Silence on Monis? Upgrade from Spire .... Or wait?? Summit X Mark2????

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy 'Chit'.......I just got back from dinner.....two VO Manhattan's, glass of Cab and you guys are miles ahead of me !!!! .............:ROFL:

Holy 'Chit'.......I just got back from dinner.....two VO Manhattan's, glass of Cab and you guys are miles ahead of me !!!! .............:ROFL:
Of course we're miles ahead of you Dave. With all that booze in you you're not driving ! :)

:ROFL:If I might dare to divert us from the enjoyably surreal detour of the erstwhile GG on the joys of the Mythical RR 77 and teleportation back to PS68 question re awg... The Abbey Road Ref details are on web on Audio Revelations website but in euromeasures. The Transparent spec appears unavailable. I confess to limiting myself to the scientifically impoverished method of listening! good on ya for exploring the theory - and the idea of replacing the internal wiring appeals...
The Abbey Road Cable design concept appears to focus on phase accuracy and speed. I read this after hearing them and my listening tests noted awesome rhythmic accuracy and subtlety, coupled to a fast and focussed sound, notably more so than the Transparent. Listening also highlights an overall lack of colouration and character and a lovely natural quality to human voice, always a great test as we all know not least because we have a ready unamplified live comparator.
I shall now return to being Transported by a combination of Bach's Well Tempered Clavier courtesy of Johann Sebastian Martin Logan and the Waimea Sauvignon Blanc RR2010 Ultra High Music Appreciator.

:ROFL:If I might dare to divert us from the enjoyably surreal detour of the erstwhile GG on the joys of the Mythical RR 77 and teleportation back to PS68 question re awg... The Abbey Road Ref details are on web on Audio Revelations website but in euromeasures. The Transparent spec appears unavailable. I confess to limiting myself to the scientifically impoverished method of listening! good on ya for exploring the theory - and the idea of replacing the internal wiring appeals...
The Abbey Road Cable design concept appears to focus on phase accuracy and speed. I read this after hearing them and my listening tests noted awesome rhythmic accuracy and subtlety, coupled to a fast and focussed sound, notably more so than the Transparent. Listening also highlights an overall lack of colouration and character and a lovely natural quality to human voice, always a great test as we all know not least because we have a ready unamplified live comparator.
I shall now return to being Transported by a combination of Bach's Well Tempered Clavier courtesy of Johann Sebastian Martin Logan and the Waimea Sauvignon Blanc RR2010 Ultra High Music Appreciator.

While I'm still trapped in a temporal variance, allow me to ponder the variables "phase accuracy and speed". While I have my thoughts on the subject, this paper does a nice job in exploring several of the critical parameters involved... for anyone interested.

I especially resonate ;) with the following excerpt:

"... the exact details of signal propagation remain an enigma with no universally agreed upon complete explanation for the phenomenon. "

Cheers

Try the RR 77 in the bedroom too, its not just an audio product ..:devil::devil:

Bruce, i just tried to find Transparent specs but drawn a blank too, their site seems to be a bit hit and miss at the moment. Looks like the AR Ref are 9 awg, which is good, Red dawn being 12awg, so 2/3rds of the size of AR Ref, perhaps a bit light for Spire panels. Glad you are digging them again..

While I'm still trapped in a temporal variance, allow me to ponder the variables "phase accuracy and speed". While I have my thoughts on the subject, this paper does a nice job in exploring several of the critical parameters involved... for anyone interested.

I especially resonate ;) with the following excerpt:

"... the exact details of signal propagation remain an enigma with no universally agreed upon complete explanation for the phenomenon. "

Cheers
Very interesting article ... Sounds as if he knows what he's talking about! Good that he dismisses cable cynics simplistic denial of the audible effects of cables and describes how complex the science is. I'll need to stick to careful listening and value for money given the complexity of the science.

May invest in RR for the bedroom provided someone can provide us with the evidence base for its efficacy based on a systematic review of peer reviewed randomised controlled trials!!!!

