Summits are here!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jk319

Reaction score
Thanks again Kruppy for that listing before, as it sent me off on a fast and furious upgrade to these speakers. If it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t have these right now. That’s a fact, and so thank you. :bowdown: I can’t believe they are in my room. I almost don’t deserve such. (Notice I did say ‘almost’). Well, first impressions: as expected, they are incredible. I wish I did not have the large dlp tv, of which I am sure is disrupting the imaging at least to some degree. The speakers are a good 9 ft apart, and are in front of the tv. Also, the imaging is heavier on the left, and I realized that the rake of the left Summit was more vertical. I think the old wood floors must be uneven. I have temporarily put a manual underneath the right speaker’s rear legs to get a similar rake. Improved for sure, however, the left side is open to the kitchen/nook, and Im sure this is playing with the imaging just a bit. No dedicated room.

All in all, extreeeemly happy. :banana: However, I do now realize how I’ve been spoiled with my innumerable visits to showrooms this year, with perfectly symmetrical rooms and incredibly expensive amplification, transports, cabling, even DAC’s. I am very impressed with the fantastic bass response and fidelity, something I was not necessarily expecting. A very big departure from the Vantages I now realize.

I am starting to rediscover my entire cd collection. This will take a long time as I have many recordings (well, a subjective statement, but its true in comparison to my friends). I am hearing all kinds of things. Itzhak Perlman’s sausage fingers articulating on the fingerboard of his violin. The friction of the horse hair of the bow on the string. Dynamic stresses and nuances leading up to strange modulations/key changes in a late Mozart symphony. Unreal counterpoint in some Josquin and Ockeghem motets and masses. Etc, etc, etc. Piano recordings sound, simply put, spectacular. I hear the dampers hit the strings when pedals are lifted. Jazz recordings are given a true soundstage and slam… yadda yadda… lugano put it well, can’t remember the words exactly, something about ML owners being more particularly music owners. Wow. Listening to Starker and Sebok right now. I can “see” Starker sitting in front of the piano…

The one thing I think of upgrading now are the electronics. Although, honestly and seriously, the refurbed NAD t163 and t973 seem to be perfectly adequate for me. If I moved up, I’d go to the Masters series most likely. However, I think Im going to sit out for future hdmi 1.3 pre/pros after all the debugging of the so-called hdcp algorithms. :cool:

Well, kcl, I tried to cancel the sub order the following morning after our conversation on this topic. They wouldn’t do so. They say I will be very happy with it, which I am sure will be the case, but hey, its just money. :eek: I got a great deal, and I bet I could sell it right off for the price I paid, but I will just keep it I think. It’s a JL F113. Fantastic sub. I have heard from one source that stereo mode on the NAD will automatically kick out the sub. Im not sure that this is necessarily a good thing, as the fidelity of the JL is simply astounding. We will see, it will arrive in another week.

The fresco-i looks and sounds fantastic. I love that the dimensions are perfect for me. Height: It fits perfectly in front of the tv w/o blocking display. Depth: still fits on top of the stand/cabinet. Width: doesn’t block the tv’s speakers or remote sensor. Piano black matches the tv stand. Best possible scenario in terms of getting it to ear level. Not being in the cabinet allows it to disperse more freely without glass directly above the speaker, etc. It really is very well voice matched. I do not have to worry about the dipolar reflections from a Stage to the glass/metal tv stand, although I am giving up some slam for sure. I have only briefly played with the on-wall or free-standing settings of the speaker, and so far I prefer the latter, even if it up against the tv. Although, the Stage is undoubtedly the best match, I still immediately noticed the sibilance typical of a metal tweeter. If ML makes a center without one (just ‘stat for upper register), then I’d be really, really interested. Anyways, more money, hah! Well, these are my early impressions/feelings. Otherwise I got some perfectly adequate (for me) “blemished” PSB bookshelves for the surrounds and rears (I don’t see any blemishes). X-over'd the fresco at 80hz, left the surrounds as "large". Some tall stands for them. Dealer threw in some Tara Labs Helix 8 speaker wire at a very good price.

Long post, sorry. A few small q’s for the regulars:
1) Will I be satisfied with the electronics for a good stretch of time, as I am hoping?
2) Suggestions to get the rake similar? How much margin of height difference can the ML spikes give? Or how about jtwrace’s spikes?
3) How do people like my speaker wires? Never auditioned speaker wire, buying rather blindly here.
4) I think I will need a new CD transport someday in the near future. I am using a Denon dvd-1730. It would be nice to have sacd/dvda playback as well, particularly dvd-a. (After all I think I will use the 7.1 inputs for a future hi-def dvd player, whenever that may be). My dealer recommends the tubed Jolida player. Suggestions?

