Sequel vs. Requests

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteys

Reaction score
I've been thinking of buying a pair of Requests. I was wondering from those who have had both, what kind of improvements or differences I could expect to hear. I would be buying them used and would not have the opportunity to hear them first hand.

Hi Peteys,

The difference is like night and day. I had Sequels for 16 years and now have reQuests.

The Sequel's integration of woofer and ESL was not very good.. Bass was very boomy and sounded "disconnected" from the rest of the music. I didn't realize this until I got my reQuests.

Remember that the Sequel was only ML's 2nd hybrid and they have constantly improved them.

The reQuest panel is MUCH wider which translates to a bigger soundstage and bigger sweet spot. Woofer is bigger than the Sequel and blends alot better with the ESL.

Same placement issues will apply to the reQuest - away from rear wall, etc.

I am VERY happy with my reQuests... Of course all the older ML designs suffer from panel slippage and the reQuest is no different.. Just have to put on some new double sided tape every 5 years or so to keep them in place on the speaker frame.

IMHO, I think the reQuest is the biggest bang for your buck on the used market if you can still find them.. they are becoming scarce. Click on my link below to see my system.. I have some more comments on there as well.

Good Luck!

Tom.

Last edited:
Very nice system you have Tom. And a great looking room, too. Like that Sqeezebox,too. Been considering one of those.

I really appreciate your response and it's kind of what I was looking for, considering the extra amount these speakers will cost. I do see a couple for sale on the gon and also noticed a set of Odyssey's. I'd really like to upgrade and maybe use the sequels for my surrounds. Assuming I could get the odyssey's for the same price as the Requests, would that be an even better choice? Again, I have not ever heard these speakers, so it is very helpful to hear from you guys.

Given the chance, I would definitely go for the Odysseys, just because they're newer and better technology.

At the time I bought my reQuests, used Odysseys were still pricey. I have heard the Odysseys at a store, but they were not set up correctly, so I can't say how they compare to reQuests. I can, however, say that the Odyssey is the replacement for the reQuest, so it's definitely going to be a better speaker with newer technology. Beware though - the Odyssey's bass cabinet is HUGE (as is the Prodigy) so placement will be different than with the much smaller footprint of the reQuest.

Either way, you can't go wrong. :D

Oh yeah.. and the Squeezebox is just awesome.. I can't say enough. It's a MUST if you have a big music collection on your computer.

Last edited:
Tom-
"Panel Slippage"...now I'm concerned. How much of an issue is it for us ReQuest owners? I am the original owner of one pair of ReQuests and purchased a second set used and never heard of it until reading your post....

Tj

I'd like to share my experience with this problem also.

My ReQuests were about three years old when I noticed one of the panels slipping down from where it is mounted when new. You could do what Tom is suggesting or you could try this fix also. I would give Martin Logan a call about the brackets, Jim Powers in particular. When I spoke to Jim Powers he said they are aware of it and it should not cause any problems as long as the panel doesn't slide more than an inch or so, they'll only slip down until they hit the floor. They do it slowly by the way. On my ReQuests that was just a little over I'd say a half an inch. What happens is that the whole assembly slips, that is the woofer grill and the electrostatic panel.

Jim sent me four flat pieces of metal about a half an inch by two inches long with two screw holes on one side. What you do is lay the ReQuest on its side push the panel assembly back up (it moves very slowly) until it is even with the bottom of the cabinet. Then you have to mount these small brackets to the bottom of the bass cabinet. Each speaker gets two brackets. Mount them so that the edge of the bracket just ends up under the very edge of the woofer grill. They come painted black and are very inconspicuous. Screw two small supplied screws into the bottom of the cabinet and your done.

I haven't had the chance to do mine yet...in fact since I moved them back up they haven't come down yet. And that was about two or three years ago.

Sam

Thanks-I'd never thought twice about it, but one pair of my ReQuests has the brackets your describe and the other pair (earlier production) does not. Neither pair has had any signs of slippage (yet) but its good to know these things.

T-

I didn't know about the brackets... good to know.

The slippage thing is common and doesn't affect the performance of the speakers.. just a nuisance.

I've had both Requests and Sequel IIs

I bought a pair of Requests to replace my Sequel IIs only to find out I preferred the Sequels to my surprise, believe me I tried everything I could to make the Requests work out I finally gave up and sold them and kept my Sequels. I guess what I'm saying is don't assume if something is newer and bigger it will automatically be better in my case with my equipment it was my opinion that this wasn't true.
In my opinion a good used pair of Sequels just may be one of the biggest bargains in audio.

Requests

I have to agree with Tom. Depending on the size of the room a bigger soundstage can be a huge performance increase. I had Aerius I's that I moved to the back and bought a 2000 model year pair of request....Love them!

I have to agree with Tom. Depending on the size of the room a bigger soundstage can be a huge performance increase. I had Aerius I's that I moved to the back and bought a 2000 model year pair of request....Love them!

I am hoping to steal some Quest/ReQuest's in the not to distant future.

The foot print issue w/ the Odyssey is a big issue...I have prodigy which are even bigger and man are they big! When I saw the Quest/ReQuest I was surprised by how little floor space they took up! Very impressive.

SO, if space is an issue don't get the Odyssey or Prodigy! If you can work with the space they are quite awesome speakers!
:rocker:

The ReQuest does have a smaller footprint which helps in placement, but they're not as good in the bass department as the Odyssey/Prodigy so you might wind up giving up some floor space for a sub anyways.

T-

I didn't know about the brackets... good to know.

The slippage thing is common and doesn't affect the performance of the speakers.. just a nuisance.

I've owned mine for 9 years in February and I haven't noticed any slippage....but you bet I'm going home tonight and checking for it though:think:

The panels are kinda just suspended there with velcro strips so it wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks,

Dan

Tj

Agree with you there.

It does depend on the room size also and positioning of the ReQuest (any speaker for that matter) with respect to the nearest two walls. The bass output from my ReQuests was not bad at all. At the time they were positioned 56 inches away from the back wall from what I remember. My listening position was at two thirds of the distance from the front wall. This put me in a spot where there was not to much "suckout" or null in the bass response. Conversly it's not a spot where it is boomy either.

The larger the room the lower the frequency the room will support...however at the cost of more cubic footage.

If you're really looking to compress the air in a room (extreme) or feel that low musical bass or punch from a LFE channel in your surround sound system, then the addition of a subwoofer might be the ticket. In fact it is what I am doing to augment my ReQuests. The new Descent (not Descent i) should be in today or tomorrow.

Sam

Last edited:
The ReQuest does have a smaller footprint which helps in placement, but they're not as good in the bass department as the Odyssey/Prodigy so you might wind up giving up some floor space for a sub anyways.

T-

If I end up getting them they will be zone 2 speakers. I sold my Aerius i zone 2 speakers the other day and am using some REALLY NICE Realistic speakers (NOT so nice), which are fine for zone 2 but if the price is right why NOT move back up to an even better ML?! I would use a Sub with them so the foot print will be nice.

I almost want to dig up a pair of M/L's to take to the office with me. After, all, I spend more time there than at home these days. Too bad M/L doesnt make little 'desktop' electrostatics. <----HINT HINT Jim Powers please read and foward to R&D dept......

T-

LOL!!

You know if I get a larger desk and a wide screen monitor for my office at work do you think an ML Theater would fit under the monitor..hhmmm?

Love that idea T got my vote!

Back