Summit x and descent i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GW1800

Reaction score
Although I love these speakers alittle more on the bottom end would be nice. My setup is just stereo music sacd source. Do I go with one or two? Where do I set the crossover the manual says 70% of low end of main speakers with summits at 24 hz that will be a problem. Would like to hear from stereo only if possible on what you did.

MMC

Just talked to ML and they suggested two depth i's instead of one descent i (budget will only do one of these two choices). He said that the depth's with 8" was a little more musical i.e. faster. He said that although they will not go as low he felt that they would integrate better (Why does the descent integrate so good with the CLx then?). He also suggested to cross over at 70-80 hz. which I replied that I don't really want to replace the good bass that there is from the Summits so I was thinking more like 30hz(this was mentioned in one of the MLO's I read). He then thought that this was a good idea. I then questioned that I would of thought that they would have a more solid reccommendation for the Summit x's on which sub to go wtih but they do not.

My room is relatively small 13'x20' with 9' ceilings. The system (Mcintosh 500 CD/SACD and 402 amp - thats right no preamp also Sonos to one of the digital inputs on the 500) is set on on the narrow end and the sub(s) would need to be inline with the speakers(I do not have enough room to put them behind). Although the room is long in reality I have only about 2/3's that lengh where I'm sitting the rest of the room more of a bar setup. Again this is for music only setup. I reviewed many MLO postings searching for some past info but found few that were helpfull. I'm getting the impression that this is not a common setup and wonder why? Don't get me wrong the bass that is there is outstanding but again a little more lower would be perfect. Just uncertain on how to proceed with the best chance for success. Just a little more info over the weekend I hooked up an exisiting Velodyne 12" that I had with the crossover set to about 30 and left the Summits as is. I did notice an immediate positvie impact on the lower end and the whole setup sounded better. This was a good test.

MMC

Last edited:
Back