Come on Bruce.

Be the RR "early adopter" / trail blazer. 30 day money back from Music Direct.

Although, given Dave's affection for hi end boutique products, he should really lead the way.

GG

Come on Bruce.

Be the RR "early adopter" / trail blazer. 30 day money back from Music Erect

GG

Okay ... as a Spire early adopter I'll go for it ..Resolutely Randy Bedroom treatment Signature Version ...free postage I presume !!!!

So Bruce,

Does Music Erect have a recommended list of recordings in vinyl, Red Book / SACD formats?

G

So Bruce,

Does Music Erect have a recommended list of recordings in vinyl, Red Book / SACD formats?

G

Yes indeed it features some quite upstanding recordings none of which will be prematurely ejected from your favourite spinner.

By "spinner" you do mean CDP, right ? :)

Yes indeed!

recovering from am exhausting time with RR ... And feeling some vague sense of responsibility for this thread......
Back to Spire optimisation .... And currently more interested in that than Montis (wimp!!), I may try out sub. JL not available over here and hence Velodyne DD10 + takes my interest. I am interested in pace and weight from a sub rather than absolute extension. have previously owned Ascent and Vantage with REL Studio Mark 1 good weight but I found it a bit slow and rather a huge blanket chest for the room.

What differences have people noted over time with Spire plus sub?
Secondly ... Thoughts re setting of Spire 35Hz dial with sub(s)?

Bruce,

Hopefully Gordon will share his experiences with you. He has the Spires with two JL subs.

When I visited him over the holidays last year, I will tell you that very minor adjustments will have a significant impact, once you get close to dialing things in.

Would suggest leaving a "gap" between the Spire adjustment and the sub x-over adjustment.

Just remember too much bass will negatively impact everything.

Good luck.

GG

Bruce,

Hopefully Gordon will share his experiences with you. He has the Spires with two JL subs.

When I visited him over the holidays last year, I will tell you that very minor adjustments will have a significant impact, once you get close to dialing things in.

Would suggest leaving a "gap" between the Spire adjustment and the sub x-over adjustment.

Just remember too much bass will negatively impact everything.

Good luck.

GG

Have discussed home dem of DD 10 + Velodyne with UK distributor. By happy accident I recognised his voice from long discussions over a previous faulty product which I shall not name! He settled the whole thing very fairly but he kind of owes me one as the product had a major design flaw.....and caused me a lot of hassle, so we shall see how we go... I like the sound of the latest models lighter stiffer cone, improved servo and adjustability via remote. I am certainly looking for pace speed and low distortion ... movies (we still quaintly call them films - pronounced fillims!!!) and foundation shaking not required! I echo the excess bass issue. That's one reason I have not tried sub sooner as I enjoy the clean nature of the Spire presentation and will check for any downside! Hopefully Gordon or others may chip in?

Keep us posted on how things progress Bruce, be interested to hear about what a sub does that the 10" driver doesn't. I've never used one..

Sweet talk them and maybe they'll throw in the Teleportation Tweak. You're on the phone with them anyway...
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina60.htm

tee hee ;)

It is simply criminal to advertise stuff like this ... Teleportation to where exactly? In which galaxy would that be, i wonder? I thought i was pretty tolerant of snake-oil claims but this takes the cake. So blazenly obvious...folks who believe this stuff have something wrong wuth their DNA, imo :)

It is simply criminal to advertise stuff like this ... Teleportation to where exactly? In which galaxy would that be, i wonder? I thought i was pretty tolerant of snake-oil claims but this takes the cake. So blazenly obvious...folks who believe this stuff have something wrong wuth their DNA, imo :)

I think i'll go for frog jump in the water tweak (available from the same supplier).. Clearly nothing to with snakes and strong scientific basis. A clear leap forward....

PS68 I will certainly report back if demo goes to plan. Your Spires look really solid btw! Well done.

Latest posts

Back