System #160 (SL3, Theater i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HsvToolFool

Reaction score
Latest updates begin here: BAT cd player and Summits

1. Member Name: Brian the Tool Fool

(collects antique woodworking tools and has
a pathetic crush on Nicole Kidman)

2. Location: Huntsville, Alabama

3. ML Models: Summit, Theatre-i, SL3

4. Year Purchased: Summit (2007), Theatre-I (2005), SL3 (1996)

5. Mods/Changes: Replaced original SL3 feet with "ETC" spikes.

6. Associated Electronics:
  • Velodyne HGS-18 subwoofer
  • Krell FPB 300c
  • Krell Home Theater Standard (first model, never upgraded)
  • Krell KAV-250a3 center and rear amp
  • 8 ft. Transparent Reference XL SS speaker cables
  • Four 40 ft. XLR microphone cables (balanced) interconnects
  • Two 35 ft. HDMI cables
  • Sony BDP-300 BlueRay player
  • Radio Shack HDTV tuner (over-the-air only)

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:

I've always loved music, but my audio equipment addiction began in college with a humble pair of $130 Infinity bookshelf speakers and a Pioneer receiver. I listened to Pink Floyd while doing my calculus homework. After earning my degree and entering the white-collar workplace in 1992, I dove into the newfangled home theater hobby. I saved my pennies for a few months and bought a Denon laserdisc player, Denon receiver, and a set of Klipsch HT speakers with a matching subwoofer. It was fun, but it was horrible for jazz and classical music which are my first loves.

I subscribed to Home Theater magazine back then. They published a fascinating article in late 1994. One of my favorite audio reviewers at the time, Corey Greenberg (formerly of Stereophile), had a then-crazy idea to use high-end audio speakers in a HT setup (oh, how far poor Corey has fallen. These were the most bizarre speakers I had ever seen and their names were even stranger: "SL3", "Stylos", and "Logos". But the reviewers were extremely enthusiastic about the result. One reviewer had worked on the movie "Apocalypse Now" in some capacity related to audio, so they used that laserdisc as a test. The quote I recall was that he had never heard such accurate reproduction of the human voice.

Naturally, I had to hear this for myself. So I drove to the nearest MartinLogan dealer two hours away. The dealer had no SL3s in stock (which were just being released) but he had a used pair of Sequel IIs. Needless to say, I was knocked flat in that audition. Unfortunately, this (now defunct) dealer spotted me as a high-end newbie and tried to sell his well-used Sequel II demos for the full SL3 retail price. I just said no thanks and privately decided to never do business with such a rat.

So I started scrimping and saving (I do a lot of this) and a couple year later bought my brand new SL3s. This speaker is still the best bargain in high-end audio, especially since you can often get a used pair in excellent condition.

Initially, I used my Denon receiver and Denon Laserdisc player to drive the SL3s. It sounded great compared to those little Klipsh speakers, but I knew that I needed a complimentary amp, cables, and front-end to make these speakers sing.

So another year of saving passed until I finally had my second high-end component: a used McKormick DNA-1. Wow! I had bass slam and much better dynamics. At the same time, I decided it was proper to upgrade from 12-gauge lamp chord to entry-level Audioquest cables.

By this time I was a regular loiterer at the new hi-fi dealer in my town. He carried three brands: MatinLogan, Krell, and Transparent. The main demo system he had was incredible: Monoliths, all top-end Krell sources, and all top-end Transparent cable and interconnects. Listening in the sweet spot in that huge, acoustic-treated room was surreal.

Of course, I couldn't even begin to dream about buying such expensive gear, but I learned to keep my eye open for used gear and trade-ins. As far as I'm concerned, it's undeniable that Krell amps and Transparent cables are a perfect compliment tor MartinLogan ESLs regardless of the music source. But in all honesty, the main reason I have this gear in my system is that I was able to buy used from people I could trust. ;)

Saving for another year and a used (but only months-old) Krell HTS was added to replace poor Denon reciver. The excellent DACs in the HTS were a huge improvement to the bass and soundstage. At this time, I also was able to buy a demo pair of Transparent Super Bi-wire which was an awesome compliment to the HTS and DNA-1. I could now play the system much louder for hours with absolutely no listening fatigue.

