Subwoofer to go with my Vista's - Opinions?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dublin25

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a sub ASAP. I am considering the Depth I, Abyss, and the REL B3. I need the sub to be solid for home theater and music. Any opinions on these 3 subs or any other recomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Depth i and Abyss?? - that's like saying "should I get a Ferrari or a Hyundai". That aside, the Depth is great, the RELs are great and I use a Whise Profunder with my Vista which is great as well. I think you're on the right track - get out and have a listen and see which you prefer.

The Vistas do really well with a sub - just make sure whatever you buy has the controls to integrate it properly with your room and Vistas - to this end, I run a Behringer DSP1124P with mine, but there are other options as well such as the Velodyne SMS-1.

Check out JL Audio subs.
The f113 is simply phenomenal in my HT. Very deep, dry, and extremely powerful. It comes with a microphone for the room measurement computer which does a very good job getting rid of peaks caused by placement/room acoustics. It the f113 is overkill for your room, then you should definitely have a look at the smaller f112 and f110.
I really enjoy the f113 and consider it one of the best subs I ever heard.

I concur with Bill, Jl makes a great sub ! but for the $$ spent Velodynes "DD" series of subs are quite attractive as well.

How deep are your pockets ?

I have my sweeeeeet dynamo posted for sale in the classifieds. ;)

Now that I have subtly plugged my own ad, I would say the Depth i, or a JL F110. Personally, I have yet to hear a better sub than what JL has come up with.

I have deep pockets... :p But - wanted to stay in the $2000 and under range. I'll check out JL.

The JL blows away any sub I have heard ! Its tight deep and clean.

Listen to the new F110. It probably doesnt quite have the extension of the larger subs, but it should be around $2500....maybe less if you find a deal.

Listen to the new F110. It probably doesnt quite have the extension of the larger subs, but it should be around $2500....maybe less if you find a deal.

The JL f110 should retail for not more than $2100.
I have compared it to its bigger brothers and the difference is minimal. There are not many CDs which go below 25Hz anyway;-)

You don't mention what the rest of your setup is like, but if you haven't already done so I highly recommend bi-amping your Vistas to get the most performance out of them (along with adding a sub). Bi-amping these speakers will not only give you cleaner, clearer bass; it will also free up the sound of the panels resulting in better mids and highs and overall better dynamics.

Personally, my favorite subs are the ML Descent and Descent i, but I imagine a Depth or Depth i would be great with the Vistas. The other subs mentioned in this thread are all worthy of checking out as well.

I went ahead and bought the Depth I. The Decent is huge. I think the Depth will work just fine - if not - I can always add another! I asked my dealer about biwiring/amping and this particular guy said I didn't need to do it. Excuse my igornace though...not that familiar with bi anything - lol. I have a Pioneer Elite SC-05, what do you think the best way to do this would be?

I have deep pockets... :p But - wanted to stay in the $2000 and under range. I'll check out JL.

I am not sure how much the newest JL subs go for. The smallest one, might be available for 2k. Or maybe you can pick one up used.

They are killer sub!!! Give them a listen for sure.

I went ahead and bought the Depth I. The Decent is huge. I think the Depth will work just fine - if not - I can always add another! I asked my dealer about biwiring/amping and this particular guy said I didn't need to do it. Excuse my igornace though...not that familiar with bi anything - lol. I have a Pioneer Elite SC-05, what do you think the best way to do this would be?

I agree that the Depth i should work fine for you.

As for bi-amping, you don't necessarily "need" to do it. "Need" is a relative term. You can run your speakers just fine like you are. But if you want to get the best performance and sound out of them for music and movies, bi-amping them will help you achieve this.

Honestly, though, your home theater receiver is probably fine for movie surround sound decoding, but it is also your biggest limiting factor on the quality of sound you get from your Vistas, especially for music. The Vistas need higher current, more power, and higher quality power than it is likely going to provide. There are numerous threads on this forum discussing the need for separate preamp/amp combinations to get the best performance out of electrostatic speakers. Home theater receivers just generally don't cut it with these speakers. You may not realize what you are missing until you audition some quality separates with your speakers.

