Summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Decided to beat the price hike and ordered a pair of black ash Summits today. The wait begins... Better change my nametag for the get together Tom DAC!

Congrats on the Summits!!! When is the price hike happening again? Is it 1/2007?

Joey

Thanks, Joey. As to the price hike I get my info from this site! The salesman did talk to somebody and confirmed an impending price hike on certain products, but did not give specifics. At any rate the folks at Tweeter were gracious as usual and happy to meet audiophiles.

Thanks, Joey. As to the price hike I get my info from this site! The salesman did talk to somebody and confirmed an impending price hike on certain products, but did not give specifics. At any rate the folks at Tweeter were gracious as usual and happy to meet audiophiles.

Tony,

Only thing about Tweeter is they refuse to discount.... I had to go to another dealer who was happy to take 12% off the price just to get my business (this was back when I went for Vantages). Did you haggle, my friend?

Joey

Tony,

Only thing about Tweeter is they refuse to discount.... I had to go to another dealer who was happy to take 12% off the price just to get my business (this was back when I went for Vantages). Did you haggle, my friend?

Joey

Joey,
I have had lots of luck haggling with my local tweeter,it must vary from location to location or perhaps manager to manager.

Joey, I did try to haggle unsuccessfully for a 10% discount on a beautiful store demo pair of natural cherry Summits but the salesman wouldn't bite. I ended up ordering the black pair, rationalizing that if they turn out to NOT be better than my current big rig reference speakers (Apogee Divas) I can use them as part of my video system for a killer 7.1 setup of Summit/Aeon/Logos/Scenario/Descent. The other ML's are black as well. I was told the Summits are back ordered and that it may take as long as a month to get them. The odd thing is I received a call last night from the salesman. He had spoken with his manager and they have decided to bring the demo pair to my house on Saturday (my birthday) and let me keep them until my black ones arrive, then come back out to my house and set up the new pair! I could have gone to the local high end emporium across town and got a small discount as well as a trade in on my Divas (which I am not sure I want to get rid of), but i would not have been able to use my trusty Tweeter credit card, which would have meant waiting until after the rumored price increase. My wife says for a shrink I have a marked inability to delay gratification. I prefer to think of it as audiophilia!

Joey, I did try to haggle unsuccessfully for a 10% discount on a beautiful store demo pair of natural cherry Summits but the salesman wouldn't bite. I ended up ordering the black pair, rationalizing that if they turn out to NOT be better than my current big rig reference speakers (Apogee Divas) I can use them as part of my video system for a killer 7.1 setup of Summit/Aeon/Logos/Scenario/Descent. The other ML's are black as well. I was told the Summits are back ordered and that it may take as long as a month to get them. The odd thing is I received a call last night from the salesman. He had spoken with his manager and they have decided to bring the demo pair to my house on Saturday (my birthday) and let me keep them until my black ones arrive, then come back out to my house and set up the new pair! I could have gone to the local high end emporium across town and got a small discount as well as a trade in on my Divas (which I am not sure I want to get rid of), but i would not have been able to use my trusty Tweeter credit card, which would have meant waiting until after the rumored price increase. My wife says for a shrink I have a marked inability to delay gratification. I prefer to think of it as audiophilia!

That's GREAT news! Let us know what you think of the Summits vs the Apogees! Remember, position position position!

Joey,
I have had lots of luck haggling with my local tweeter,it must vary from location to location or perhaps manager to manager.

That's news to me.... man.. my Tweeter must be a bunch of tightwads or maybe your Tweeter is just plain cool...

I should've shopped around for the better Tweeter store...

:(

Sounds like a bad case of Joeyitis to me...:)

Peter

I concur.... ;) .

