Service Notice for Discontinued Products

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy, you really picked a bad example there to bolster your point. Do you realize that Roger Sanders still supports every product that Innersound ever produced, even though he is under no legal obligation to do so? THAT is the kind of unwavering support to the end customer that I am talking about. THAT is the kind of attitude that Gayle Sanders ran his company with. And THAT is the kind of attitude that is sorely lacking at Martin Logan today.

Amen! WooHoo for Roger Sanders and the others that STILL support their products.

I'm sure Angela is laughing as she's reading this.

I think it's more than a coincidence that this decision is being made after the transfer of ownership. The timing is suspicious and the decision itself would have been out of character for the previous ownership. This does not inspire confidence for me in the ML brand going forward.

Hello I have the Requests so I presume I am safe .I don't want to seen like a trader But I listened to the new Roger Sanders speakers and they have better dynamics ,better bass and far more accurate and it is seamless The Summit X even has 2 woofers and it is nowhere as good, the Sanders has a 8.5ft transmissions line woofer and they come with a electronic Xover 48db slopes and a superb Bass amp for the same price I tried to like the summitt but th Sander beat it in every catagory and imaging and dynamics far better and they never are obsolete .My requests In my small set up I may even get rid of them I just tell it like it is and Mr. Sanders said a 30 day try out if it is not better He will even pay the freight form the return and warranteed for your life unbelievable but true.

Its common business survival to drop acquisition of parts for legacy products and in many cases its simply because the third party supply sources Dry up. Try to find replacement parts for the DVD player, camera, pontiac, software updates, television, or just about any technology item you bought 5 years ago.
I'm giving ML a break on this issue and kudos for making a difficult but wise business decision.
decision.[/QUOTE]

Comparing a set of $3,000 to $6,000 speakers to a dvd player is a very bad example.The same parts for Monolith I.II panels are the same as the III's.Why discontinue one model and not the other?? You will not convince me or others on this forum that Martin logans cost to make a set of panels is even close to $1500.I never received an answer to my question if ML would train or even allow someone to do aftermarket panel business.Their reasoning makes no sense that the same parts are available for one speaker but not the other.

Amen! WooHoo for Roger Sanders and the others that STILL support their products.

I'm sure Angela is laughing as she's reading this.

This is a very significant fact here. Not because of the lifetime warranty (as someone else said, "whose lifetime?"), but because it does go to show the lack of reasoning of statements like this

-justin- said:
Due to lack of availability of specific proprietary parts and raw materials

and

Craig said:
its simply because the third party supply sources Dry up.

Now, I really find it hard to believe that raw materials dry up for ML (and cheap Chinese DVD players), but not for Sanders or ARC.

Last edited:
. . . no laughing here . . We are sorry to hear about this situation.

Maybe Roger will be interested in some aftermarket panel business?? Please don't make us beg.Just a thought and it never hurts to ask.

Maybe Roger will be interested in some aftermarket panel business?? Please don't make us beg.Just a thought and it never hurts to ask.

I seriously doubt it. Roger's panels are made differently than ML's panels, so it wouldn't be easy to switch over to that. Plus, I expect Roger doesn't have enough time to take care of his own business, much less provide panels for someone else's speakers.

BTW-Ferraris don't get thrown out everyday due to parts shortage. ANYTHING can be made again if its been made once before. It's about time and money...

Actually, they do. One of my friends is a buyer at an exotic cars junkyard in Florida. They do swift business there. Sometimes a car has been parted and stripped before the blood on the upholstery has even dried.

parted and stripped before the blood on the upholstery has even dried.

Not at all the point! Writing off a car due to it being smashed to smitherines is very different to writing it off because it is in need of one single consumable part! Do they get stripped because they need new brake pads or an oil change?.........I think not!

Not at all the point! Writing off a car due to it being smashed to smitherines is very different to writing it off because it is in need of one single consumable part! Do they get stripped because they need new brake pads or an oil change?.........I think not!

No, but they get stripped and junked because they lost the engine and/or transmission. That is a better analogy.

Does anybody know the number of replacement panels are sold on average?

No, but they get stripped and junked because they lost the engine and/or transmission. That is a better analogy.

I've never heard of such a thing...if that's is TRULY the case then I want your buddys contact info. I'll buy some complete with blown engines / gearbox's.

I've never heard of such a thing...if that's is TRULY the case then I want your buddys contact info. I'll buy some complete with blown engines / gearbox's.

It definitely is the case - you just don't see them in junkyard because they're small production cars and people usually buy them and part them out. Just because something was once expensive doesn't make it valuable.

It definitely is the case - you just don't see them in junkyard because they're small production cars and people usually buy them and part them out. Just because something was once expensive doesn't make it valuable.

I'm not so sure that we're speaking about the same thing.

You're saying that people junk Ferraris because the engine is blown? I mean a 308 or later. Not some 400i that's beat up. I'm talking about a nice 308, 328, 348, 355....

I worked for Ferrari for years and have NEVER heard of such a thing. Why junk the car if it can be fixed? Easily.

As I said, if so, I would like to speak with your buddy.

Just because something was once expensive doesn't make it valuable.

Umm, if people are buying them to part them out, then doesn't that say that it is valuable? Those guys are probably paying more for those wrecked vehicles than most people pay for a brand new Ford or Chevy.

Ultimately, if it is a high end product and the brand has a following, then chances are it is still highly valuable. Even with a busted engine.

Just spoke with Dana of ML Service Department.

I got on the list for an ML CLS I series screen that, according to him, should be good for up to 20 years. From what he's telling me, it could take up to 6 months for them to fulfill this final request (no pun intended) list.

I also asked about the so-called promotion; he did not have much info, but indicated they might be offering around a 15% discount on new products for those willing to "upgrade" from a discontinued product.

In regards to discussions on remaking screens, there is now a fairly reliable producer of ribbons for old Apogee speakers; so, it is possible. Of course, Apogee is no more, so there probably aren't any legal issues to worry about. However, as ML is still kicking, any attempt to reproduce their discontinued panels (etc) would likely require ML's approval - and since that could undermine their newer products, I could see them frowning on such a venture.

But for how many more years? I bet the ML brand will outlive the Sanders brand.

And I bet the Wal Mart brand will outlive my local hardware store brand. But I know who I would rather give my money to when I need a decent hammer.

Back