Well, my odyssey has nearly ended. :music: Still have to pick up the rear speakers and stands. I am now a proud owner. Wow! No looking back now. This is what my ML manual says:

“Thank you- to you the MartinLogan owner
for loving what we do,
and
for making it possible for us to do what we love”

Appreciation all around…

Ps. Oh sorry, I don’t have a digital camera!

congrats and thanks for the great write-up!

to your question...1) Will I be satisfied with the electronics for a good stretch of time, as I am hoping?

my fearless forecast...Yes, and we can calcuate the exact length of time -- till you run through your cd collection once...or before that...whichever comes first...

cheers!

jk319,
Your welcome, but.....you better borrow a digital camera and fast. I'm very jealous. I wish I was able to what you have just done. NOW go and post your system so I can live vicariously through you!

So it begins....

.... welcome to the Summit club!

I think you already got the secret handshake in the last thread...

It begins with the Summits and ends with a neverending climb for better electronics, better room, and better chairs.

Let me add my congratulations, also. You're already starting to glimpse the wonderful journey ahead for you.
Well, kcl, I tried to cancel the sub order the following morning after our conversation on this topic. They wouldn’t do so. They say I will be very happy with it, which I am sure will be the case, but hey, its just money.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. All it means is that you've got overkill on the low end for HT. It doesn't subtract anything (well, aside from money ;) ) it just doesn't add as much as it would with lessor speakers.
1) Will I be satisfied with the electronics for a good stretch of time, as I am hoping?
I would say yes. In fact, I would suggest shouldn't do any significant upgrades for a while and break yourself in with your new system. Listen and enjoy it for a number of months first. The quality of sound has been increased so much for you right now, that you need to get used to it before you start fiddling with it. (Just re-read what you've written about your own CD library. See how much things have changed? Get used to that first.) I've had mine for four months or so and I'm just now starting to get used to how things like placement changes can affect the soundstage and such in the room.
4) I think I will need a new CD transport someday in the near future. I am using a Denon dvd-1730. It would be nice to have sacd/dvda playback as well, particularly dvd-a.
You might want to consider the Oppo 970 or 981. They're ridiculously cheap (only $150 and $230, respectively) but are highly regarded. You can also get them upgraded to very high levels for relatively few dollars. Check out Reference Audio Mods, which is where I picked up a 970 with all of the mods except the power supply (about $1250 total, including the unit), and IMO the result is a CD/SACD/DVD-A/DVD transport that is equivalent to units three times more expensive. Check out the link.
Ps. Oh sorry, I don’t have a digital camera!
That is not acceptable! You are required to at least borrow one so we can all get our vicarious happy's from of your system. :D

Last edited:
Thank you everyone

for the congratulations and input. I have a friend who is right now buying some new recordings to listen to on MY system, heeheehee. Ya, Im just going to keep everything I have now. Its just great. I wish I could figure out how to get the sub hooked up in a 2.1 stereo system. There are no high level inputs on the sub, hmmmm. And the NAD boots out the sub in stereo mode, unless perhaps I x-over the Summits- um, no chance in hell will I do that. What do I do? Different pre/pro?

Thanks for that link kcl. I now remember that you've posted about these modified players before. I am going to take your advice here, and first break myself in, haha.

(Secret Handshakes)

Thanks again! Have a great weekend all, please. -jk

JK...

You do realize that you're the first in our club with the only JL Audio Fathom! Now.... get the pics going man!

Oh... and enjoy your Summits! We all enjoy our MLs... have a great weekend!

Joey

Thanks Joey,

The sub doesn't get here for another week or so. I am very loathe to attach the old htib sub right now, to see if I can get a 2.1. I just am loathe to put a high-pitched, single-pitched farting machine coupled to the Summits right now. A friend may come over later tonight and I will try to remember and ask him to bring his camera. Happy momma's day to all.

Congratulations. Make sure you give the Summits plenty of time to run in - and plenty of time for you to adjust to the sound. I found the initial placement and bass adjustments were not the best. I had them too close to the wall and too much 50Hz extension dialed in. Now I've got them right (after 10 months...) with -3db @ 50Hz and 0db @ 25Hz. Also don't worry about the electronics for a while. You need to get the speakers right first, otherwise you'll waste money.

