System #196 (Aerius)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Glen. The CD player doesn't get much use since I added the Scout!
I know what you mean, my Scout is definitely my most used source. Are you still using the pioneer dv-47ai as your cd player? I have that same player, but it was in my home theater, which is now in storage. The reason I ask is because I did a comparison between my new Ayre cx-7e and the pioneer just for fun. What a difference!!! In fact just to make sure I was not fooling myself, I did a blindfold test with my wife controlling the players. It was not even a contest. I picked the Ayre out everytime. My wife did the same test and she too picked the ayre out each time as sounding better without any problem. I could not tell a difference in volume level between the two, but my wife thought the Pioneer may have been just a tad louder. I used the better settings that were recommended from the manual for the best two channel playback according to Pioneer. I did not tell much if any difference between the settings they gave. I still love the Scout, but there are many cd's that I have and did not want to give them up. If you don't like the Pioneer for cd playback I'd suggest to demo a dedicated cd player against it and you may be surprised. Anyway, keep spinning the black pizza and enjoy!:D

Glen

Thanks Glen. Yeah, I know the Pioneer is one of my weaker links, but in the last year I bought a new house and two new cars. I've got to slow down on the spending! :eek: I'd love to have the audio research player. (And an AR amp and pre) In time. I have recently bought a new component stand and record shelving, though. Next, I need to focus on the room acoustics.

I've moved and have started the audio setup in the new house. My biggest challenge in the new audio room is the size and shape of the room and the effect on the sound quality. The room is 15'6" from the speaker side to the listening side and 14'5" wide. There are a hallway, a bathroom, two windows and a door to an attic in the room. I purchased an Adona audio rack and still have to fill it with some lead, to deaden the steel cross members. I also purchased a record rack; actually, it is a bookcase from IKEA, turned on its side. Thanks for the info on this inexpensive solution, Luthor. So, in order to show you what I'm up against, here are some photos of the new layout so far. Please note that the camera flash really washed out the walls and makes them look very stark. It's really much warmer. Also, I haven't yet put up curtains or any acoustical treatments or art.

The first photo shows the stairway up to the audio (maybe future media) room...
337582512_MA7JQ-M.jpg

As you can see, there are no doors separating the room from the stairs or the hallway. I'm thinking of putting some folding acoustical panels to close it off somewhat.

This photo is taken from the far left front of the room, looking out the hallway. It also shows where the bathroom door is...
337582686_srKPr-M.jpg

This photo is taken from a few feet to the right of the right side speaker. The speakers are about four feet from the front wall. The chair on the left is positioned in the sweet spot, about 9 feet from the centerline of the speakers and about 2 feet from the rear wall...

337582506_J7iw6-M.jpg

Last edited:
This photo is taken from behind the listening chair. The records seem to be low enough as to not affect depth of image, but I will probaly move them to the right side of the right speaker, so that there is nothing between the speakers. If I can't hear a difference I will probably move them back...

337582698_xauzp-M.jpg

This pic is from the far left front corner, looking to the far right rear corner of the room. Notice the corner notch. I'm not sure how to handle the acoustical treatment there. Do I treat each corner as if they were the only corner; ie. bass traps vertical along each corner? Triangular traps at the top of each? I guess I will just keep adding treatments until the sound stops improving...
337582597_vR4uD-M.jpg

A shot of the left wall, showing the window and where the equipment is located. I used one of the layers of the new Adona rack as an amp stand...

337582768_hzcjF-M.jpg

Ok, that's it. Thanks again to Wardsweb (Luther) for posting the info about the IKEA bookcase. It makes a great record cabinet and only costs $89. I would appreciate any helpful comments/suggestions regarding getting better sound with my system, including rearranging of furniture, equipment, speakers, acoustical treatments, etc. My wife has some medium weight curtains that she wants me to put in the room, so that is one change for sure. Just to let you know, the first iteration of setting up my room I had the speakers on the wall with the windows. That position gave a more nearfield listening experience that I did not prefer. Thanks.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there are two dedicated 20 amp wall plugs on the left wall, behind the equipment.

