Silence on Monis? Upgrade from Spire .... Or wait?? Summit X Mark2????

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougster

Reaction score
Silence on Montis? Upgrade from Spire .... Or wait?? Summit X Mark2????

Interested to note very little appearing re the new Montis! Does it not excite people... Spire already too good? I have an itch to upgrade Spire despite loving them! So I am interested to know if Montis improves in every way or not. Some greater focus in the bass would always be welcome. Recent listening to a friend's Meridian 7200 showed impressive neutrality, timbre, and rhythmic dexterity in its bass performance.
So would the Montis provide anything extra? On the other hand is a SummitX replacement on its way incorporating DSP?
Answers please!
Listening to delightful fiddle from Duncan Chisholm ... Album called Farrar .....on a surprisingly sunny and exquisitely autumnal Scottish Sunday.... A long walk with the dog beckons and always improves the hi fi!

Last edited:
I've owned my Spire's for going on three years and I have no desire to upgrade them at all, at least not within the M/L family. Now, if I had a room that would do the CLX's justice........maybe. While I have yet to listen to the new Montis, I doubt very much that it would be that much better, Summit X or it's replacement ....maybe.

IMO, some of the 'holy grail' things you are chasing can probably be attained with a sub, improved room acoustics, etc

I doubt very much that it would be that much better, Summit X or it's replacement ....maybe.

Yes that's my hunch too! Interested to hear from anyone who's auditioned Montis as well.

Like you no room for CLX, and too visually dominating for my tastes. Summit XX or .. Focal Diablo Utopia? Wilson Sophia 3!!!!

Doug,

Heard it briefly at RMAF. Impressive. No hint of any bass blend issues. No idea how it compares to the Spire.

GG

Just with me limited experience with the Ethos vs. the Spires I am not so sure how much better the DSP would improve the Spires. Due to the 10" woofer I think the bass integration in the Spire is much smoother than it is in q hybrid design with an 8" woofer. That is where the DSP really helps the Ethos. I was very impressed at the general ease that the Ethos had in reproducing a wide sound stage and the clarity of the low end.

Granted the Spire goes deeper and is more accurate IMO, but the Ethos is an impressive piece of audio goodness :)

Thanks for replies. I started thread partly as curious as to lack of apparent enthusiasm for Montis. Is ML a victim of its own success with Spire? I certainly would not lightly abandon its balanced scorecard of virtues .... Yet will the Montis deliver greater agility naturalness and impact in the lower reaches. and has anyone heard tell of the future for Summit X with the Montis arrival (deja vu for discussion re Summit when Spire arrived.)
I continue to enjoy the Spires meantime especially their wonderfully balanced sound and the soundstage of the bigger panels (compared with the nice wee Vantages.)

Who's going to be first on the Montis / Summit X / Spire comparison?...!,, Or the future of Summit X?

One issue is that we are only now starting to ship them so they haven't hit dealers quite yet. Makes it hard to make opinions when most haven't heard it and even though we got decent results at RMAF, it is still a hotel room with a brand near pair and because of some miscommunication, no cables until 5 minutes before the show started. Kimber whiped up some midlevel stuff for good resutls to save the day, Thanks Ray.
Aren't shows fun?
This is more of an evolutionary step over the Spire. In direct comparison, in our PDs soundroom, you will notice more articulate bass and an even better blend. The Spire was the first to benefit from the CLX development so was a good jump for me versus the older products. I believe the jump to Ethos from Vantages was a bigger jump. As to Summit X.2 or whatever, there are no plans for changes on this successful product for quite some time.
Tone Pub got the pair of Montis from the show sent up for review but that takes quite some time to listen, write, publish so it will be some months before that hits.

As to Summit X.2 or whatever, there are no plans for changes on this successful product for quite some time.

Thanks Peter. Can we assume that the same holds true for CLX.2 as well? There has certainly been a lot of discussion surrounding the 50Hz rolloff point of the CLX and how subs are pretty much a requirement for full range playback. While I'm not asking you to divulge any above-top-secret black-ops activity, you would certainly have everyone's riveted attention wrt any future leaning tidbits :)

Appreciate your contributions to this forum.

Cheers

Agree, any pointers on CLX updates would be extremely beneficial for me at this time!!

I have heard the Montis, but prefer my Odyssey's over the Montis any day of the week. I am not saying they sounded bad, definately not, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Last edited:
resolution of Spire doubts !!!!!