Thank you edwin.

They were demo's, so they have had some time already to break in (dealer guesses around 40 hours), and I've done some considerable listening in a short span of time. I'm quite happy with the placement. Quite holographic. But, from reading what most regulars here post, I guess I won't really know till a few months from now. (However, I should note that I've already had practice positioning ML's during my 5-6 auditions of electrostats). But that's kind of the issue- I think my dealer is giving me lets say a month or so to upgrade amping at no 'extra' cost or restocking fee, you see. My levels are both at 0db at the moment. I am waiting for a fellow musician friend to come wednesday night to help me possibly calibrate it. Although, I know he tends to prefer a fatter/rounder bass, and I tend to like it more defined even at the expense of possibly being leaner, fwiw. Most excellent musician, absolutely not an audiophile. We should find a happy medium between the two of us. Or we may just sit there with stupid grins and not touch a thing I suppose :eek:

Well, I am obviously listening with a lot more intention and exigence now. Which in turn makes me desire the blackest background possible. So now I have to figure a way to dampen the sounds of my cable box that is always whirring, even when its turned off. Next tweak = putting components on top of it ;) Thanks again, jk319

To dial my bass in just right I picked a Keb Mo CD (Suitcase track 2) which offered a kind of boomy mid bass. I thought it was the recording. But after I finally worked it out, I realised that in my room there is some bass lift around 50Hz or so. So now I've dialed the 50Hz back a little until Keb Mo sounded punchy but without boom - while still maintaining the bass extension. Now I've done this, all my other CD's sound really good...

The hard part for me was to find a disc that was well recorded but exhibited the worst kind of bass behaviour for my room. I used several classical and jazz discs but I just couldn't get the bass adjustment right that carried through to most of my musical listening preferences.

Last edited:
Ya, I can see Keb Mo being a great disc for tweaking the bass levels. Too bad I don't have any. I might try some Stevie Wonder (Innervisions or Songs from the Key of Life) or James Brown (Big Payback/Make it funky compilation). I tried finding a poll or thread here about how often people vacuum their stats. No luck. But at least I voted on a few polls while looking, hehe. Also tried to find any poll about Summit users ever using a 2.1 stereo system. Seems unlikely or rare?

So I was checking out the NAD Masters series online. As happy as I am right now, I do notice the background being less black and a little less defined than in the few showrooms I've heard ML 'stats in. Still a relatively musical setup and I do enjoy the 'warmth' of the NAD. I recall some fancy Krell unit, I believe an integrated, being more defined but a bit too forward/bright at times, particularly with vocal music, I'd even say distortion. Sticking with solid state here I'm pretty sure as they are my HT speakers too. Well, the M15 pre/pro does not extract pcm audio from the hdmi. Hm. I can upgrade to it for $900 more. Then there's the T-175 coming out later this year, but it seems that the M15 should still be superior in terms of sq, if not features. Ah well, no biggie. I'll keep ya udpated :D

JK,

Glad you're enjoying the heck out of your new Summits. Remember, never blame the speakers... they're so transparent to the upstreams that most likely, it's the upstreams that are lacking.

I know you're not blaming the Summits for anything, but I just wanted to stress that fact. I began to find faults in the Summits after a few months of owning it at first, but I found out it was my upstream that was holding things back.

Enjoy!!

Joey :)

Exactly, Joey. Absolutely, positively, no-way-in-hell I am blaming the Summits. Conversely, they seem to be applying pressure to upgrade the components upstream! I know it will be more, but I rather do it now, than 6 months from now. Then again... taking it cool.

Btw, now I am really, really going to start reading up here.... hehe.

Joey, if they had a "forum member of the day/week/month", I'd wonder how many times we'd see your framed picture on the ML wall, heh. :D

btw, I really enjoyed reading your review of the Plinius. Only remember half of it now. Never seen one, nor a Cary, nor a Pass Labs. Don't want to ask the price on those. Hey, are people rather successful blending a HI-end 2-ch amp w/ a decent multi-ch for the rest of an HT setup? I haven't really come across a whole lot of that...

Anyways, must rush off. Another friend here tonight, she's eating now, but more listening in a bit! see ya tomorrow...

Thanks JK! Compliments make me blush!