At the time, I lived in a 900 square foot apartment. Being a hormonal young male, I obviously needed a Velodyne HGS-18 subwoofer to reach down past 20 Hz at 110 db. This took another year of saving.

Another year, more saving, and offering my DNA-1 in trade finally gave me enough to buy a used (but practically new) Krell FPB 300cx.

The Theatre-i and Krell KAV-250a3 were next. The Theatre-i was new from the new local ML dealer (the other guy ran away from creditors). The KAV-250a3 was a real bargain bought new from a Krell dealer on the web who was liquidating discontinued models. Together, they make an awesome home theater experience. I HATE going to the local cinemas now. I'd much rather just wait for the DVD to be released and get better image and sound.

I was perfectly happy with my Transparent Super Bi-wire for several years. Then a good friend upgraded his Transparent Reference XL (insanely expensive!) to the new Reference MM (insanely-er expensive-er!). He offered to sell his XL cables to me at a really great price, but this was still much more money than I ever wanted to pay for stupid speaker cables. Still, I was curious if I could hear a difference, so my buddy let me borrow the cables for a few weeks.

Well, that was a big mistake.

Switching from Transparent Super Bi-Wire (an excellent cable) to Reference XL was initially disappointing. Sure, the bass was improved and I heard more detail and depth. But it just didn't knock my socks off. The soundstage wasn't amazingly larger or deeper like what happens in audio reviews when they do A/B comparisons. So after a week's listening with the Reference XL in place, I decided it just wasn't worth the money and switched back to the Super Bi-Wire.

When I switched back, I was listening to a favorite jazz piano disk (Jacques Loussier Plays Bach Telarc CD-83411). I hadn't used much piano in my A/B comparisons until this point. But when I first heard the piano through my old cables, I thought a connection was loose. The piano was flat and almost muffled. It didn't sound like a grand piano in a real space, more like a synthesizer. The cable connections were fine. After more listening, I was finally able to put my finger on what was so different: I could not hear and feel the strings vibrating inside the piano. The tones were the same, but that detail and energy of a real piano was gone.

I spent the next week switching back and forth between Super and Reference XL while listening to my live-space recordings. I heard the same real/synthesized contrast in all my favorite jazz and classical disks. In the end, I had to admit that I really, really liked what the Reference XL did for my system. I spent another week wrestling with my frugal-Scotsman ancestry before I bought those cables from my friend.

The next-largest surprise from the Reference XL upgrade was the affect on my subwoofer. All my cable auditioning was in stereo mode, so my Velodyne HGS-18 was turned off. Once I decided to buy the cables, I started playing DVDs and laserdiscs again. The HGS-18 has always been a top-notch, near-invisible subwoofer but you sometimes felt the lowest notes coming from that black box in the corner. With the Reference XL cables installed, the sub totally disappeared. When that explosion hits, it feels like it's coming from between the SL3s. The cleaner and more solid bass from my SL3s caused the HGS-18 to integrate much better.

The 50-inch Panasonic plasma has been in place for about a year. I bought it from an AVSForum advertiser call VisualApex. Awesome experience! Nice people, stayed in touch, delivered quickly to my door as scheduled with no damage, and about half the cost as BestBuy and Tweeters. When the 65-inch 1080p plasmas come down enough, the 50-inch will go to the bedroom and I'll order from them again.

What's next? A better audio source, of course. I'm using an el-cheapo upscaling DVD player which feeds awesome HDMI to my plasma, but is not the best digital transport. But I'm not giving up a terrible amount of audio performance so I'm not in a hurry. I'm waiting for BluRay player prices to become more reasonable, then I'll get a high-end source.

After that? Summit! Or the promised CLX. I like the idea of the Summits because it allows me to go sub-wooferless and saves floor space. But the CLX may deliver more of what I really love: that ESL detail and imaging magic. We'll see how it goes this Fall.

And then? Krell's new Evolution 707 preamp/processor has exciting specs. But it will be quite a while before these appear on the used market. I can't see spending $10K on a preamp/processor, especially since Krell's HT gear is always rough around the edges. Krell provides excellent sound, but the user-interface usually has annoying glitches which are never fixed.

