Stupid Question of the Day; what are the spikes for?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holmancv

Reaction score
I can see where the spikes would significantly reduce the surface area of the speaker that actually contacts the floor but so what? Thanks friends!

I can see where the spikes would significantly reduce the surface area of the speaker that actually contacts the floor but so what? Thanks friends!

The spikes serve one major function. They couple the speaker to the floor to prevent the speaker reacting to the movement of the drivers (particularly the woofers) so that the impulse response of the speaker is maximized. In other words they prevent the speaker from rocking.

So that you hear the speaker, not the speaker + the floor. Lay it directly on a nice piece of thick carpet= muddy sound wood floor= bomy bass.
I have mine on spikes + a piece of Granite.
:D

I think I liked your response the best. I'm just trying to figure out how to balance these Mosiacs now ...

I think I liked your response the best. I'm just trying to figure out how to balance these Mosiacs now ...

The idea behind speaker spikes is to better couple your speaker to the floor for better performance. You could also use a product like Aurios that decouple your speaker from the floor and allow them to move a little and will increase performance a bit. I like decoupling myself.

Back