Sound profing BASS

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_Klim

Reaction score
I might be purchasing a townhouse soon but if i do, I'll have to sound proof at least one wall. Bass is something I really want to block from going into my neighbor's home. What's the best thing to do about that? Would making a brick wall be better and more economical than other solutions?

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

The townhouses will be auctioned off this Sunday. Starting bids are about 40% off. If I had the money I would get a detached home. Most in my price range around here are only about 1200 sq feet. But the townhouses are about 2400 sq feet, 3 stories high and never lived in ( built in 2008). Most can easily work with a pair of CLX :)

Because most of them have the 2nd floor open to the 1st floor, it looks like I'd have to do the wall for both floors even if the speakers are in just one room. Plus the shared wall is the one with the stair case so then if I etend that wall, it may be difficult to move stuff up and down the stair ( like furniture) The one in the pictures isn't bad, but the other ones not pictured has the stairs...well it's hard to explain without a photo.

I'll call around tomorrow if I get a chance, in the meantime, anyone have any idea how much it costs for say a 20X20 foot wall?

Attachments

• P1010434.jpg
    P1010434.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 210
  • P1010435.jpg
    P1010435.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 208
  • P1010436.jpg
    P1010436.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 209
I vidoe taped a few of the homes for auction and took some screen shots and attached them here. It looks like I can get a wall built where I drew in the 2 red boxes. So that way the stair case will be enclosed, wich is where te common wall is. I thought all 4 floors of the stair case were exposed but after looking at the video it looks like only the 1st and 2nd floor are expose (the screen shot is when i was on the 2nd floor). So I'd create one big thick wall wall that is sound proof - and it can be pretty thiick. then create another thin wall against the exisitng wall (can't make it too thick otherwise I can miove furniture up and down the stairs). Plus I'll need to good doors, one for each floor. Would that work? Or would I have to do my floor and ceiling (no townhouse units are above or below and this is an end unit). I think I'd be willing to pay $10K tops to do this. Sounds possible?

I would put the speakers up against the rails, so they would be I guess about 16 feet away from the back wall. Is that too far away?

Attachments

• 1stfloorPlus2nd.jpg
    1stfloorPlus2nd.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 2nd floor.jpg
    2nd floor.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 2nd floor close.jpg
    2nd floor close.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 185
Back