Solid state integrated amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetherave

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of ML Aerius speakers. Can anyone recommend a decent, solid state, integrated amp for these? I've heard that both the Bryston B100 SST and the Creek Destiny are good amps. Can anyone comment on these choices?
Thanks

I just bought a pair of ML Aerius speakers. Can anyone recommend a decent, solid state, integrated amp for these? I've heard that both the Bryston B100 SST and the Creek Destiny are good amps. Can anyone comment on these choices?
Thanks
Hola Dave...there are so many good things...and the Bryston likes a lot ML. Go for it, happy listening,
Roberto.

The Rega Elicit works great as do the solid state Luxman models....

I'll bet that new First Watt (nelson Pass) is great too.

The Naim SuperNait worked well with the ML's when we had it in for review
too.

I think that most members would tell you to make the effort to go out and listen to several amps before making your choice. Or as Tom would say use "the search" function. This is a topic that comes up probably more than any other. But bottom line, you will be happiest and enjoy the journey the most if you take the time to find the right amp for you. Bryston, Creek are both good but you may like the ability of the Sunfire amps to allow you to bi-wire and get that Tube sound or current sound plus volt sound from the same amp. And the Sunfire amps double down on their output so you can get lots of head room for the buck, but again "amp sound" is subjective so I would advise reading up on previous posts and then audition some of the amps that intrigue you the most. May the "search" be with you.:D

There are many very fine amps out there, but it depends a bit what you are after, so its hard to recommend any.....
I have owned the Bryston B100 for over 2 years, with the dac option, and I have totally lost the "highfidelitis upgraditis" sickness. Feels weird to be so relaxed every day.

Personally I have the Sunfire TGA 7400 and the TGA 5400. One is a 7 channel amp for use with a Martin Logan based HT and the other a 5 channel amp for 5.1 ML CLX surround sound system. They are both very flexible amps that start at 400 watts at 8ohms and go to 1600 watts at 2 ohms. They both have current and voltage outputs which most of the Sunfire Amps have. The current outputs connected to MLs give the Sunfire a tube-like sound that many perfer to the voltage outputs. More than a few members of this forum use Sunfire because of their power delivery and their ability to double down as the impedance load goes down. They have tremendous head room and for the dollar amount they are hard to beat as all-around performers. You can find them very reasonably priced on Audiogon, both new and used. You should also be able to find a dealer near you and listen to them, anyway if you search the forum, you can find many threads that deal with Sunfire amps, good luck.

You may get as many amp suggestions as people on this forum...

I've had 2 different SS integrateds powering my Ascents:
Krell 400xi - Not to my liking
Primare I21 - At 75 watts, suprisingly plenty of power (although my room is 12' x 13'). I'd recommend adding it to your 'possibles' list

Good luck,
Mike

Hello Dave,

Just my $.02 as the most sage advice has already been given:

Heard the Krell integrated mentioned above driving the Aerius (originals) and thought the sound really good but....

I heard the same components and the same source material (classical and jazz) drive an SL3 pair and really didn't care for the sound at all: Go figure.

So, I would recommend the krell for a shortlist of candidates if you're gonna go integrated but with the caveat that I listened for only an hour in a store and with only my favorite source material.

JJ.

Hm... KK gives the Krell S-300i an absolute rave review in this months Hi-Fi News. SQ rating 88% (I know, I know... take it easy...).

He specifically mentioned MLs and Quad ESLs as a match.

Total bargain for £2400, he thinks... and I am sure the dollar price will be even better.

Back