Oh... and dont forget to find yourself a good listening chair! Or you can read up on my troubles and tribulations in my quest for my own. :) :D

This is one fun forum aint it?

And I wholeheartedly agree with you, the Summits do pressure use to spoil 'em...

Sons of beetches....

Joey :p

Joey, so I did read about your hunt for a chair. I forgot the name, but the more expensive will looks fabulous! You know I’ve been kind of wondering about the negative effects of the 35” high couch in the room. I’m not very tall. Anyways, oh boy. Update:

Got the rear speakers and four stands setup now. Changed out the black bookshelves for sienna. Noice!
I've only done about 15-30 minutes of HT testing as compared to countless hours of 2-ch listening.

When I went to pick the stuff up yesterday, I was thinking about how I am juuuust not quite getting the "magic" I was hoping for. (Im sure you guys MUST relate, I bet audio is the proverbial carrot on the stick?). Checked out all the cool, very hi-end stuff, BAT, etc. Dunno why, might as well hang out in Ferrari dealerships while Im at it. Well, dealer thought the cd transport was where the bang-for-the-buck upgrade should be, along with a few interconnects. So, as I presently have intense diarrhea of the wallet, I picked up a Jolida tubed player. I briefly considered the NAD M5 at almost twice the cost. But, I've decided not to delve into multi-ch music anyways, and add the fact that my speakers are mismatched. Well, I can say the new player gives me a WORLD of difference. So last night I put on the very last disc I listened to from the night before, Tallis Scholars performing Ockeghem (I've got several recordings of this composer), and after 2 seconds I noticed the disappearance of sibilance, after 5 seconds the smoothness of timbres, after 10 seconds the dramatically increased midrange separation. Ten seconds and I was sold. As I connected them immediately with the new Tara Labs interconnects, Im not sure how much either component is adding to the greatly, greatly improved performance. Hours later, listening with my best friend (no we didn't adjust the bass levels, haha, I wanted him to just enjoy recordings he brought, as we grew up listening to music together. We'll get to it later I'm sure) I noticed greater definition of details in the softest of passages. We listened to, in order, Webern (Arditti string quartet), Pink Floyd , Phish, Ives (orchestrations of his songs), John Zorn (w/ Barron, Douglas,etc), Shostakovich (my disc). Could be forgetting something. The last was my favorite, the piano quintet recorded live as performed by the Borodin quartet + Richter. Unf^$!%#!*!%*lievable. :drool: I love my speakers. Yep, friend says he heard things he’s never heard before, even with discs he’s listened to countless times over the past decade or more. Needless to say, I know, I know, forgive me.

A few questions. You know, I never hooked up my dvd-1730 thru analog outputs, just assuming the pre/pro would be much superior in processing. I forgot about the Burr-Brown DAC built into the dvd player. The Jolida also has Burr-Brown, but Im sure of a superior sort. I don't know what Im asking, should I try the dvd player's analog outputs? (oh btw, I see that I can get the Jolida modified. Not interested at the moment, but I wonder if anyone here has one).
Secondly, as the interconnects are 5ft long, will I notice any improvement with shorter lengths? Im guessing not. Im not sure if the dealer has such. I guess in the (dare I say) unlikely event that I ever buy a super-hefty amp that needs its own stand, Id have the lengths. Well, for now, the new cd player has relieved me of wanting to change out my pre/pro or amp. (whew?)
Lastly, I thought I read that the Masters pre/pro (or was it my t163) actually took analog inputs to digital (for dsp or something) and spit them out again as analog. Then someone mentioned that this was actually a common thing in today's units??? I can't find where I read that, it was at AVS. Dealer was like, nope, nuh-uh. Comments?

Still not done with this post!

The JL sub arrived today. Its sitting boxed in the living room right now!! I am trying my best (feebly) to possibly consider selling it as NIB, but that feels like a guaranteed failure waiting to happen :devil: ... Oi. Ow. Oh man. Welcome to jk's whirwind...

Alright, gonna play some basketball. Maybe I’ll open the sub later tonight. Now where’s my aspirin…

JK.... what whirlwind it has been. I bet it's a great feeling accumulating all this new gear! I'm jealous!

Give us impressions of the JL sub... and PICS!

Joey ;)

You think you still need to augment the Summits bass? For 2 channel, you probably dont need to unless your room is medium to large.... but for HT, I think you need all the help you can get.

WTH, I say open it!!!

:devil:

Back