Summit X on the way, shipping soon...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's going to be mid January, after CES sometime.

You'll see pics as soon as I get them, but like the CLX, there may be some dealers that get em before I do.

Thanks! I am a dealer but can't seem to pry much info from my rep except for what he will be reporting back from CES.
I'm planning on ordering a set for myself but if the biggest difference will still be the bottom end I might stick with the Spire and a pair of JL F110's.

Well, I talked to a number of people at the factory and they said
no update path, so we'll see what happens, but I wouldn't count on it.

I have been told there will be an electronic upgrade, which doesn't involve shipping the speakers back to Oz.

I have been told there will be an electronic upgrade, which doesn't involve shipping the speakers back to Oz.

Umm, given that ML is based in Kansas, why would any hypothetical upgrade involve shipping the speakers back to Oz?

D'oh, forget it, my bad! By Oz, you're referring to the place at the end of the yellow brick road (Emerald City), not the country (Australia)... :eek:

So far according to ML, that's not in the cards. They may change their
minds, but the official word from the factory as of last Friday was no upgrade.

I wouldn't get your hopes up....

I'm sure they will make a public announcement after CES as soon as product is shipping.

I don't know about an upgrade path but one cool new feature of the Summit X if anyone is interested is it's 'unique ground effect light' that is apparently a LED under the woofer cabinet that illuminates the underneath side of the speaker.

I don't know about an upgrade path but one cool new feature of the Summit X if anyone is interested is it's 'unique ground effect light' that is apparently a LED under the woofer cabinet that illuminates the underneath side of the speaker.

This is getting very kitsch.

Kitsch is a term of German or Yiddish origin that has been used to categorize art that is considered an inferior, tasteless copy of an existing style. The term is also used more loosely in referring to any art that is pretentious to the point of being in bad taste, and also commercially produced items that are considered trite or crass.

From what I understand, they will be pretty close in size to the current Summit....
I just do not understand it. Lets make a speaker that looks exactly like the Summit and change a few internals and sell it for more money ! Now I am not bashing ML but not having an upgrade package for the current Summit owners is a slap in the face! The idea of anyone buying a Summit x over a Spire is beyond my thinking. Its the SAME PANEL ! NO WAY TO CHANGE THAT IN THE X-over. As for bass that cant be changed a whole lot as then you will get boomy sound. Remember its CLX technology they are trying to implicate into this speaker. What did they use just partial CLX ideas in the Spire and now they will use some more and call it the X upgrade ! IF so then they doped the Spire owners into buying because of the advertising of the new Technology in it. Or was it partial new technology and some saved for the Summit X ??????

So far according to ML, that's not in the cards. They may change their
minds, but the official word from the factory as of last Friday was no upgrade.

I wouldn't get your hopes up....

I'm sure they will make a public announcement after CES as soon as product is shipping.

Let's see what the Summit X brings to the table. If there is anything worthwhile that could be easily implimented, such as a crossover, we could lobby ML for it from this site. Since satisfied ML owners are MLs best marketing tool, we may be effective as a group.

And this can luckily be switched off easily so as to not distract when watching movies.
My information is also that the X will be very similar to the classic Summit size/look wise, looking forward to seeing pictures of it.
Approx. $14k and shipping at the end of january from what I'm told.

My understanding is that in addition to the crossover technology, things may be structural. They may be playing with the positioning of the woofers to better get the bass in phase with the rest of sound produced by the rest of the speaker.

Just talked to ML this morning and the word is official:

There is no upgrade path from Summit to Summit X.

I don't see how Spire owners are being "duped". In the past, you had the vantage at $5000 and the Summit at $10k. Now you have the Spire at $8500 and the Summit X at $14k.

An extra pair of woofers, amplifiers and whatever else they have incorporated into the Summit X will give it more capability than the Spire. That will make more sense for some, not others. And again, there are always the combinations of Spire with subs, etc. etc.

Let's see exactly what they have to offer. I've heard part of it, but not all. The formal announcement will be after CES...

sounds good it looks like a good deal for the spires.

Kitsch is a term of German or Yiddish origin that has been used to categorize art that is considered an inferior, tasteless copy of an existing style. The term is also used more loosely in referring to any art that is pretentious to the point of being in bad taste, and also commercially produced items that are considered trite or crass.

Translation.................it looks like 'chit' !!

And again, there are always the combinations of Spire with subs, etc. etc.

Exactly, which is what I'm doing.

Now "IF" the Summitt 'X' is the same pannel as our Spires with nothing more that increased woofer (albeit size or quanity) along with additional amplifier capabilities......well simple math will tell you can do better with the Spire's single 10" bass driver and the addition of one or two top notch subs !

Let's see exactly what they have to offer. I've heard part of it, but not all. The formal announcement will be after CES...

You bet, conjecture is just that.......conjecture !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back