Silence on Monis? Upgrade from Spire .... Or wait?? Summit X Mark2????

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I'd love to talk about this right now, we're leaving for Vegas in an hour. Bruce, if you search my name, I have commented on the superb sound (IMO) of additional subs with the Spire. If you can't find any of my threads or comments, I'll post my opinions on Sunday if I can afford the return plane fare!!!

Gordon

I'll post my opinions if I can afford the return plane fare!!!

Gordon

Thanks Gordon
Hope your wallet survives Vegas!
Sub audition plan in place. Spires continuing to delight with transparency to the source significantly enhanced. Music much more enjoyable. Sub assessment will help finalise things at least for a few years!!!!! Have had Spires for three and previous speaker cable for nigh on twenty (their subterranean setting protected them until last week!!!) so I think this latest round will last a while. Hmmmmm! Then there's always another frog in the pond to teleport........:ROFL:

Well, back from Vegas with my wallet fairly intact! Fortunately the better half was with me and she decided going to shows and dinner was a better way to expend the funds:) Did see David Copperfield and the Jersey Boys. (great musical)

Bruce, the addition of a pair of subs was leap of faith. I did want a bit more bottom then what the Spire was/is able to give. I got a great deal on the the JL's so I put them in the system. At first play without alot of tweaking, I had thought I made an expensive mistake. So I purchased several test tone CDs and got my learn on. Original placement was in the corners and could not get the balance correct. I finally moved them inboard of each Spire about 1 inch away and flush with the front of each speaker. Now we were getting somewhere. After many hours and reams of paper, I do believe I dialed them.

The final tweaks have given the mids and highs a much fuller, richer presentation and the bottom is solid with a bit of punch I wanted. My pre allows me to turn the subs on/off at will and the difference is stunning to me. I have put some white tapes on the face of the subs where the tweaks are done. There are the times I want to crank some Zep and will dial up the settings for an over the top bass line. After I get my bass fix, I return the the dials to the balanced position.

Gordon was here and we tried a couple tweaks, most notable was putting the BDR pucks under the subs which further enhanced the accuracy of the subs IMO. I have not removed them since he was here. (Thanks, G)

Time for dinner. Bruce, any questions feel free to ask.

Gordon

Gordon was here and we tried a couple tweaks, most notable was putting the BDR pucks under the subs which further enhanced the accuracy of the subs IMO. I have not removed them since he was here. (Thanks, G)

Time for dinner. Bruce, any questions feel free to ask.

Gordon

Thanks Gordons!!

Sub trial likely in a few days time... tho I often think.... Okay Bruce, so what exactly is wrong with this system?!!! ....Sounds phenomenal actually!

Shall bear pucks n spikes in mind for "final" tweaking too. The Black ravioli I use has dramatic benefits to pace and clarity ... double checked with A B A B demo to check my sanity re the large difference that I detected straight off It was confirmed on extended listening, so I am open to the puck option, too!!

Cheers for now
Bruce

Sorry for delayed reply, but here's an update! hopefully of general interest. thanks to all re sub comments but at present have decided not to go down that route. reason - I welcomed the extra breathing space after I sold my vast REL Studio sub even though ultimate extension was of course sacricificed. but that's old news. In trying to improve the bass resolution of the system change of speaker cables improved resolution but at expense of volume sufficient to impair full enjoyment. So next step re entry into the controversial area of mains cables to Spires! re read ASA judgement on Russ Andrews RFI rejection claims for his mains cables, and ensuing comments!!!! Then evaluated his sawersdisc cable and noted no overall improvement compared with the previous DNM solid core I has been using. My dealer offered me a home trial of the Abbey Road mains cable and I tried it without expectation only to be suitably shocked. there can be no doubt Power cords make a considerable difference. Bass volume, naturalness of all frequencies and increased pace and rhythmic integrity were all vastly improved, and I had a great listen to live Cd of Michel Petrucciani where previously the bass player was not fully in the mix. Excellent result enhanced by fine tuning of all cable routing especially on phono to ensure maximum freedom from Mains contamination of audio signal. final icing on cake... Black Ravioli (black icing!!!??) under phono stage has resulted in minimum hash and a truly delightful energetic and lively presentation. Morals of the story... Mains cables do make a difference, system synergy crucial as to which ones, care over cable routing and equipment resonance can multiply the benefits in an otherwise grand system. The Spires ...you stay .... I had no idea just how excellent you are!!!!

Again underscores the importance of vibration attenuation for all hardware.

GG

Yes Steve, I think its made a big big difference getting everything sorted Revisiting cabling through entire system and in fact sticking with one cable manufacturer throughout Plus cable routing care, plus vibration reduction measures and also once all that was in place rechecking Speaker Placement and moving them as far apart as possible and as far from front wall as possible. I think I'd got slothful in those areas and getting up to date performers in cables and vibration attenuation (Black Ravioli, I don't know what you use Gordon?) have added to the synergy considerably. Much more life, impact and naturalness with fabulous reduction in subtle hash and noise. Performances way more engaging!

Back