Spikes

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
Hi, initially I had my Summits on its normal legs on granite - this sounded the worst - more shrill, and as if the sound was getting cut off short.

Then I put them on Auralex Gramma, and sound was much better - more musical, more extended

Now I have them on spikes on the Gramma, and that has improved it much more. Added to the musicality and cohesiveness

Have you tried adjusting the panel azimuth so that it is perpendicular to the floor?

Talk about a cheap tweak with major benefits.

GG

What is the panel azimuth?

I guess with the spikes it is now all level, rather than leaning back or leaning or forward?

I believe some of the ML speakers are angled back in relation to the base of the speaker.

My preference is to have the speaker at a height that the middle of the panel is at the level of my ear. Then I adjust the angle of the speaker so the top and bottom of the panel is the same distance from my ear. Doing this you keep the perceived time alignment from the panel to your ear much closer.

Everyone has their own preference. Try forward, back and straight up and see which one works for you.

What is the panel azimuth?

I guess with the spikes it is now all level, rather than leaning back or leaning or forward?

Bonzo,

It's the vertical angle of the panel relative to the floor.

My guess is that the standard angle, without adjustment, is around 83 to 85 degrees. In other words, the panel is sloping "back" from bottom to top. Setting the angle at 90 degrees equalizes the distance between the top and bottom of the panel to the listening position. It does "lower" the height of the sound projection into the room but if you sit during critical listening, this is not a factor. If you are standing, you will notice a drop off in frequency response, impact, etc.

I would highly recommend that you experiment with this. You may be amazed at the improvements this little adjustment makes in speed, impact, transparency, etc. I know others besides myself have and they are all happy that they did.

You may need to get taller spikes for the back of the speaker to make this happen. You can always "shim" the back side but you will compromise rigidity and performance.

GG

Last edited:
That's interesting. I put my Summits on granite slabs which tightened up the bass and had little to no effect on the mids and highs. Do you have solid or carpet floors? Also, as Gordon said, the rake angle can make a significant change in the presentation. Mine are about 2 degrees tilted back from vertical.

Back