Last edited:
New SL3 system (second post)

Before the obligatory photo…

a) All equipment is in the tall cabinet in the bottom photo. It's in the foyer just outside my living room which doubles as HT. I found the cabinet at a country furniture store, cut out the back, and added shelves. It's messy, so there's no inside photo. I have more work to do on it this Spring.

b) Two 35-foot HDMI cables go out the back of the cabinet, up the wall, over the ceiling, and down to the plasma. I've not had any digital noise or similar problems running the HDMI at 1080i. The cable are rated for 1080p, so maybe someday I'll be able to actually test their claims.

c) Three 40-foot (and one 50-foot) XLR microphone cables follow the same route and feed the amps and sub. If your system is balanced, a studio-quality microphone cable is an affordable and hard to beat interconnect.

d) I know the cables behind the amp are messy. I plan to build a cover to hide them this Spring.

Okay, here goes…

Attachments

• system_l_r.jpg
    system_l_r.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 1,565
Brian,

The system looks GREAT! Very clean! Well done! What are you using for surrounds and where do you have them placed? In ceiling or do you have something in the walls or floor standers back there?

Looking good! Summit's will look GREAT in there!

The system looks GREAT! Very clean! Well done! What are you using for surrounds and where do you have them placed? In ceiling or do you have something in the walls or floor standers back there?

Thanks! Currently, no surrounds speakers are installed. I pulled wire when my house was built for in-ceiling speakers and I've got the amp channels for them, but I'm not a huge fan of surround because so many soundtracks misuse the surrounds. So I've just not bothered yet.

When I get a round Tuit, I will probably install Triad in-ceiling dipoles.

When I get a round Tuit, I will probably install Triad in-ceiling dipoles.

LOVE my surround system and with my current Rotel processor you can get some pretty enveloping (though not realistic) surround experiences with regular music. It is a wild thing to hear! You can choose 5ch or 7ch mode w/ the Rotel.

I have read good things about the Triad stuff...should sound great when you get the Round Tuit.
:D

I have a few of those waiting too! We have lived here 3 years now! LOL!

Brian, Welcome, nice clean well thought system ! Glad to see that Robin had discovered you I believe !! ??

I Said It Once and I'll Say It Again ~ This is Simply an Amazing SL3 / Krell System..

Brian,

Hey Dude! You posted your system as promised... It looks soooo Cool!:D

I love your descriptions of becoming a ML audiophile as well as your fascinating audio odyssey in this this crazy-fun hobby we all share... :cheers:
I forgot to mention this before, when I first found your system on the AVS Forum, I was struck by just how beautiful your set-up is... I mean the decor and comfortable listing environment of your system really looks so wonderfully great.

Your system is marvelous, especially knowing the history of just how it all came to be... ;)

:D It is good to have you here Brian...

I have read good things about the Triad stuff...should sound great when you get the Round Tuit. :D

It's the only in-ceiling dipole I could find. Bit of a rare bird. I've not auditioned them yet, but the build quality appears excellent and I also read good reviews about them.

I've never cared for in-ceiling or in-wall speakers until I heard a B&W demo that used a quality amp, source, and cables. I was very impressed how far wall speakers had improved over the years.

Brian, Welcome, nice clean well thought system!

Thanks!

Brian,

Hey Dude! You posted your system as promised... It looks soooo Cool!:D

Tom said I could just use my first name. I then noticed that others had done the same. D'oh!

I love your descriptions of becoming a ML audiophile as well as your fascinating audio odyssey in this this crazy-fun hobby we all share... :cheers:

It's mostly for newbies to understand how a person ends up with a stereo that's worth more than his car. And clothes. I guess it's simultaneously a timeline plus ironic example of my OCD. I never would have believed I'd be here if you told me 15 years ago.

I forgot to mention this before, when I first found your system on the AVS Forum, I was struck by just how beautiful your set-up is... I mean the decor and comfortable listing environment of your system really looks so wonderfully great.

Thank you! This is one of the few cases where the photos are actually nicer than reality, at least in terms of decor. My ancient digital camera hides my decorating faults. I don't have much "decor" to speak of. "Minimalist" is a nice way to phrase it. At least it's easy to keep clean. But I do enjoy the paint color which was recommended by the builder. It's relaxing and warm, which is what I requested.

