Silverstone Hi-Fi Show 2009

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some close ups of the partnering electronics to follow to keep AR heads like Adam and Bernard happy...:)

......and happy I am - thanks Justin. Love those silver handles on the REF 5 and PH2 too.

........and as usual, you're gonna cost me a new computer as I drool all over this one.

Last edited:
......and happy I am - thanks Justin. Love those silver handles on the REF 5 and PH2 too.

........and as usual, you're gonna cost me a new computer as I drool all over this one.

I make you buy new computers? Surely not... but hey, if I do, here's an excuse to buy two! More ARC...:)

The new DSi200, again with silver handles. Yup, I like them too... plus CD5 etc... and a gratuitous pic of more Logans since this is MLOC.

Attachments

• SDC11920.jpg
    SDC11920.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 302
  • SDC11922.jpg
    SDC11922.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 299
  • SDC11918.jpg
    SDC11918.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 300
  • SDC11912.jpg
    SDC11912.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 302
Nordost digital cable demo time - where a rock track was played with one "inferior" digital interconnect, and again vith a more expensive digital interconnect.

I'm not sure if any tricks were being played here with the Wadia 170i iPod dock as a source, but I definately prefered the inferior interconnect - it sounded more like rock'n'roll. The second effort seemed to split everything up too much into a more hi-fi like presentation, at the cost of losing it's "cohesive wholeness", if that kind of BS makes any sense - at least - it does to me:).

Of course, really, there can't have been a difference, can there? I mean, digital is digital... that's the whole point, isn't it?

Come to your own conclusions. Me? I'll take the cheapie...:D

Pic is of course the rear end view of a load of Nordost. The sarcasm here is perhaps a little ironic since I use Nordost Red Dawn myself - and think it's great. It's just that as an engineer I find the concept of digital I/C making any difference at all kind of hard to accept.

BTW: it was a coax output. I think the better cable was Valhalla and the cheaper Silver Shadow. Of course, the Valhalla may well have appeared superior to me with another music genre as a source. I can well imagine it doing so, in fact. Then again, I can't have heard a difference, can I?:)

Attachments

• SDC11938.jpg
    SDC11938.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Nordost digital cable demo time - where a rock track was played with one "inferior" digital interconnect, and again vith a more expensive digital interconnect.

I'm not sure if any tricks were being played here with the Wadia 170i iPod dock as a source, but I definately prefered the inferior interconnect - it sounded more like rock'n'roll. The second effort seemed to split everything up too much into a more hi-fi like presentation, at the cost of losing it's "cohesive wholeness", if that kind of BS makes any sense - at least - it does to me:).

Makes complete sense. I'm a big believer in the "continuousness" of music and that some systems, cables, speakers, etc. reproduce it better than others. I thought the exact same thing about the Dire Straits Brothers In Arms reissue compared to the original pressing, great hi-fi effects but the musical integrity was lost, until I made some other changes in my vinyl set-up which allowed me to hear the overall musical superiority of the reissue.

Of course, really, there can't have been a difference, can there? I mean, digital is digital... that's the whole point, isn't it?

Of course there's a difference, you heard it right? That doesn't mean that the cheapie isn't better to your ears

Come to your own conclusions. Me? I'll take the cheapie...:D

Depends on the system. In your system you might prefer the expensive cable by such a wide margin you'd plunk down the cash in a minute.

Pic is of course the rear end view of a load of Nordost. The sarcasm here is perhaps a little ironic since I use Nordost Red Dawn myself - and think it's great. It's just that as an engineer I find the concept of digital I/C making any difference at all kind of hard to accept.

Yet you still heard a difference! Does being an engineer override the proof of your senses, and yes I know that senses are highly suggestible but you are an experienced listener who, I assume, has a good base of listening knowledge and more than a passing familiarity with reproduced music.

BTW: it was a coax output. I think the better cable was Valhalla and the cheaper Silver Shadow. Of course, the Valhalla may well have appeared superior to me with another music genre as a source. I can well imagine it doing so, in fact. Then again, I can't have heard a difference, can I?:)

Very likely, I find preferences harder to identify with rock and roll than with a simple vocal, small group or a symphonic work.

Difference or not, if the difference is that small (and you think you prefer one with one type of music and another with other types of music, etc) - is it really worth spending money (and the sort of money they're asking) for such a miniscule difference? I think not.

Difference or not, if the difference is that small (and you think you prefer one with one type of music and another with other types of music, etc) - is it really worth spending money (and the sort of money they're asking) for such a miniscule difference? I think not.

Suum cuique, value is defined individually, Nordost, Kimber and Audioquest, to name a few, offer a plethora of cables at different price points. I happen to like the AQ house sound and would spring for the Sky ($2500.00/pr) interconnects and K2 speaker cables ($6800.00/ 2.5m pr) if I could afford them, I can't, because I find the differences between these and the lower priced cables worth the difference.

Back