hi there guys you may be interested to hear of my complete resolution of my concerns re Spires. I had been concerned by a lack of ultimate focus in the Spires especially in the bass - partly highlighted after helping a friend to set up his Meridian 7200s. I had begun to be curious about the Montis, and even dynamic speakers such as Focal Diablo Utopia, Raidho C2 or C3. Others had advised checking out room issues before being an eejit or even "glaikit" or possibly even being judged a " feel gowk" .... all relevant Scots terms for someone displaying ill advised behaviour!
I discussed the situation with local dealer whom I have known for twenty years, and a demo of Raidho and Diablo was duly arranged. Whilst waiting for the system to be set up I listened to a large pair of active bass-Cabasse floor standers. Result - resonance in treble resulting in clear coloration at certain frequencies, but well sorted fast timbrally nuanced dynamic bass. but coloured treble would bring most of us guys out in a rash!!!
Next up Raidho C3 Well sorted but not anything to appeal to me over Spire. bass again well controlled good soundstage, excellent treble from their ribbon and good overall ontegration. Diablo very good soundstage, open speakers not obviously the source of the music, and excellent bass for the size and indeed good bass by any standards. however, even though their Beryllium tweeter is well respected as being non aggressive and finely resolved and accurate, I found it just a tad too insistent for my liking. John my erstwhile assistant then changed the speaker cables as he is of the opinion that my system is weak in this area. The cables were Abbey Road Reference in place of Nordost Red Dawn .... Promising in the type of improvement they wrought....
Anyway at the end of this long post, replacing my current Transparent Music Wave Plus with the on trial Abbey Road Reference has allowed the rest of the system to shine including the Spires... Much more open ,more natural allover including better controlled bass ... and all Spire doubts dispelled. I had been listening to the signature of my old cables!!
Fantastic.
Shows the importance of quality right through the system. thanks for encouragement to work on the Spires!!!
Bruce

transparency being the hallmark of many ML models, I can see where making a change as seemingly ineffectual as speaker cable (to some people's reasoning) will indeed be revealed as - well, being revealed :)

Great speakers demand great upstream components. Glad it's sorted out for you.

Cheers

Is this the same Bruce that I exchanged PM's with a couple years ago about the Spire? I do believe it is and I'm glad you brought a bit of a "foreign language" and the translation to us on this side of the pond! Based on my present room, the Spire is still, IMO the finest speaker I have ever heard. I'd rather try various wires in an attempt to coax a bit more out of them, than upgrade the speak itself. However, if you do take the plunge, I know I'd like to hear your impressions. You may convince me to give them a try. It's your turn!! :)

Gordon

Hi Tsv, yes I have always been impressed by how different cables can be in spite of inadequate scientific explanations, but the differences are considerable especially with speakers as transparent as MLs!

Yes Gordon it's me... Ta for appreciation of the Scots!!! And Generous of you to offer next turn to me!!!!
would my better half think the same??? actually delighted with properly hearing the Spires or more accurately the music, at present and no desire for change now. If I'm in the same room as a Montis who knows! But I won't be seeking them out
just for now. Glad your still revelling in the Spires' excellence.

Hi Tsv, yes I have always been impressed by how different cables can be in spite of inadequate scientific explanations,.

oh I think there is 'scientific' explanations.........resistence, capacitence and inductance, it's the audiofool boutique BS as it relates to exagerated pricing that defies logic !

Interesting... I seem to recall my outgoing cables measuring well in a Hi Fi critic review, so I think the measures you
quote only tell some of the story... Phase accuracy? Speed? Agreed re pricing ..!

oh I think there is 'scientific' explanations.........resistence, capacitence and inductance, it's the audiofool boutique BS as it relates to exagerated pricing that defies logic !

Almost no audiophile cables discuss the r/l/c specs of there products. But why add to the load with cables that act as filters?

Let the comments begin....................

Out of interest Bruce, what are the awg's of the new cables vs old, and what length are your runs? Are you saying that you were using Red Dawn, or Transparent MW+ ? Now using Abbey RD? IMO, r/l/c do effect sonics but this is not the whole story, there is something else going on that we haven't discovered yet, hence the whole cable debate.
I use Spires, and currently use Harmonic Tech 11 gauge copper, my runs are 27ft, so once my crossover rebuilds are fitted and settled I will construct a new speaker cable (8 awg) that actively 'neutralises' capacitance, without increasing inductance. I have this between my Step up trafo board, and panel/woofer, and the improvement across the board is significant.
One other thing regarding the bass unit in standard form, mine are better with the connection wires reversed on the woofer tabs, red + to lower tab, and soldered. On the back of the internal amp output board there is a red dot, this did not correspond with the connection the factory had made, so I swapped back and forth, settled happily on the opposite to original connection, then soldered all joints. Much better flow of the bass, perhaps a little stronger, but now really drives the music, I think it was wrong to begin with.

Last edited:
Hey Dave,

Was perusing the new Music Direct catalog and ran across a product that would be PERFECT for you.

It's called the RR-77 Ultra Low Frequency Pulse Generator made by Acoustic Revive.

It produces a pulse at 7.83 Hz (called the Schumann Resonance), which is a naturally occurring resonant frequency existing between the surface of the earth and the ionosphere.

Now, you may be skeptical but .................................

reproducing this frequency in your room NEUTRALIZES PERFORMANCE DEGRADING ENERGY and is just the thing to breathe new life into your system.

And it is yours for only $595.

GG

PS: Operators are standing by to take your order. This price is only good if you order between 2:03 and 2:04 PM MST.

But wait, there's more. You can get a second unit for only $10 but you must pay separate shipping and handling. I called the company to check on these additional S and H costs. After much teeth pulling, they told me the additional shipping costs would be $699.99.

Last edited:
It produces a pulse at 7.83 Hz (called the Schumann Resonance),
I beg to differ. It's called the Schubert Resonance.
PS: Operators are standing by to take your order. This price is only good if you order between 2:03 and 2:04 PM MST.
And if you're nice to the operator, they throw in some "Magic Squares" gratis.

Latest posts

Back