The silk trees in the corners are cheap bass traps that happen to look fairly nice. And they really do work. Otherwise, I don't have any room treatments. The room is so large and open that it's almost a moot point. Someday, I want to paint a large canvas for the back wall to help with reflections. I thought I'd reproduce a mural-sized version of one of the famous Old Masters... like Chevy Redneck's Calvin urinating on the Ford logo.

I forget to mention earlier that the room is 21-feet wide (the speaker-wall) by 17-feet deep with 9-foot ceilings. The left side (when facing the plasma) opens to my foyer and the front door (where the electronics cabinet is). The right side (which also opens to the breakfast nook) has a triple-wide window in the center of the wall. 2-inch blinds do a good job of killing early reflections, although my listening position is just outside the nearfield so it probably doesn't matter.

Really nice and clean setup ... Man, I need a bigger space :)

The most expensive part of most hobbies is the room. Audio and HT, woodworking, reef keeping, hot rodding...

Man! I need to find a hobby that doesn't need a dedicated room. Like... bikini watching. ;)

Oh! The little black dot centered under the plasma is the infra-red repeater from SmartHome for the electronics inside the cabinet.

A shielded (important!) 2-conductor wire goes up the wall, yada yada yada... and into the cabinet where the repeater resends the IR to all my gadgets.

Common, unshielded doorbell wire works but not as reliably as shielded. I can't decide if static electricity or EMI noise is the cause, but the shielded wire is better for hardwired IR repeaters.

The new phone book's here!

M'Kay, the Krell KAV-280p preamp arrived last Monday
and has sat on a granite slab patiently waiting for its
sole reason for existence to arrive: a BAT VK-D5SE CD
player purchased used on AudiogoN. Very pleasant
transaction, I must add.

The VK-D5SE arrived today (Thursday). I got home from
work, ate a snack, cruised the forums while winding down,
then popped the player's uber-expensive 6H30P tubes in
place and hooked up everything. Been listening and
smiling for the past four hours.

Some first impressions...

#1) This is awesome! I put off this upgrade far too long.

#2) You might have a high-end CD player if... the remote
lacks both on/off and open/close buttons. Finding buttons
on the player is tough in the dark when it's at ankle-level.

#3) I always knew my Krell HTS was lame for stereo and
that the DACs are adequate at best, but they now just suck
compared to the VK-D5SE. Granted, I've stepped up from
a low class-B player to a true class-A player. Given that
I've lived with the HTS for so long, judgments like "more
dynamics" or "more detail" become almost meaningless.
This is a huge step up in performance.

#4) The VK-D5SE is much more dynamic and has much
more detail. Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.

#5) There's now zero background noise or hum (unless
it's in the recording) regardless how high the volume.
Short, full-balanced interconnects are good, m'kay.

#6) Extra bass at the very lower notes. Not bloated or
plummy, very fast and tight in fact, just more "ooomph"
in kick drums and plucked bass string. A very pleasant
surprise. Adds more energy and excitement in general.

#7) My system is mid-range heaven now, which is exactly
what I had hoped for. All my gear now has midrange as
their main strength and it really shines. Female vocals are
to die for.

#8) The VK-D5SE is fully broken in, but I have no idea
how long the brand new Krell preamp will take. I'll give it
about 100 hours before really judging my system.

#9) Another pleasant surprise: my remotes all get along.
The BAT remote works the volume on the Krell 280p. My
Krell HTS remote turns on the 280p and FPB 300c at the
same time.

#10) This upgrade demands a total system teardown,
dusting, vacuuming, connector cleaning, and speaker
re-placement. I had forgotten that my SL3 were moved
closer to the wall for a cookout last Fall, and I need to put
them back where they belong about 9-inches further out
with a tad more toe-in.

#11) Drat! I've lost "Temptation", my favorite Holly
Cole disk and one of my listening references. I know I let
someone borrow it but I can't remember who. Double rats.

Oh well, it's past bed time for Bonzo. I'll finish my chores
over the next few months and post more impressions
then. I need to install a couple of dedicated 20A circuits,
clean up the wires behind the amps, and place some
diffusers to tame an upper mid-range resonance.