So if music is important to you, then you may want to consider an upgrade down the road to a quality preamp/amp combination, using your HT Receiver strictly as a surround sound decoder. In the meantime, it probably is possible for you to bi-amp using this receiver. You would just have to split the receiver's preamp outputs with a Y-adapter, then send part of the signal to the receiver's amp channels and on to the woofers of the Vista, and part of the signal to another higher quality amp, and on to the panel of the Vista. The only caveat is your other amp has to match the voltage gain of your amp in the Pioneer.

Sorry, didn't mean to overwhelm you or derail the thread. Just giving you some food for thought for future upgrades to get the most out of your Vistas. By the way, if your dealer that told you that you don't need to bi-amp the Vistas is the same guy that sold you a home theater receiver to drive them, then I wouldn't be giving his recommendations too much value in the future. You will get a lot more knowledgeable recommendations and experience with these particular speakers on this forum than you will from just about any dealer. Lots of dealers just really don't have a clue about Martin Logan speakers.

I think you will be blown away at how good the Depth i sounds with the Vistas. Excellent match IMHO...

Satch

I really have never liked the idea of brand mixing when it comes to speakers.get the depth i you will be happy

If you want tight integration to your Vistas then Depth i or Descent i would be the way to go and they will integrate to the CLX when you upgrade.:D

If on the other hand you want home theater impact that will blow people away, as in couch moving, picture frame falling, pant leg flapping bass, at the best price per thump then the SVS PB13 Ultra will be hard if not impossible to beat. I did a ton of research last summer and it beat everything that I could compare it too. The SVS PB13 Ultra is also very musical and it will handle stuff down to 10 if you want it too. Seriously for home theater try to compare it to anything you like at any price, then check the price and well the thump per $ will convince you. The only issue is that the SVS is big, 27/22/21 at about 150 pounds and it sells over the Internet for about $1600, so your challenge will be to hear it before you buy, but I have one in my ML 7.1 home theater and it kills the low end like no other sub, thruth in fact it scares people. It reigns supreme in my HT now and I have had several powered subs from Sunfire, Yamaha, and ML in my HT before the SVS PB13 Ultra.

And you live in Ohio, which is where SVS subs are made so hearing one should not be that hard to do!

Last edited:
be careful the SVS are not very musical in my opinion my father owns one of the better ones they make it is nice but really large I think it could be a little faster and more musical . Martin Logan makes some of the most musical subs I have ever heard they are small and potent if you need that extra boom the descent i is the only way to go although my depth i can shake the whole house if setup right get yourself a sms-1 and reap the benefits. I only use it now in my 2 channel system as the 10" powered drivers in my spires have all the bass I need

Last edited:
be careful the SVS are not very musical in my opinion
I would agree with you on this.

For HT, SVS does offer a great product a a great price.

Get yourself a sms-1 and reap the benefits.
Another agreement.

SMS-1 is a very easy device to use, but like anything in this hobby there are other alternatives - not as easy and a complete package, but achieves the results.

Along with room treatments, bass EQ will really get you the best you can achieve with low end with your room and setup.

ML does make some great subs, but there are also other servo based subs one should get out and listen to and then make your decision. Others have already mentioned some of the names in this thread.

IMO, servo based subs offer the best for music reproduction.

Sub to go with my Vista's

I got the Depth I...... Wasn't too impressed, too small - I am going to swap it out for the Descent I. I guess it was fate anyway - because the Depth was damaged when I took it out of the box (still worked though) - so have to take it back regardless.

I got the Depth I...... Wasn't too impressed, too small - I am going to swap it out for the Descent I. I guess it was fate anyway - because the Depth was damaged when I took it out of the box (still worked though) - so have to take it back regardless.

What do you mean "too small" - physically or sounding? It's a great sub!

Back