Summit or Prodigy

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil H

Reaction score
I have had a pair of Quest's for quite a number of years but am considering ugrading to either Summit or Prodigy. I can get an ex demo pair of Prodigy's for not much more than half the price of Summits.

Would be interested in some opinions.

I have owned my Pridigys for almost 6 years and have heard Summits at the dealer with Mac equipment. My Prodigys are not for sale.

Dat;s some funny Chit der! I have heard the Summits and would prefer the Prodigies with the right amplification.

would be nice to hear from some summit owners... I own Odysseys - heard the summits - liked the summits - but felt no urge to buy the summits. I then went down the block and listened to the maggie 20.1s and felt a little wobbly... but found that sound (20.1) (the transparency) more akin to my Odysseys than the Summits. I would describe the Summits as 'solid' and the older line of speakers as 'transparent' - I'm guessing because of the powered sub. If you are in a position to hear both - do so... I think you will find both good - but different - which boils down to personal taste etc...I'd say - if you like impact - go for the summits - if you like transparency - go for the Prodigys....

would be nice to hear from some summit owners... I own Odysseys - heard the summits - liked the summits - but felt no urge to buy the summits. I then went down the block and listened to the maggie 20.1s and felt a little wobbly... but found that sound (20.1) (the transparency) more akin to my Odysseys than the Summits. I would describe the Summits as 'solid' and the older line of speakers as 'transparent' - I'm guessing because of the powered sub. If you are in a position to hear both - do so... I think you will find both good - but different - which boils down to personal taste etc...I'd say - if you like impact - go for the summits - if you like transparency - go for the Prodigys....

Never heard the Prodigys so I can't say for sure. I'm talked to several who prefer the Summits over them Prods and I've talked to a few who weren't impressed by the Prods.

Along the same line, I've conversed with a few who also weren't impressed by the Summits...

So this whole thing is hopeless. The best thing to do is flip a coin or listen to them. At 1/2 the price though, I'd be hard-pressed to go for the Summit.

And I own the Summit.

Never heard the Prodigys so I can't say for sure. I'm talked to several who prefer the Summits over them Prods and I've talked to a few who weren't impressed by the Prods.

Along the same line, I've conversed with a few who also weren't impressed by the Summits...

So this whole thing is hopeless. The best thing to do is flip a coin or listen to them. At 1/2 the price though, I'd be hard-pressed to go for the Summit.

And I own the Summit.
I listened to both a few days ago. I was very impressed with the Summits. They sounded a lot different from my Quests. I also liked the Prodigy's but they had more of the character of my Quests than the Summit did. I am going back next week with a few of my own CDs. At the moment I like both but whether the Summit's are worth the difference in price is an issue. I have also listened to a big speaker for many years and it is hard to get my head around the fact that a small speaker can deliver the same impact, image size etc. However, on listening the Summit seems to do that.

Neil you are in a great position being able to listen to both with the same source and amps, Don't let your wallet do your thinking trust your ears.

I listened to both a few days ago. I was very impressed with the Summits. They sounded a lot different from my Quests. I also liked the Prodigy's but they had more of the character of my Quests than the Summit did. I am going back next week with a few of my own CDs. At the moment I like both but whether the Summit's are worth the difference in price is an issue. I have also listened to a big speaker for many years and it is hard to get my head around the fact that a small speaker can deliver the same impact, image size etc. However, on listening the Summit seems to do that.

In that case, I would say the difference in price is worth it. The last thing you want to do is "settle" on what you like. Why do that?

On the plus side, the Summits are much much easier to ship and hence sell, if you ever need to. Just another FYI for the future.

Comparing apples and oranges?

When you go back, make sure you're leveling the playing field between the Prods and Summits. What do I mean by that? The Summits has a "built-in" advantage of the internal bass amplifiers. Even if you're hooking up the same amplifier to the Summits and Prodigies, that amplifier is asked to drive the tough load of the Prodigies by itself comparing to the extra help it has when driving the Summits. Any difference you're hearing in this set-up may be due to the amplifier reacting to different loads between the Prodigies and the Summits. Not completely being fair to the Prods, ain't it? So, to make a fair comparison for the Prodigies, you'll need to have another 250wpc (at least) hooked up to the bass drivers and the auditioning amplifier dedicated to handling the electrostatic panels. Only in this environment, you're going to hear what the Prodigies are capable of.

Just thought I'd point out the "obvious" differences between Prodigy and Summits :)

Spike

Hi,
I have heard the Summits at the dealer of which i bought my Prodigy's and before that the Sequels and Quest-Z's.
The summit's were hooked up to some powerfull all Mac gear and quite honestly I will keep my Prodigy's.
I do have different electronics so that may have scewed the difference I heard and tastes do vary.

Best,Bob

I find it interesting that the folks here seem to be leaning towards the Prodigy. I do as well. Can someone comment on the statement I made before ... transparency (Prodigy) vs impact (Summit)? I just have a tendency to lean towards transparency and imaging. That is my thoughts on the diffs between the two. It would be interesting to hear those that have heard the two - also comment on why one over the other - or the sonic signature of the Summit seems to be this and the Prodigy is that...blahblahblah.... :)

4 weeks back I asked what is the best choice between Prodigy and Monolith III and the Monolith was the clear winner.

Cherian - that must have been a mistake :D Can you return those Monoliths?? Sorry.... I just had to...

Also, keep in mind that the room has a lot to do with the perceived (and measured) sound of a system.

So it's very, very hard to compare two models in totally different rooms, even if all the associated equipment were to be the same, they can sound completely positive or negative, depending on how they are placed and the overall room acoustics.

Sort to of like comparing vehicle acceleration on an uphill vs a downhill, you will get completely different results for the same vehicle.

Oh, Monoliths Rule!

;)

My vote: Summits if I had to get something new today.

I had that coming.

Ha!! I have never heard the Monoliths - so I can't comment on them. But, I do know I have seen your system and it is......s-e-x-y.... You are going to post when it is all hooked up / positioned etc....right?

Yes once it is all set up and tuned pics will follow. Look for them in 2 weeks.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Its interesting that the majority have favoured the Prodigy. On my brief listening the other my impression was that the Summit was detailed, punchy and provided a superb stereo image.

I also thought that they sounded much different in presentation that my Quest's. On the other hand the Prodigy's sounded more similar to the Quest's in character. They seemed more like an evolution from the Quests whereas the Summit was a radical change. I haven't yet decided better or worse just different.

I was therefore able to get a better impression of the Summit than the Quest because of the difference in presentation. But then again perhaps it was the change in size of the speaker and different type of bass that caught my attention.

I am going back tomorrow with some familiar CD's and more time. It will be interesting.

Latest posts

Back