SL3 Tweaks

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braminator

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if they upgraded the power cords and do you run them direct to the wall or thru a power conditioner/protector? I have a pair of PS Audio Preludes I can use, but they are only long enough to reach the wall socket?

Also how do I know if they should be cleaned? They sound great now but how much better can I make them by cleaning them?

The power cords are just there to energise the panels and then keep them energised. Not much current flow, and I suspect it won't even matter if the electricity they use is 'dirty'.
I've never bought into these 'expensive powercord' theories, they all sound hocus/pocus to me.
If anyone can tell the difference in a blind test, I'll convert in a millisecond;)

I do believe in mains filtering though, especially if you share electricity with workshops or industrial estates. There are some capacitor-based gizmos that you plug in the mains and they claim to clean it, I've got one from the canadian UHF site - maybe it works, who knows, at least it was cheap.

I also have a couple of 'filtering' mains cords from Russ Collins, Yello or something. I can't hear any difference even when they are on source equipment, but I use them anyway since I've bought them (just in case:eek: )

I've tried one on an SL3 and tried hard to hear any difference. Nothing.
Maybe my mains is clearer than most (dedicated ring), maybe the whole concept is placebo:meditate: . It's your money.

As for cleaning the panels, if they are dirty, I'd go for it (can you see dusty circles on the mylar from up close?)
Be careful, some SL3 panels slide upwards, some downards.

The power cords on Martin Logan speakers doesn't directly affect their sonic output, as they basically just provide power to "energize their electrostatic cells" (quote from my Summit manual). For example, you cannot just plug them in and play them; you have to wait a while for them to 'charge up'. On the other hand, if they're fully charged and you unplug them, they'll actually continue to play for quite a few minutes (just the electrostatic part, of course, not any directly powered subwoofers). I don't see how anything better than safe, good quality power cords would change anything in this case.

Yep, even changing the AC input voltage substantially, barely has an impact on the SL3. See this thread.

And some of the other models, such as the Monolith III's, seem to have regulated High-Voltage supplies, as changing the input voltage has zero effect on them.

A power cord will make no difference that I could tell, especially on the regulated supplies.

So if I got this correct, I am waisting my time with expensive cables. And I don't need to run them thru a power conditioner or filter. Do I need to worry about surges if plugged directly to the wall?

... Do I need to worry about surges if plugged directly to the wall?
Surge protection is a different subject - personally, I wouldn't run anything electronic of value without surge protection. Lightnings, power cuts, who knows what else can creep in your mains.

Quiet power supply is also another subject - if there is noise in the line, it can't help.

Voltage is also important - if it dips by several volts under stress, you can't expect consistent performance.

All the above are real and measurable.

The question is: do the overpriced cables address the above issues in a meaningful (and measurable) way, or are they snake oil?;)

I am aware that there might be parameters that we cannot (or don't know how to) measure, and yet could affect audio quality. But I can't see how cables can be in that category. I'd invest in a digital multimeter for starters.;) Directional leads, here I come:p

Edit: I can't say I completely disagree on these views on cables/interconnects

Last edited:
Surge protection is a different subject - personally, I wouldn't run anything electronic of value without surge protection. Lightnings, power cuts, who knows what else can creep in your mains.
I absolutely agree with JohnA. I have 'evolved' a total home theater system that, if I had to purchase it new today with no DIY construction, would probably approach six figures. There is no way I'll even plug in any components without heavy-duty surge protection. (Heck, I even unplug everything but the Tivo's when we go on vacation.)

Back