Silverstone Hi-Fi Show 2009

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway, another great system by my recogning was this one: Zu Essence loudspeakers driven by Vacuum State DPA 300G monos. I think the Zu's cost £3750 in the UK, and I think they're worth it, but surely stateside they'll be even better value.

Bags of resolution, presented in a free and easy manner. Not a million miles away from, say, a Border Patrol 300B amp driving Living Voice OBX's. I'd say the later is rather better, really, but this was and is very good system. Like some of the Zu finish options a lot too.

CD player was an EMM labs. Not sure about the preamp.

Justin,

The RTP-3D preamp s a real match for DPA-300 B and this combo is the closest to "wire with gain" that I've ever heard .... a pity it was not displayed at the show.

Vacuum State has a new, much more powerful tube monos in works - have not heard them yet but Allen told me they sound even better than DPA 300B. A couple of weeks ago he trimmed the amps to drive Apogee loudspeakers (I think it was Scintillas) and measured over 170 W @ 1 Ohm before clipping ... would love to hear these with CLX ;)

And I'm not quite sure that anything other than electrostat or ribbon is capable of showing what DPA 300B can do ...

But is it me, or does ARC's new (all-natural aluminum look just seem wrong? All black or (preferably) natural with black handles is how ARC stuff is supposed to be!
It is you, Rich ! ARC stuff in all-natural aluminium is right to me. I don't like ARC in black.

Guys,
This is my first post on your forum.

Just wanted to say that the dpa300B amps on display at this show in the Musicology room are, even at only 18 watts, supposedly a PERFECT match for the new, wonderful, ML CLX.

Or so says Roy Gregory, and it was a surprise to him as well.

If you haven't seen it, his review talks about this combination and his response to it. ESLs do NOT always need a lot of power...

http://www.vacuumstate.com/fileupload/HIFI 66_VACUUM_comp.pdf

Regards, Allen

Guys, This is my first post on your forum.
Allen...Welcome to the Site and glad to see you here.

In case some here do not know, Allen is "Vacuum State" and makes some great components. VSE is also responsible for CD/SACD player modifications along with new output stages.

VSE has their new Terra Firma Clocks - The "Uber" and the "Lite" versions. Both version have received exceptional reviews and end user feedback on the improvements you get in CD/SACD playback with the addition of their clocks. The clocks can be implemented in "almost" any player.

The Terra Clocks have made significant improvements to sound playback. Some people who had 5 figured players are now selling them as their VSE modified player are now equal or better sounding.

What are some of the "common" themed comments about adding the new clocks? Here is a list from people with stock players, modified players, and already VSE modified players:

• More 3-dimensional sound image to music. More depth and width as the sound stage is better defined for instrument placement
  • More separation between instruments with improved instrument detail. You are able to hear each instrument better
  • Transparency and Ease to the music
  • Makes you want to sit and listen to music for hours and hours at a time – the true testament to how good it really is

Hopefully Allen will drop back and explain more about his modifications and other equipment they offer.

Last edited:
Just some gratuitous Trilogy pics... because, well, why not?

Attachments

• SDC11703.jpg
    SDC11703.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 1,179
  • SDC11704.jpg
    SDC11704.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,186
  • SDC11706.jpg
    SDC11706.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,194
Some expensive Goldmund kit... not plugged in so no comment.

Attachments

• SDC11668.jpg
    SDC11668.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,188
  • SDC11669.jpg
    SDC11669.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,211
Just some easy pic posts tonight... too busy at work to get the report writing done at the mo...

Just some retro but nice Luxman kit on display.

Attachments

• SDC11676.jpg
    SDC11676.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,229
  • SDC11677.jpg
    SDC11677.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,166
  • SDC11678.jpg
    SDC11678.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,232
Allen Wright is also the manufacturer of the incredibly good JLTi phono stage...

I don't know about that 18wpc tube thing with CLX's... Not my cup of tea. I've tried a lot of tube amps with them and only a few have worked.

Found some time - so here's the new Copland CDA285 CD player hanging around in the Absolute Sounds demo room - i.e. the same one as the MLs. Interesting lid... £3,900. CSA29 power amp below it. Followed by a brochure pic showing the lid in action. Extra self-descriptive Copland kit beloew int.

Nice design. Nice kit generally, in fact.

Attachments

• SDC11926.jpg
    SDC11926.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,415
  • SDC11928.jpg
    SDC11928.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,331
  • SDC11927.jpg
    SDC11927.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,321
Last edited:
Wilson Sasha and Krell Evo 600s.

Entrance by ticket only. Then you get treated to a talk via a Krell rep, followed by a Wilson rep. The Wilson rep was a bit too much for me. I found him a bit pretentious to be honest, as he introduced each musical piece, proclaiming pretty much how great it'd sound through this system.

The only trouble is, to my ears, it just didn't. After 15 minutes of BS and lack of any sign of an enjoyable performance, I simply got up and left.

