System #176 (Aerius)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jem90

Reaction score
Matthew Eden
Buckinghamshire UK

Martin Logan Aerius. (Bi Amped)

Road to Martin Logan Ownership started in 2006

Modifications: DIY Speakers Spikes standing on Mana Acoustics, Sound Stage Speaker Plinths.

1 Samsung HD950 Up scaling DVD Player (Digital output)
2 Musical Fidelity X 24 (24/96) Dac
3 BBE Sonic Maximizer 882
4 Musical Fidelity X Pre Modified with (Cryogenically Treated Valves) Class A Pre amp
5 Musical Fidelity XA50 Mono Block Power Amp x4 Bi Amping Aerius
6 Other Xbox 360, Humax Fox f2 STB, Pure 701ES Dab Tuner
7 Projection system Acer 723 DLP Projector
8 All HiFi Standing on Target Audio Rack
9 All Musical Fidelity Electronics powered by X PSU
10 Everything Powered through Belkin UPS & mains conditioner
11 DIY Cables

I have been interested in HiFi for many years but its only recently got going since we moved, the Logans and large 90 inch HD picture are great.
I have just made a move into surround sound although I have only previously been interested in 2 channel audio I feel I’m missing something with the big screen DVDs and games. So on a budget I’m moving into surround sound without compromising on my stereo system. The system will be powered by a Teac AG15 amp very good specification for the money, DIY centre channel and Mordant Short MS20i Pearl for the rear.

I have just finished the centre speaker this weekend and will post my review / opinion on the sound later in the DIY section.

I hope you like our system it gives us a great amount of pleasure.

Cheers Matt.

Attachments

• Rack.jpg
    Rack.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,097
  • Living-Room.jpg
    Living-Room.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 962
  • Acer-DLP.jpg
    Acer-DLP.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 960
  • Center-Speaker.jpg
    Center-Speaker.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 980
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Matt,

Nice system and clean minimalist room. I have always liked uncluttered rooms. I have a serious case of knick knack psychosis that I treat with work, music and wine not always in that order.

On your equipment rack what are the pieces the appear to be cylinders on 2 of the shelves? What are they?

Post some more pics of the room. I would like to see what the viewing end looks like.

That rack full of Musical Fidelity gear looks VERY cool!

I always loved the tubular cases on their gear. I eas VERY bummed when they came out with their latest updates, and they are all in rectangular boxes...

I bet is sounds VERY nice, and your minimalist approach is very nice looking. I, too have a terrible case of packrat-itis, and I do a lot of DIY projects too, so there is always a few projects laying around in various stages of construction.

I'm very interested in hearing about your DIY cables and Center Speaker. I do DIY cables too, but I just got a pair of Nordost Solar Winds, and they sound so good, I've almost decided to retire my soldering iron as far as speaker cables go. These Norsdost cables sound so much better than anything I've ever made (and they last set of cables I made sounded better than most of the mainstream commercial stuff I'd heard up till now) that I've pretty much given up--I don't think I can top the Nordost sound, unless I go to the next level up in Nordost's line...

Anyway, welcome to the club, and we are looking forward to hearing and seeing all the details of your DIY projects. You'll find there are a LOT of "solder monkeys" on this forum... ;)

--Richard

The monoblocks are on the botom shelf, then from left to right (XCANS Headphone amplifier) (XPRE Preamp) (XPSU Powersupply) (X24 24bit Dac);)

Lovely Aerius Musical HT System...

Matt,

Welcome to the ML Club!

Your Aerius and associated gear look awesome. :D Those round cylinders are MF mono-block amplifiers correct? They look cool whatever they are. :p

I had a pen pal friend who lived in Buckinghamshire, Barton-Le-Clay area. She moved to a greek island on Crofu, Greece, where she lives now I think, but her family still lives in Buckinghamshire. My pen pal friend was so beautiful she could have been a model. :)

Brilliant set-up Matt.

It is good to have you here. :D

Great !!! My new amp arrived this morning ;) will get it wired up this weekend. If you are interested here is the spec:

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Amps/teac_ag15d.htm

16-bit 8-times oversampling digital filter
32-selection random programming
DTS-ES (Discrete, Matrix) and DTS -
NEO:6 (Cinema, Music) surround decoder -
DTS 96/24 decoding -
Dolby Digital-EX and Dolby Pro Logic IIx surround decoder -
Dolby Virtual Speaker and Dolby Headphone -
Total discrete amplifier for all channel

COS (Calibration Optimising System) for accurate surround settings with calibrated microphone

8ch Direct input RCA terminals
30 preset quartz PLL synthesised AM/FM stereo tuner
Colour-keyed binding-post speaker terminals
Dot-matrix fluorescent display with dimmer
On-screen setup menu
Aluminium front panel
RDS for Europe
IEC-type AC inlet
Full-function UR remote control with 3rd-party preset code and night-glow keys
Stereo output power: 100W + 100W
(6Ω, 20-20kHz, 0.2% THD)
Surround output power: front left, front right, centre: 125W + 125W + 125W (6Ω, 1kHz, 0.7% THD), surround left, surround right: 125W + 125W (6Ω, 1kHz, 0.7% THD), surround back left, surround back right: 125W + 125W (6Ω, 1kHz, 0.7% THD)
Component video: In x2, Out x1
S-video: In x3, Out x2
Composite video: In x3, Out x2
Analogue audio: In x6, Out x2
TOS-link optical digital audio: In x2, Out x1
RCA coaxial digital audio: In x2
Subwoofer preout
6.3mm chrome plated headphone jack
WxHxD: 435 x 139 x 330mm
Weight: 10.4kg

All for £189 / $365 :D

Wow really impressed with the Microsoft HD DVD Drive for the 360 very good picture quality.

:clap: High Def is fantastic massive improvement

Attachments

• xbox_hd_dvd_1[1].jpg
    xbox_hd_dvd_1[1].jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 641
Back