Last edited:
Wow, big difference vs. your old setup! I bet the imaging and soundstage are 100% better! Will be interesting to hear if relocating the cabinet has a significant effect. Keep us posted!

Very nice, Steve. Looks a little bare but I'm sure you'll fix that soon enough.
About closing off the open stairs - Are you talking about other people in the house making noise, or is it the room acoustics you're concerned about?
Anyway, welcome to the neighborhood.

Mike

Room acoustics. In the last house I had terrific imaging and soundstaging. But, that room was much larger. This room is what I would call more "alive" and I think it needs to be tamed. First step, barring suggestions otherwise, is to hang the curtains, then start adding bass traps.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome.

I was just thinking that from a bass response perspective it may be better to have the opening. Looks like a fairly small room from the pics, and I know from my 13' x 12' room that bass quickly becomes an issue if I overdrive the room.
Anyway, looks great and getting it to sound right is half the fun.

Mike, I haven't added any treatments yet, too many other things going on. (Whoever said retirement was restful? - Not with grandkids!) Anyway, I'm not getting the best sound I've heard from my speakers, as this room is on the small side and almost square...not an ideal space. I've also done a little tube rolling and am also getting used to that difference. I've noticed that the bass seems a little shy, based on my somewhat sketchy memory, with some recordings. I also notice that I am turning the sound down because the room is a little too lively. Nothing is drastically bad, but I figure treating the room should help.

A few months ago I added a Depth to my Sequel II based system. The S2's are supposedly good to 30Hz, at which point they're down by 2db. One might think that that is adequate bass -- but i really isn't once you've heard the system with the sub running. Since the Aerius call no-joy at 40Hz, your issues are more exaggerated and thus your rewards likely to be even higher.

I recommend picking up a subwoofer or two. The Depth (and the i model) are real a$$ kickers and easy to come by on eBay and Audiogon. I turn off the hi-pass filter and cross over the sub at 30Hz and the difference is remarkable. The system now has truly world-class bass, bass articulation and impact. If you choose this route, set your crossover(s) for 40 or 45Hz and really enjoy the music !!

~VDR

A few months ago I added a Depth to my Sequel II based system. The S2's are supposedly good to 30Hz, at which point they're down by 2db. One might think that that is adequate bass -- but i really isn't once you've heard the system with the sub running. Since the Aerius call no-joy at 40Hz, your issues are more exaggerated and thus your rewards likely to be even higher.

I recommend picking up a subwoofer or two. The Depth (and the i model) are real a$$ kickers and easy to come by on eBay and Audiogon. I turn off the hi-pass filter and cross over the sub at 30Hz and the difference is remarkable. The system now has truly world-class bass, bass articulation and impact. If you choose this route, set your crossover(s) for 40 or 45Hz and really enjoy the music !!

~VDR

Adding a subwoofer is something I've thought about for a long time and will eventually get around to doing. I think I need a new digital source first, though. Lately, I've been playing with acoustical treatments and rearranging the system. I've got it sounding pretty good now and as an added bonus, I've got the best bass I've ever heard from my system! Pictures to follow.

I've rearranged my room, based on suggestions from GIK Acoustics. I have added two bass traps and three absorbtive panels so far and have two different style bass traps on order. So, the room is still a work in progress. I haven't even added window treatments, but at least I put up a couple of art pieces! I've now got two record bookcases in the room, also and have added some more Adona rack pieces.
402748620_4tNVa-M.jpg

Here's a pic of the right side of the room...
402748612_mr5ha-M.jpg

Another of the front...
402748637_TpcjZ-M.jpg

I thought it didn't look bad before (of course, I can't see the whole room). How much improvement, if any, have you noticed since re-arranging and adding th GIK treatments?

Back