Summit X on the way, shipping soon...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly, which is what I'm doing. Now "IF" the Summitt 'X' is the same pannel as our Spires with nothing more that increased woofer (albeit size or quanity) along with additional amplifier capabilities......well simple math will tell you can do better with the Spire's single 10" bass driver and the addition of one or two top notch subs !

True. And by going the sub route (especially using Depth i or Descent is), the upgrade path to the CLX becomes a bit easier! One can either do this:

Spire -> Summit X -> CLX -> CLX + subs

(where one might reasonably argue that Summit Xs don't need bass augmentation via subs) or this:

Spire -> Spire + subs -> CLX + subs

Heh, I'm still awaiting delivery of my Spires (damned snow storms!), and I'm already planning my next speaker upgrade! :)

I just do not understand it. Lets make a speaker that looks exactly like the Summit and change a few internals and sell it for more money ! Now I am not bashing ML but not having an upgrade package for the current Summit owners is a slap in the face! The idea of anyone buying a Summit x over a Spire is beyond my thinking. Its the SAME PANEL ! NO WAY TO CHANGE THAT IN THE X-over. As for bass that cant be changed a whole lot as then you will get boomy sound. Remember its CLX technology they are trying to implicate into this speaker. What did they use just partial CLX ideas in the Spire and now they will use some more and call it the X upgrade ! IF so then they doped the Spire owners into buying because of the advertising of the new Technology in it. Or was it partial new technology and some saved for the Summit X ??????

I,for one, couldn't agree with you more. I've been a loyal ML owner for close to 20 years now. I've owned Sequels, Ascents and Summits. The time for change may be near!

at 14k it better be more than a new crossover and an extra woofer ! if its not I do not think it will sell very well. I think martin logan has something up their sleeve we have not actually seen this speaker yet

Heh, I'm still awaiting delivery of my Spires (damned snow storms!), and I'm already planning my next speaker upgrade! :)
Are you not sorry you turned down the ones they did have for you, but with the wrong terminals? You guys sure are having an unusual dump of snow.

at 14k it better be more than a new crossover and an extra woofer ! if its not I do not think it will sell very well. I think martin logan has something up their sleeve we have not actually seen this speaker yet

That's what I am banking on. It's hard for me to believe that the only difference from the Spire to the Summit X is the addition of another sub. That's a huge jump in price. If the only difference is in fact the sub section it would need to hang with or outperform a pair of Depthi which is unlikely.

From what I understand ML's sub sales have been down for awhile. Maybe they have some 'magic' in the sub section and are charging a premium for it since they don't expect to be able to sell a ML sub or subs with the Summit X IMO.

I think there will be more than the addition of a second sub! When the Spire was released, we had a discussion about ML filling the gap between the Vantage and the Summit. I, among others, said there was no gap. I guess this has been proven by the retirement of the Summit.

So now they're making something better than the original Summit - nothing wrong with that!

Are you not sorry you turned down the ones they did have for you, but with the wrong terminals? You guys sure are having an unusual dump of snow.

That we are!

Only very mild regret here, which will doubtless evaporate the minute the Spires arrive chez Rich. The snow has eased off (for now) and the temp has actually risen above 0, so hopefully that will be quite soon! :)

But I know that I'll be keeping them a lot longer than the few weeks I've had to wait for the correct terminals, so I know my patience will be rewarded in the longer term.

Let's see what the Summit X brings to the table. If there is anything worthwhile that could be easily implimented, such as a crossover, we could lobby ML for it from this site. Since satisfied ML owners are MLs best marketing tool, we may be effective as a group.

Good point. It is difficult to imagine that Martin Logan -- of all companies -- would do anything to harm their position with their loyal customers. I certainly think they will come up with something that will be of solid benefit to those they need for their company to continue to prosper.

OTOH, I may be completely bonkers... :eek:

ML is incorporating a high tech, bio friendly MDF/laminate they call echosound in the construction of the CLX that supposidly controls resonance and makes the structure much more rigid.

If they were to incorporate that technology into the new Summit X they would likely change the dimensions and internal bracing of the woofer section resulting in tigher and quicker bass. This would account for something that Jeff (ToneAudio) mentioned in a previous thread where he quoted someone from ML that the original Summit CAD drawings had been scrapped. OBTW this is purely speculation on my part.

Last edited:
Does anyone find it kinda curious that ML has pulled the Summit X from the website? I wonder if there's any corporate re-thinking of the project at this late date. Will it or won't it make an appearance at CES?

I think the Summit X will get a lot more realestate than a small spot on the New Products section. It will likely be on the main splash page. IMO

If I purchased a summit at a retail value I would not be upset by this new speaker it does look like improvements have been made but in the real world application how much will this really matter my feeling is not much. they sure are going to ask a pretty penny for it though.

If I purchased a summit at a retail value I would not be upset by this new speaker it does look like improvements have been made but in the real world application how much will this really matter my feeling is not much. they sure are going to ask a pretty penny for it though.

I did purchase mine at retail and I am not upset. I was an early adopter and the MSRP was $10K for what now costs $14K in the Summit X. I'm almost willing to bet that even a/b sided by side there isn't 40% improvement.

I wonder if it is a different panel from the Spire? It shows to be 12.7" whereas the Spire is 12.5" wide.
I would think there has to be an improvement over the Spire at $14k and a dramatic one at that.

I wonder if it is a different panel from the Spire? It shows to be 12.7" whereas the Spire is 12.5" wide.
I would think there has to be an improvement over the Spire at $14k and a dramatic one at that.

I'm sure it's an improvement over the Spire or else nobody would have the motivation to buy it. I'm also sure that it's evolutionary not revolutionary.

Nope, the Spire ESL panel is the same width...12.7 (well 12.68 to be precise)

Latest posts

Back