-player )
Oracle Delphi MkIII + SME V + Benz Micro Ruby 3 ( LP-player )
Cambridge Audio Azur 640T ( tuner )
Amps:
Lukaschek PP-1 T9 ( RIAA )
Audio Research LS15 ( preamp )
Audio Research HD220 ( poweramp HF)
Crown XTi 1000 ( poweramp LF)
Output devices:
STAX SR-404 + SRM-006tII ( earspeakers )
ML Odyssey ( speakers )
Cables:
Nordost Red Dawn (CD /single ended)
Nordost Heimdahl (CD /balanced)
Nordost Blue Heaven (Crown /balanced)
Nordost Red Dawn (ARC HD220 /balanced)
Audioquest Emerald (tuner)
Nordost Red Dawn (RIAA)
Cello special edition (Oracle)
Kimber Hero (Stax /balanced)
Nordost Red Dawn /shotgun (LF-drivers)
Nordost Frey /shotgun (HF-panel)
Isotek (poweramps)
Nordost Shiva (CD & pre)
Siltech Octopus (powerstrip)

set 20110917.jpg

Hi MPS,

Just quick question, I have been thinking about digging out my old Oracle Delphi, I think it may be a II series. I always felt that sticky rubber mat on the platter made for a muddy sound, what kind of material does your III series use for a mat please?

A great turntable although fitting the belt was always a challenge.

Fjeff

Some comments about recent changes.

I heard a wonderful sounding E.A.R. - Living Voice combination which made me realize there could be several aspects I could improve on in my system. Maybe it's just natural behaviour to human to look for improvement :cool:

I acquired a ARC VT100 and refurbished it with new tubes and recapped with increased capacitance. However wonderful and lively it sounded to me I could never quite get over with the lacking in the highest frequency output due to too high output impedance.
So I needed to look for alternative solution which came with ARC HD220 hybrid power amp. Not quite same euphoria in the midrange but much improved overall control of sound and attack of transients and weight on lower register.

CD playback was getting much ignored since updating my vinyl playback equipment so it was a no brainer for me to jump on to chance when a second hand ARC CD7 was being offered quite reasonably. It's still not quite in the same level but good enough ;)

It's always great fun to play around with some cables. I prefer to stick with one manufacturer's selection to get the sonic impression maxed out. I get great results with Nordost Shiva power cables on the source and pre amp equipment. I don't find quite the same impact with the power amps where more heavy duty cables seem to do better. ML's don't seem to be too critical with their power cables, in fact I find the stock cables to match better than some aftermarket variety. I can highly recommend Nordost Heimdahl interconnects and speaker cables as they are well balanced in sound. I chose Nordost Frey only in order to gain some more HF output to better compensate equipment/room acoustics combination. It is my plan to upgrade to Heimdahl interconnects over a period of time.

Hi MPS,

Just quick question, I have been thinking about digging out my old Oracle Delphi, I think it may be a II series. I always felt that sticky rubber mat on the platter made for a muddy sound, what kind of material does your III series use for a mat please?

A great turntable although fitting the belt was always a challenge.

Fjeff

It is a hard mat which sticks to the platter like it's glued. Material feels like hard acrylic or similar plastic. I didn't install it, previous owner did. I think you can get these from Oracle as aftermarket upgrade.
Highly recommended modification.

I use the original sorbotane mat on my RCM (Okki Nokki).

Last edited:
I love the Odyssey's... can't believe I am close to replacing them with the Summit X - they are such spectacular speakers... Nice system

Thank you.

ML has improved somewhat with the integration of driver elements and the latest models present very high level of homogeneous sound and the active bass drive gives the possibility for adjustability beyond passive version.

Krazikiwi,
in the latest system photo I have a record on the platter, the actual mat is matt :D black in color and slightly concave to improve record contact when used with the clamp.

Goldfinger

Thank you.

ML has improved somewhat with the integration of driver elements and the latest models present very high level of homogeneous sound and the active bass drive gives the possibility for adjustability beyond passive version.

Krazikiwi,
in the latest system photo I have a record on the platter, the actual mat is matt :D black in color and slightly concave to improve record contact when used with the clamp.

Hi MPS,

I never knew the Oracle came in Gold plating, it looks fantastic, I use a Fidelity Research fx64 arm on my Oracle, I still like it as a combination. The SME V on my Gyrodec is another favorite with a Benz LP, I understand why you went for the both of them on the Oracle.

Where in Finland are you, I took my 4wd from Malmo to Helsinki and then up the Russian border northwards to a well known wooden church (name?). That was a while ago now but mid summer fest was fascinating!

Hölkyn kölkyn!

Jeff

Hi MPS,

Where in Finland are you, I took my 4wd from Malmo to Helsinki and then up the Russian border northwards to a well known wooden church (name?). That was a while ago now but mid summer fest was fascinating!

Hölkyn kölkyn!

Jeff

Haha, hölkyn kölkyn!

I'm 200km north to Helsinki. Hope you enjoyed your visit. New Zealand is such a lovely place although I have only visited Dunedin and Christchurch.
I'm sure your Delphi will play wonderful music and Fidelity Research arm could match some of the Benz cartridges. I went carefully trough my Delphi, piece by piece. Cleaning, lubricating, adjusting.. Couldn't be more happy with it ;)

Back