Summit X with BAT...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audio Pharaoh

Reaction score
Howdy !

Planning for a new Summit X soon and would like to know if a VK-75SE be enough to drive them, considering the woofers are active, or do they really need the power of a pair of VK-150SE's..?

TIA!

AP

You're just going to have to have a listen and make your decision based on your preferences and budget. We can't really answer that for you - sorry.

Can't say for sure, but considering the VK-55SE that I have in for review does a great job powering the Spire and CLX, I'm guessing a VK-75SE will do just fine. If you need more volume, you can always get a 2nd one. Use the low impedance tap and you'll be styling. Nice combination.

Also, if you decide on this amp, consider getting your hands on a pair of NOS 6SN7's and 6H30's at some point. That will allow you to tune the whole system a bit more to your liking and the NOS tubes will last longer than current stuff.

The 6C33 power tubes in the amp are pretty durable and inexpensive. Don't know that there are many variations (if any) on the theme for those.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the heads up Jeff. How do you rate the sonic synergy between the Logans and the BAT in general ?

Thanks again!

AP

Outstanding. Honestly, it's the best tube sound I've heard with current ML product.

I've tried older CJ, some of the newer CJ, Manley (the 250 monos aren't bad either), Prima Luna, the Mac MC275 and the BAT VK-55SE

However, I haven't had a chance to listen to current ARC. We've got either a Ref110 or pair of 210s on the way shortly. Got high hopes there too.

Make sure you listen to both the vk 55 and the 75. I heard both with the Vantages over a long audition period. I like the vk 55 better - it has more tube sound, if that's what you are looking for. The vk75 tries to sound too much like solid state with the tube midrange. It can't compete with good quality ss, IMO, except in the midrange. However, the vk55 midrange is better. To my ears the vk 55 is the tube amp for the Logans, so give it a try.

I agree with David, I also prefer the tonality of the 55 to the 75, but we all know how subjective this can be.

Also, are you talking about the VK-55 or the new SE version? The VK-55 uses four 6SN7's, while the SE uses a pair of 6H30's and a pair of 6SN7's.

I'm reviewing the SE and thinking of buying it to keep it around as a great all purpose tube amp. I'm a dyed in the wool CJ fan, but I really like the VK-55SE, it's a keeper!

I agree with David, I also prefer the tonality of the 55 to the 75, but we all know how subjective this can be.

Also, are you talking about the VK-55 or the new SE version? The VK-55 uses four 6SN7's, while the SE uses a pair of 6H30's and a pair of 6SN7's.

I'm reviewing the SE and thinking of buying it to keep it around as a great all purpose tube amp. I'm a dyed in the wool CJ fan, but I really like the VK-55SE, it's a keeper!

I heard the VK55, not the SE as it was not out then, and was blown away, as you can tell. I would guess the 55SE is better, but would want to hear both if I were paying the $$$.

The only trouble with the BAT gear is you can't roll the power valves - cos they use that big Russian 6C33C tube. And it only comes from one source...

To be honest, I'd love to try some BAT gear. They don't feature too much over here. They had some in Sound By Singer in NYC when I walked in a while back, hooked up to some big JM Labs... and a pair of MF KWs by the wayside:D But they were resolutely in the OFF state:(

If you don't regard the power tube issue as a problem, and you like 'em, then :cool:.

Last edited:
I guess that there aren't many sources for the 6C33C tubes Justin, but I just love the big fatties! They are sexy beasts - I mean just look at the nipples on them! There are a few other very reputable manufacturers using them in their designs (Joule Electra and Tenor come to mind) . I got to listen to the 55SE at my local dealer and was VERY tempted. There are a few available on AudioGon right now like the one below in the $3K range.

I've thought about getting two and bridging them (easily accomplished by all accounts) to drive my CLS's.

Attachments

• VK55SE.jpg
    VK55SE.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 894
Last edited:
I guess that there aren't many sources for the 6C33C tubes Justin, but I just love the big fatties! They are sexy beasts - I mean just look at the nipples on them! There are a few other very reputable manufacturers using them in their designs (Joule Electra and Tenor come to mind) . I got to listen to the 55SE at my local dealer and was VERY tempted. There are a few available on AudioGon right now like the one below in the $3K range.

I've thought about getting two and bridging them (easily accomplished by all accounts) to drive my CLS's.

Indeedy. Tim, they are triodes. And triodes are always awesome in a competent circuit. If you think you can get enough power out of them to drive the CLS, do it. If they don't work, re-list them. It really is that simple (with a bit of risk - but hey, that's exciting too!).

Since there are more than two does that make them "udders" ??

Since there are more than two does that make them "udders" ??

No, not udders, if we must change the description we could possibly go with teats, but I still prefer nipples (and incidentilly, I believe it would be the correct term from a manufacturing perspective).

They look like chubby little fertility godesses to me. And look at 'em; all Glow-ey!

Yeah, it's in my book as a "cool":D tube alright. Actually, they are much bigger in real life than the photo hints at. I'll have to see if I can coax my 211s into growing some nipples... I'll try some female growth hormones on 'em tonight:D

They look a bit like Daleks, actually... does that mean anything to an American?

And the BAT design is interesting because it used toroidal transformers.

No, not udders, if we must change the description we could possibly go with teats, but I still prefer nipples (and incidentilly, I believe it would be the correct term from a manufacturing perspective).

They look like chubby little fertility godesses to me. And look at 'em; all Glow-ey!
There is an ode to them in "Carmina Burana". The guys who think classical music is boring should really sit down with a translation of the words to that opera. The musical phrase ends with what translates into "twin apples". Time to stop this discussion before Tom bans me !

Da na na na na na BATman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POW!
KERCHANG!
BIFF!!
SMACK!

Most stupidest post of the day...:)

Back