Summit X to CLX - is it worth it?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately it has been put back to next Thursday! So I just need to be patient for an extra week!!

On the plus side, I will have my new Finite Elemente Master Reference racks in place so will get a more definitive view on overall system performance 😄.

M.

Unfortunately it has been put back to next Thursday! So I just need to be patient for an extra week!!

On the plus side, I will have my new Finite Elemente Master Reference racks in place so will get a more definitive view on overall system performance 😄.

M.

Bummer.

Not sure if you are a camera kind of a guy, Marc, but if you are, I'm sure we'd like to see some pics of the dealer setup, hint, hint!!!:)

I will try my best. I am not sure if they will be leaving them with me for a couple of days. If so I will have ample time for some photos!!

M.

. I am not sure if they will be leaving them with me for a couple of days. If so I will have ample time for some photos!!

M.
I'd insist on it at that level and in UK context I'd expect it of high end dealer!!

So the CLX's are in the house!!!

I am listening to the Anniversaries with a single Descent I.

First impressions were WOW - the soundstage is so big, depth of image. They were in a different league to my Summits. I spent some time without the sub on the CLX but I found that I was missing the bottom end.

So we plugged the Descent in. Wow again, what a difference. My feeling is that they really do need the sub, in a way regardless of what music you listen to.

The speakers have been on site for almost 2 days now. They are improving as time goes by - the panel definitely needed the full 48 hour charge.

I can honestly say I never expected there to be such a difference between the Summit X and the CLX. Boy was I wrong!! They really are something special. Now I just need to sort the deal out!!

I am thinking about going for dual subs - having the room balanced will make a big difference. I am also fortunate that my Ref40 has dual balanced outputs for my sub.

So looks like another CLX owner in the making. I don't think there are too many of us in the UK.

Let me know your thoughts?!
M.

Glad to hear it's going well.

I felt exactly the same way between last listen of Summit-X to first listen of CLX (in my room)... just WOW! Also concur on the need for a sub - most music benefits. The woofer panel itself, careful-crossover point, and tight integration between HF and LF panels... I think these are the secret sauce that so elevates the CLX.

Did you play any music that you thought you knew really well only to find new information surfacing during playback via the CLXs? If so, pls elaborate.

Marck, glad to hear they are everything you imagined ......and then some !

Glad to hear it's going well.

I felt exactly the same way between last listen of Summit-X to first listen of CLX (in my room)... just WOW! Also concur on the need for a sub - most music benefits. The woofer panel itself, careful-crossover point, and tight integration between HF and LF panels... I think these are the secret sauce that so elevates the CLX.

Did you play any music that you thought you knew really well only to find new information surfacing during playback via the CLXs? If so, pls elaborate.

So not so much new information surfacing but a whole new dimension. Soundstage, depth, details just a massive step up from the Summits. I never thought I would say it but the CLX's really are a massive step up in performance from the Summits.

Most amazing thing - they are large speakers, but you just can't place / hear them in the room. The music just appears and plays - they simply disappear.

Listening to Norah Jones at the moment... 😄

M.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322953793.064081.jpg

CLX's in situ...

How far are they from the wall, Marc? On a mobile so hard to tell.

Also, some prefer JL subs to the Descent... so they might be worth thinking about.

Nice room and plenty of space for getting the best from them. Enjoy.

Last edited:
They are about 3 ft from rear wall. Promise to take some proper photos tomorrow!!

Certainly enjoying 😄
M.

They are about 3 ft from rear wall. Promise to take some proper photos tomorrow!!

Certainly enjoying 😄
M.

I meant I was on a mobile at the time - wasn't having a stab at the photo. But better ones would be cool:)

Try pulling them out to the 5 foot mark - but really try all sorts as long as it is greater than 3 feet. Don't forget they are generating even more rear energy than the Summit X's did - they do go down to 60Hz as a dipole. I'm betting that'll work better. I know my speakers aren't happy at 3 foot. Plus the usual toe in endeavours.

I meant I was on a mobile at the time - wasn't having a stab at the photo. But better ones would be cool:)

Try pulling them out to the 5 foot mark - but really try all sorts as long as it is greater than 3 feet. Don't forget they are generating even more rear energy than the Summit X's did - they do go down to 60Hz as a dipole. I'm betting that'll work better. I know my speakers aren't happy at 3 foot. Plus the usual toe in endeavours.

Agree with Justin... and was it the dealer who placed them at 3 feet? If so, he should summarily executed ;)

Marc, do you have a copy of "Also Sprach Zarathustra"? - my usual test for bass.

Nope! Anything else you recommend? Mind you with the sub I am confident that there will be no limitations.

M.

Try "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" from Bela Fleck. It's a challange to reproduce the range of bass tones and SPLs properly. It's a track my 2CH system performs phenomenaly well!

99fe9833e7a0af6a859b2110.L._AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
Back