Tweeter normally does not discount much (if at all). However, they do have sales during certain part of the year. I got all of my equipment from Tweeter, but i got lucky...it was 10% off weekend, PLUS i got an additional 5% off from using my brother's ADVID card (not sure of the spelling of name). So, i got my equipment at least 15% off on all my equipment!:rocker:

The sad part was that i was there to buy a regular TV (LCD rear projection) for my family room...was not even thinking about HT setup. But, the salesman was very informative and told me about the 10% off sale. He gave me the 15% off (10% + 5% AVID member) and a few other significant discounts, such as my Sony XBR3 52" LCD flatpanel for only $5500 simply because he misquoted me the price and had to stick to it. That Sony retails for $6700 and there is no authorized dealer (net or shop) that would come close to even $6000...there are a few UNauthorized dealer on net selling for $5500 (before shipping cost). In addition, prior to changing over to Sony DVD player, i got Denon DVD 1930 for only $179 (retails for about $369...max discount to $315), again due to mistake on his part and he had to stick by it.

I gotta say...Tweeter rocks in terms of their aftersales service. They are very accomodating. I exchanged 2 Denon DVD players within a week without any questions. Just bought in the DVD player and they gave me a brand new one out of the box. Same goes for my last exchange from Denon to Sony DVD player. Very easy. No hassle.

Highly recommend Tweeter.

Last edited:
The key to good discounts at tweeter is to develop an ongoing relationship with a high producing salesperson who will soon become a manager. I bought my Summits from Tweeter's southern branch called Sound Advice. Over the years I've become friendly with a manager who is one of us...an audiophile (he also owns Summits). When I bought my Summits last March I was able to get a Theater i kicked in for "free". That represents a good solid 24% discount on all three. I recently picked up a pair of mosaics (which ML and Tweeter seem to be clearing out) for $1K.

Last edited:
Well, the guys from tweeter finally showed last night ("truck trouble") and brought the stores demo pair of Summits. What abuse has been bestowed on these poor things. There were missing the locking washer on one spike and the jumpers didn't match (they were using the supplied ML jumpers on the left and a homemade pair of jumper cables on the right. The speakers were wrapped in bubble wrap! I simply dropped them into almost the same place I always kept my Divas (60" from the back wall and 46" from side wall to center of speaker with a bit of toe in-room is 16 x 14, short wall placement). Set the two bass switches to zero and beautiful music began to emerge. Obviously these were voiced for the "extra tweak" placement noted in the owners manual. Have others tried this with the same results? I plan to post my thoughts of the Summits vs the Divas when I am comfortable with the sound of the Summits, but will share some immediate impressions. The Summits are much easier for my Rowland to drive and I had to turn down the volume on my Ref3. The Summits play much louder past the point of pain without apparent stress. Mo' better bass, tight and deep! The Divas bring the perormance into the room, the Summits transport me to another place and time (here vs elsewhere). Much more detail and transparency from the Summits-I'm hearing new info with every CD I play (the analog rig is warming up now). The Summit is slightly threadbare harmonically compared to the Diva, which is voiced for a much warmer tonal balance. The Diva is a more coherent and cut from the same cloth speaker than the Summit (3 ribbons) and has better stage height, but not better width or depth. This is going to be an issue with me and will likely lead to insane and obsessive tweaking. I guess there is no substitute for a 6 plus foot line source! All in all a geat beginning. Right now I am listening to Van Morrison's live Back On Top CD and I like what I am hearing Stay tuned!

Oh no! Almost as if on cue my trusty Sonic Frontiers tube DAC just went berserk! Lights a flashin' and crackling sounds from both speakers! Arrgh! So it looks like its the Ayre C5xe alone for the near future. Bummer...

try adjusting the tilt (forward/back) of the summits to affect stage height.

Stage height is very easily adjusted on the Summits. This has a lot to do with the tilt and the height at which you sit.

I have been playing with tilt as you folks suggested and indeed have managed to improve image height. I harvested a pair of ESP Essence power cords from the video system to use on the Summits. What a difference in the quality of the bass. Tighter, faster, deeper. I never felt aftermarket power cords made a big difference with my Aeons anyway but here we are talking plainly audible improvement. Oh no...

Back