So what precisely was the problem with the sonics? Well, the tweeters sound pretty metallic to me, and the Krell's simply don't help here. Granted, you do get good, solid bass performance, and there's no doubt the imaging is very good too, but the whole system just sounded sterile and uninvolving. Artifical rather than natural. Synthetic rather than realistic.

So, just like last years show where I heard a Krell Evo/Sophia II system, this just failed on me. Serious waste of money.

The only time I have heard Wilson's sound good is driven by big ARCs many years ago. So I believe they can sound good - or at least better than this, with the right amp choice.

My opinion only, if you catch my drift.

Attachments

• SDC11940.jpg
    SDC11940.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 1,304
  • SDC11939.jpg
    SDC11939.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,295
OK - so you can't afford an Ongaku. Then again maybe you never wanted one anyway. But if you did, and couldn't find the cash, here's the Jinro. £14,995. For that, they throw in the cheapest 211s available. You'd think you'd at least get some nice new KRs, but no...:devil:

Anyway, this little room was packed and it did sound very good via the Snell mutation into Audio Note loudspeakers.

I'd put my own 211 monos against the Jinro and expect them to blow the Jinro away, especially on more difficult loads. Overpriced, I think (know).

Attachments

• SDC12002.jpg
    SDC12002.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,479
  • SDC12003.jpg
    SDC12003.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,405
Last edited:
Guys,
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm a little uncertain about how commercial I can get here, often get my knuckles rapped in another forum just for answering questions.

I'd love to do a write up regarding Upgrading SACD/CD players, but is it allowed by the forum?

And Jeff, the dpa300B punches WELL above it's weight, don't knock it's ability to drive CLX's until you've heard it. Roy Gregory was absolutely stunned by this, and wrote so in his dpa300B review which you can find on our website. It also drives Acoustats very well - I've been an ESL fan for years, ever since owning a stacked pair of Quad ESL57's. And if it really isn't enough for you, then our 150 watt dpa150 certainly will be!

Regards, Allen (Vacuum State)

I can testify this - I've heard the dpa300B setup at Vacuum State premises. Great dynamics (and wonderful sond) - and we auditioned symphonic orchestra recordings among others.

Last edited:
Allen Wright

Guys,
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm a little uncertain about how commercial I can get here, often get my knuckles rapped in another forum just for answering questions.

I'd love to do a write up regarding Upgrading SACD/CD players, but is it allowed by the forum?

And Jeff, the dpa300B punches WELL above it's weight, don't knock it's ability to drive CLX's until you've heard it. Roy Gregory was absolutely stunned by this, and wrote so in his dpa300B review which you can find on our website. It also drives Acoustats very well - I've been an ESL fan for years, ever since owning a stacked pair of Quad ESL57's. And if it really isn't enough for you, then our 150 watt dpa150 certainly will be!

Regards, Allen (Vacuum State)

Allen

Are you an Aussie? I recall an Allen Wright in the hifi scene here (Sydney) 30 or so years ago, involved in electrostatic speakers, tube amps and the like. If so, g'day mate. If not, well g'day anyway.

Will look up your gear on the net.

cheers

David.

Guys,
Thanks for the welcome.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on upgrading players (in the Tweak section, of course), but from the perspective of what you do and the effects, not just how good they sound. I'm interested in the technology not the ad copy.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on upgrading players (in the Tweak section, of course), but from the perspective of what you do and the effects, not just how good they sound. I'm interested in the technology not the ad copy.

Here is some of the "stuff" you are looking for in regards to VSE and the new Terra Firma Clocks.

http://www.customanalogue.com/terra_firma.htm

Focal Maestro Utopia and DCS Paganini kit. Transport $8,995, DAC £9,599, clock £4,499. Really like the Paganini styling, but not the price!:) Spectral power amp I believe.

Whilst this was a good system, I left feeling a bit disappointed by it, given the overall cost. Good though the Focals are, they do have some boxy character to them, and it was this that I felt let them down a bit.

Attachments

• SDC11781.jpg
    SDC11781.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,251
  • SDC11772.jpg
    SDC11772.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,153
  • SDC11771.jpg
    SDC11771.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,368
  • SDC11773.jpg
    SDC11773.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 1,191
  • SDC11774.jpg
    SDC11774.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,189
Another disappointment - Metronome/Dartzeel/Magico V2s. Whilst I really liked a Dartzeel/V3 combo a while ago, this didn't impress. Probably the choice of music and the low volume level - not adequate enough to impress, in my view. Turn it up and play some different material and it may well be a different story. Half the trouble with shows, really... also the speakers were too far apart and too small for the room.

It is tough for exhibitors - room size is a real factor for their kit, and more often than not a room is either too big or too small to optimise performance. That's just life, I guess.

Attachments

• SDC11794.jpg
    SDC11794.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,156
  • SDC11796.jpg
    SDC11796.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 1,178
  • SDC11793.jpg
    SDC11793.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,201
  • SDC11792.jpg
    SDC11792.jpg