Speaker placement

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viking

Reaction score
I`m contemplating a pair of Montis or Ethos paired with a 210 or 212 sub. I`ve drawn a sketch of my living room where I`ve placed the speakers where I think it will suit them, I`ll have to rearrange my living room for this placement but that`s not a problem ;) Do you agree with my idea? The sub will hopefully be placed where it sounds best within this setup. I`m not finished about what amp to get, thinking about the new Devialet 200 for a clean set-up :) stue2.jpg

I will sit fairly close to the speakers, about 2-2,5 meters, what would be best of Ethos/BF210or212 vs the Montis alone? Ethos + BF210 are cheaper then Montis alone.

Hi Viking,

First question. What is the split between home theater and two channel listening use?

If the later and assuming you can afford, it's a no brainer.

GG

Devialet is the only amp I haven't liked with the Logans, compared to Krell, Audio Research, and Levinson - if you like it fine but please audition and compare

Hi Viking,

First question. What is the split between home theater and two channel listening use?

If the later and assuming you can afford, it's a no brainer.

GG
This will get used 80% for music and the rest for TV/movies :)

Thes store I`m buying from will surely give me alternatives as it carries Krell, Audio Research, Ypsilon etc etc :) But I`ve heard from people with corrsponding taste regarding sound that says its a very good combination :) So Ethos/210 or 212 or Montis alone?

Bonzo: If you could, can you describe your impressions of the Devilaet 170/200? :) And compared to the other amps/pres you heard on MLs? :)

HI I found they were weak on all factors that mattered to me - much less body to the sound, weak bass, soundstage, etc. They were clean, that's all. No magic. I have demoed the 170 against a Krell integrated and Audio research integrated on an EM ESL in the same setting, than a 170 and an AR integrated on an EM ESL in another setting, and then the 240 against a proper AR Ref 5 + Krell, AR Ref 5 plus Levinson, AR Ref 5 + AR Ref 75, and Ar Ref 5 + Burmester, all these on the Summit X in another setting. Each time the Devalet just collapsed. Another Ethos dealer didn't recommend it to me against the Krell integrated

That said, for value for money, you get a dac, streamer, pre and power, and no rack and space required. Which is why I wanted to buy it, because it's so pragmatic. But just didn't do it for me. However there is another member here who likes it with his Montis. I don't know if he has compared it to others.

If money is the issue, I would rather buy a separate dac and an integrated. Also used reference pres and powers are available at good value. Personally I am indifferent to the other amp combos I have listed up there, I could live with either of them on my Summits, it's just the D I would't want. You might like it, but just make sure you do a fair comparison and don't buy on hearsay.

A comaprison and trying out Devilaet on Ethos will be somewhat of a hassle, hmmmm what to do, I need streming function, and if I go with T+A HV series integrated and streamer/player I will blow my budget as I also need some money for good power cables and a 65" TV ;)

But there are some that report that the upgraded 170, named 200 after the v7 upgrade, is another animal than the 170................. Hmmmmm anyone tried the 200 on Ethos?
Sketch with measurements of my living room, ceiling height is 2,40 meter or approx. 8 feet:
stue.jpg

Last edited:
How much space are you allowing between the back of the speakers and the wall?

2-3 feet, maybe more, and I have Svanå Acoustics diffusors that I used before for my Summits (another house, another time) which makes the MLs easier regarding distance to front wall :)

2-3 feet, maybe more, and I have Svanå Acoustics diffusors that I used before for my Summits (another house, another time) which makes the MLs easier regarding distance to front wall :)

Actually, not really. Because of the curved ESL panel, if you are only 2-3 feet away, then the rear wave is completely focused on a few inches of the middle of the diffusor panel, resulting in poor diffusion characteristics. If you can get them five feet or more out from the wall, the diffusor will be much more effective as the rear wave will spread out to cover the entire diffusor. This is one reason I went with absorption vs. diffusion behind my speakers. In my room, I really can't pull the speakers out more than a couple of feet from the wall, and absorption worked much better than diffusion for me. If I could pull them out five feet or more, I would have gone with diffusion.

I have four of these from before, two behind both speakers, these work as soon as the back wave isn`t totally focused :)
diffusor.jpg

Back