M'Kay, the Krell KAV-280p preamp arrived last Monday
and has sat on a granite slab patiently waiting for its
sole reason for existence to arrive: a BAT VK-D5SE CD
player purchased used on AudiogoN. Very pleasant
transaction, I must add.

The VK-D5SE arrived today (Thursday). I got home from
work, ate a snack, cruised the forums while winding down,
then popped the player's uber-expensive 6H30P tubes in
place and hooked up everything. Been listening and
smiling for the past four hours.

Congrats there HsvToolFool...sounds like you have an AWESOME reference system set up now! Look forward to seeing some pics with the new gear installed.

Okay, I just upgraded to Summits so it's time to bring my
page up to date...

Stereo Mode
  • Summit
  • Krell FPB 300c amplifier
  • Krell 280p balanced preamp
  • Balanced Audio Technology DK-5SE tube CD player
  • Two pair 5 ft XLR microphone cables (balanced) interconnects

Home Theater Mode
  • Summit
  • Theater-i center
  • Velodyne HGS-18 subwoofer
  • Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK plasma
  • Sony BDP-300 BlueRay player
  • RadioShack HDTV tuner (over-the-air only)
  • Krell Home Theater Standard surround processor
  • Krell KAV-250a3 for center and rear channels
  • Krell FPB 300c for left and right channels
  • 40 ft. XLR microphone cables (balanced) interconnects
  • Two 35 ft. HDMI cables

I still have tons of work to do regarding room treatments and cosmetics.
I plan to make some curved Flutter Free diffusion panels and place them
below and above the plasma. I'll hide all those ugly interconnect and
power wires behind those panels. Ugh, what a mess!

But first I need to break in the new Summits. Oh well, back to work. ;)

Attachments

• summits_left_side.jpg
    summits_left_side.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,075
Brian I see the 'stork' has landed , very nice, don't forget to updated your initial post and pic.

I should edit the first post? That will break the continuity
of the entire thread. Perhaps I'll just add a link at the top
of the first post directing them to the updated post.

I'll wait until I've cleaned up the cable-mess, broken in
the Summits, and dialed in the acoustics before I take the
final photos and type up another amateur critique.

Just checked out your audio toys. It is just plain wrong to call anything connected to that system of yours a mess. It is eye poetry.

Very nice and clean setup:cool:

So how do the SL3s compare to the summits? (disregarding the sub)

So how do the SL3s compare to the summits? (disregarding the sub)

I'm not doing any critical listening yet. But here are my knee-jerk
reactions after 24 hours of playtime...

I can tell the Summit soundstage will be significantly larger than
the SL3 once everything is dialed-in. I immediately heard more
space and separation between performers and instruments. Forward
recordings are now in my lap, while distance recordings are now
WAY behind the front wall.

Although Summits are technically more efficient than SL3, I find that
my volume level is usually 30% higher with the Summit. Out of the
box, Summit is tilted back a good deal more than the SL3, so it makes
sense that the sound is more diffuse. I intend to add forward-tilt when
I tackle the fine tuning.

The SL3 (or any Martin Logan ESL regardless of age) offers superb detail
and resolution, so I don't hear new stuff in familiar recordings. The
SL3 is also no slouch in the bass department provided you have a
top-notch SS amp and proper placement. But I can already feel
more slam in kickdrums or slapped bass strings, especially in the
lowest octaves. Since these are a few of my favorite things, I'm
already very pleased. Of course, the Summit makes it very easy to
dial-in waaaay too much of a good thing. There's tons of playtime
ahead before the bass is remotely dialed-in. But it's really not as
bloated or bass-heavy as I had feared just out of the box.

Switching and moving speakers is damn traumatic to a lazy audiophile
like me. My SL3 were perfectly positioned. After listening to the
Summits for a few minutes, it feels like my right ear needs to "clear".
You know that stopped-up feeling while flying? It's like there's more
pressure on the right side. It's hard to describe the sensation and
I've never found another audiophile who has the same experience,
but I must deal with this effect any time I move my speakers.
It's caused by incorrect toe-in and unbalanced sidewall reflections.
I'll futz with placement some more today, but I'll tackle the issue
earnestly once the Summits are properly broken-in.

Back