Switching to Proac D28 from Summit

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abhijit

Reaction score
I have decided to go for Proac D28. Got a buyer for Summit.
Main reasons are as follows:

1. Affected by Humidity and Dust -Lots of maintenance required

2. My room is an overkill for Summit

3. Involvement of active electronics in the speaker system which has limited life span.

Also heard that Summit will be discontinued soon. Hope I have taken a right decision. Any comments!!!

Last edited:
The maintenance thing sounds like a major issue. Not sure what you mean by your room being overkill for the speaker, perhaps you mean the other way around?

Considering how ML seems to take care of its legacy customers, I don't think your other issues are a big deal....

But hey, ProAc makes great speakers too! I'm a big fan.

Who knows, in a while you might give ML a try again, but the ProAcs are pretty seductive in their own way too.

Enjoy!

That's weird - the D28 is essentially a replacement for the old Response 2.5, which I used to own in my second system. Make sure you drive them with tubes if you can, because the designer, Stuart Tyler, is a fan... but they can sound good with solid state - they certainly work with Michell amps. Bit hot for tubes in Kuwait. And maybe Summits - I reckon the heat may relax the mylar a bit, though maybe they stretch it tighter for export to hot climates? There's food for thought...

Good speaks, anyway.

That's weird - the D28 is essentially a replacement for the old Response 2.5, which I used to own in my second system. Make sure you drive them with tubes if you can, because the designer, Stuart Tyler, is a fan... but they can sound good with solid state - they certainly work with Michell amps. Bit hot for tubes in Kuwait. And maybe Summits - I reckon the heat may relax the mylar a bit, though maybe they stretch it tighter for export to hot climates? There's food for thought...

Good speaks, anyway.
Thanx. Yes I am currently using Six Pacs and will be upgrading to Cary CAD-211 shortly. My pre-amp is Cary SLP-05. Everything here is centrally AC so outside temp does not matter much!!

The maintenance thing sounds like a major issue. Not sure what you mean by your room being overkill for the speaker, perhaps you mean the other way around?

Considering how ML seems to take care of its legacy customers, I don't think your other issues are a big deal....

But hey, ProAc makes great speakers too! I'm a big fan.

Who knows, in a while you might give ML a try again, but the ProAcs are pretty seductive in their own way too.

Enjoy!
Yes I meant room is small for Summits and need careful replacement and requires one man's sweet sport!

Thanx. Yes I am currently using Six Pacs and will be upgrading to Cary CAD-211 shortly. My pre-amp is Cary SLP-05. Everything here is centrally AC so outside temp does not matter much!!

Der - completely missed the obvious - AC! Enjoy that Cary... try and load it with NOS RCA 211s for best results - or Amperex, if you can lay your hands on some. Enjoy.

Back