Summit X to CLX - is it worth it?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with Justin... and was it the dealer who placed them at 3 feet? If so, he should summarily executed ;)

Infact just measured and they are almost 4 ft from rear wall.

There will be much more placement work if and when I get my actual pair.

M.

Thin Red Line soundtrack (Hans Zimmer)

Recommended (HP / TAS) Cuts 3,6,7, and 9.

GG

Try "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" from Bela Fleck. It's a challange to reproduce the range of bass tones and SPLs properly. It's a track my 2CH system performs phenomenaly well!

99fe9833e7a0af6a859b2110.L._AA300_.jpg

Great deep bass, just when you think it wont go lower, it does!

Have ordered the Thin Red Line and the Richard Strauss suggestions.

Hopefully I will have the speakers for a couple of weeks so plenty of listening time to be had 😄

So far so good. I have not come across any disc which has not outperformed the same rendition on my Summits.

M.

thought you would like them. Don't forget, the CLX opitmized xover board is only seen on R/L inputs, not the LFE. The balanced connector on a Descent is an LFE input. there won't be issues on noise or gain since you have control on the subs to offset the gain seen from balanced configurations.

Nope! Anything else you recommend? Mind you with the sub I am confident that there will be no limitations.

M.
How about that overblown piece of music, the 1812 Overture, with cannons, church bells, and a choir. Or Saent-Saens Organ Symphony. For sheer transients try the finale of Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony; I heard it live, conducted by Rostropovich, and it was astounding.

Too me the advantage of the CLX over other ML models is that electrostatic panels cover range from 56hz and up in CLX compared to 270 hz and up in other models...

If your room is large enough to work with CLX, I feel it is better than the Summit X. Sadly for me, my room not big enough for CLX and I do not have budget for the CLX ((((( The CLX is my dream speaker if room was large enough )))))

I have owned many electrostatics over the years ( Acoustats, Martin Logan and Quad ) and to me electrostatics are very special ))))))

Dan
Hey folks! been awhile. I also agree with the Martin logan upgrade path. Started with Vantage 3 years ago, went to Spire then to CLX. I will never look back. As far as the room size, most people except Roberto? say you need a huge room, which in reality is the correct and ideal situation for the CLX. But I have a very small room with the CLX 19x10x8 (CLX on 10ft wall) and the sound is absolutely amazing. I also have the Decent i with filter in the mix. I went to Todds house and listened there with a much much larger room and they sounded absolutely amazing. I have no regrets.

Last edited:
Managed to have some listening time this evening. Still finding them amazing!! Listened to Norah Jones 'Come Away With Me' (amongst other CDs) - wow. They are definitely getting better each time I listen. The soundstage is huge, depth of image huge, analytics abundant.

Tomorrow I will have more time to dedicate to the cause :)

Also to clarify, I am running the Descent I balanced from my preamp not RCA.

M.

I think your last comment here is directed at my comments on your hookup of the Descent i to the system. Again, running a balanced cable to the sub means that it is hooked up to an unfiltered input(LFE) and as result, the subs filter is not in line. You are using the SMS 1 so can be affecting blending there, but for all others, remember our LFE inputs are purposely unfiltered and the L/R inputs see our filters.

Hi Peter,

To confirm I am not using a SMS-1, the connection is direct to the Descent via balanced cable.

Thx
M.

then you have no filter on the Descent. Experiment if you can with single ended to the R/ inputs so you can experiment with the filter points on the Descent for more blend option as well as the ability to experiment with a CLX x over board installed over riding the bottom filter position. just all about options.

I will experiment for sure. Out of interest how are others connecting their Descent I with the CLX's?
M.

Peter,

Isn't the "filter" meant to provide the most seamless blend between the sub and the CLX's without compromising the sound quality of the sub?

Gordon

I will experiment for sure. Out of interest how are others connecting their Descent I with the CLX's?
M.

In my case, my "pre" (which is actually a DAC) includes two sets of variable line level outs. I connect the balanced outs to my amps, and the unbalanced outs to my two Depth i subs.

Only a few days dem left now. Have you come to a firm decision on them yet? Seems like you're pretty keen...

the filter takes in consideration the natural roll off of the CLX and the best hand off from the sub so works nicely. this not to say plenty of patience, different room issues, equipment signatures may make it unnecessary or that some other settings won't work as well or even better.
in the end, the ear does the driving. my reason for responding is to make sure all understand the LFE versus R/L inputs and that he gets the best potential sound in his demo situation. As a manufactering lurker, it behooves me to comment on possible misunderstandings so a person has the best potential for achieving our intended sound. The down side is that i can't be in a room through the internet so have to respect observations that might differ from my experiences.

Still loving them - looks like no way back.

I will be trying RCA over weekend but that seems to make much more sense now that Peter kindly pointed out I wouldn't be taking into consideration the x-over board using balanced runs!

The one thing I have not tried, and won't be able to, is having dual subs. How much of an improvement overall would people rate it? I completely understand that the room will be much more evenly loaded etc, but in practice how noticeable is it? I am currently focused on dual subs but just wanted to get some other feedback before biting the bullet!!!

Thanks
M.

Peter, you contribution here is very much appreciated.

Can you comment on the statement I read somewhere that you know that a sub it set up correctly when you don't notice it until you turn it off, i.e. You should mot normally be aware of the sub.

The one thing I have not tried, and won't be able to, is having dual subs. How much of an improvement overall would people rate it? I completely understand that the room will be much more evenly loaded etc, but in practice how noticeable is it? I am currently focused on dual subs but just wanted to get some other feedback before biting the bullet!!!
If you have reasonable flexibility as regards placement of the two subs, it can make a substantial difference by flattening the FR in the modal region - more accurate, tighter bass. If you were to purchase some form of inexpensive RTA (XTZ/OmniMic/REW), measurement of the FR and decay characteristics from 20-200Hz would provide objective data we could discuss and which you could use to make informed decisions about how to achieve audible improvement. :devil:

Back