Summit X on 2 ohm amp taps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autoformer

Reaction score
Summit X is nominally 4 ohm, but according to the manual, dips to .8 ohm at extremely high frequencies. I'm curious to hear if anyone has tried the 2 vs 4 ohm taps on your amp with the Summit and what differences you observed.

Cheers - Jim

Summit X is nominally 4 ohm, but according to the manual, dips to .8 ohm at extremely high frequencies. I'm curious to hear if anyone has tried the 2 vs 4 ohm taps on your amp with the Summit and what differences you observed.

Cheers - Jim

I experimented with the taps quite a bit when I noticed the upper frquencies (air and presence) went missing with that type of amp. It won't hurt. You'll notice more frequency extension using the 2 ohm tap but the beautiful midrange gets harmed and the bass gets loose. I eventually had to go back to a direct-coupled amp since output transformer amps can't seem to match the 0.8 ohm impedence that the Summits have at high frequencies. It appears that transformer output-coupled amps need a speaker that does not stray far from the speaker's nominal impedence over their operating range to sound their best.

Last edited:
Back