Summit or Prodigy

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after reading tonepub's article - it made me start to think a bit too... Thing about the summits:
1) you are only driving the panel with your amp... big benefit there - I think.
2) the different types of music... when you go - bring scome scorching rock 'n roll to see how it sounds... I can believe the Summits would sound better with a broader range of music.
3) fiddle with the x-overs on the back and see the variation you can get.

Have fun...let us know how it turns out....

Results of auditioning Sumit and Prodigy

Just got back from the shop after listening to Prodigys and Summits in the same room with the same amplification. The power amp wasn't an issue for either as it is a Gryphon with plenty of power to drive both. I have the same amp at home.

I am still uncertain as the speakers are really too different to easily compare. The Prodigy's have a lot of slam in the bass and really fill the room I thought they were a really great speaker and could easily settle for them. The Summit is a very different sounding speaker. I thought the panel was more revealing than the Prodigy and the bass much tighter and better integrated. I also thought the image was much better if a bit smaller. However, the Prodigy seems to be a bit warmer sounding and more atmospheric. The bass seems to have more overhang while the Summit is very punchy.

I think both are great speakers just different. My concern is that if I buy the Summit I may miss some of the slam and room filling capability of the Prodigy. However, in buying the Prodigy I may miss out on the fantastic detail and sweet sound of the Summit. I also wonder if the extra bass of the Prodigy would be harder to live with in the long term as I mainly play acoustic blues, folk and Americana

Neil, I think that is an excellent description of the differences between the two speakers. Given your listening preferences, I would think you will prefer the detail of the Summits. The beauty of the taut bass the Summits provide is that plucked stringed instruments like a double bass really sound like they should. Good luck. You can't go too wrong either way.

Neil, I think that is an excellent description of the differences between the two speakers. Given your listening preferences, I would think you will prefer the detail of the Summits. The beauty of the taut bass the Summits provide is that plucked stringed instruments like a double bass really sound like they should. Good luck. You can't go too wrong either way.

I agree wholeheartedly with Rich. I would think that the Summits are a better fit for you. The reason why I waited until this generation of MLs before plunging was because of the different "house sound" that the new generations have. I felt that the older generation had a bit of a "tizzle" or energy at the upper end of the audio band (treble) - moreso to the point where I would get distracted when critically listening. Add to that the fact that I felt the bass was not as good as the panel was and how the new generation of speakers are self-powered and thus opens up to a wider array of possible amplificaton choices - the choice for me was simple.

Summit.

Again, good luck.

I have had a pair of Quest's for quite a number of years but am considering ugrading to either Summit or Prodigy. I can get an ex demo pair of Prodigy's for not much more than half the price of Summits.

Would be interested in some opinions.

I have a pair of summits powered with an MC300, I purchased a second hand pair of requests with new panels..quess what.. except for the tightness of bass the requests have a much better sound - midrange, image etc
I am considering exchanging the summits for the prodigy..but have yet to hear them with a MC300 ...!!!!!!!!!

I have owned my Pridigys for almost 6 years and have heard Summits at the dealer with Mac equipment. My Prodigys are not for sale.

I have a pair of summits powered with an MC300, I purchased a second hand pair of requests with new panels..quess what.. except for the tightness of bass the requests have a much better sound - midrange, image etc
I am considering exchanging the summits for the prodigy..but have yet to hear them with a MC300 ...!!!!!!!!!

How would they sound with a MC300 ?

I purchased the Summits rather than the Prodigy, and received delivery on Saturday. I am certain that I made the correct decision.

How would they sound with a MC300 ?

Hi John,

It appears from your post that the "synergy" between the MC300 is better with the Requests that with the Summits. I would be very very careful saying one model is "much better" than the other based on one amplifier.

The differences you sight could be due to a myriad of reasons, one of which is the amplifier.

GG

I purchased the Summits rather than the Prodigy, and received delivery on Saturday. I am certain that I made the correct decision.

congrats Neil... Your final decision was based on what? I know the two have different attributes. But, I know in prior posts you said you thought the prodigy had more impact (which I was surprised at) - and filled the room more (which I wasn't surprised at). I have not really heard one next to the other - but, dang - I wish I could - because if I walked away thinking the Summits were better... that is saying something. Congrats again on the purchase... now you get to track the shipment every hour on the hour - and THAT will drive you nuts!! :)

Congrats Neil! The Summits are awesome!! Make sure to post pics of the delivery and set up if you can.

Joey

the bigger the panel the better the ride.

Always go with the biggest panel.:devil::devil:

congrats Neil... Your final decision was based on what? I know the two have different attributes. But, I know in prior posts you said you thought the prodigy had more impact (which I was surprised at) - and filled the room more (which I wasn't surprised at). I have not really heard one next to the other - but, dang - I wish I could - because if I walked away thinking the Summits were better... that is saying something. Congrats again on the purchase... now you get to track the shipment every hour on the hour - and THAT will drive you nuts!! :)
When I said the Prodigy had more impact than the Summits I was referring to the fatter sounding bass. The Summits have an awesome impact but the bass is much leaner but very much more detailed.

My reason for choosing the Summit was basically because I thought the clarity, detail and lack of overblown bass would suit my tastes in music better than the Prodigy. I think the Prodigy is a great speaker but the Summit takes acoustic music to another level. It probably does this to other types of music as well but I have been having so much fun playing my favourite acoustic CDs that I haven't yet got to my Pink Floyd etc.

Back