Sequel II's, should I replace the panels?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvitez

Reaction score
My Sequel II cabinets are in need of refinishing, which led me to ponder panel upgrades. My speakers were in storage for about 5 years, so have had much less than usual use for their age. To me, they still sound very good, no high frequency roll off, smooth liquid midrange (as ML's should be :D).

So, how much of an improvement is there with new replacement electrostatic panels? I know new panels are an upgraded design, and every post here waxes eloquent about how great the sound is upon replacement, but these posts talk about replacing worn out panels. Should I just refinish the cabinets and reinstall the current panels, or replace them just in case?

Hey there and welcome!
I have a pair of original Sequels. Mine have a replacement pair from years ago. Previous owner only replaced the one panel that was bad though. Consequently one has a lot of environmental degradation and the other does not! I'm saving up for a new pair, needless to say!
But I digress. I would order a new pair, and for this reason: I would imagine that ML will be offering this size panel for a finite time, as their newer designs evolve, so I'd consider getting them soon as a "hedge fund" if you will, when the time comes for your originals to be replaced. I'd use your originals until they quit.
And what are you going to refinish your cabinets with? Mine need done too, and I'm considering black lacquer.
HTH!:D

I'm in the same boat. I've got Sequel II's, but I got them second hand so I don't know their history or how good they were when they were new. I'm not even sure if these are the original panels, anyone know how to tell? They sound great to me right now, whatever they are.

That's not a bad idea to get the new panels while you still can. Except I would almost rather use the new ones now until they degrade and then fall back on the originals as plan B. At least, that's what you do with projector bulbs.

How much do replacement Sequel II panels cost?

Hola...new panels for earlier models is a good idea, but I will shower them first. I would play a pink noise through the system, and listen carefully all the stat panel, from top to bottom and left to right. If there is a difference in level or timbre, then I would replace the panels, if not, I will use them until it is necessary their replacement (perhaps another ten years from now). If they do not have any roll-off in highs, and the sound is ok I do think that the money for the stat panels, I will use it for buying new music. Happy listening,
Roberto.

As an owner of Sequel II's I agree with Roberto. Give them a close listen to see if all surfaces of the panels are operating.

Give the panels a shower first (check tweaks section here) and see how they improve. I showered mine and that did improve the sound quality but nothing like getting new replacement panels.

Also new panels with have the clear spar's on them (not sound differences, just cooler looking).

just my 2 cents but I would leave well enough alone.

I tend to agree here because even though my Quests were from 1992, the panel change was not night and day as you would think. They were operating fine just that I figured it was time. There are subtle nuances that have made a better soundstage and a little crisper sound but overall but no big change. However, for argument sake, mine were so much in mint condition they could have been sold for new even today! They were always covered and in an incredible environment. Probably if you smoke or have pet hair etc, they would definately need to be changed!

I don't think that ML built speakers with intention to change these every 5 years or they would never have many buyers! If they are well taken care of and vacumed at least 1 every 2 months or so, you will have long life from an incredible piece of gear. All I can say is that my Quests from 1992 can still match easily speakers costing more than 10000$ in some cases. Judge for yourself the condition and make a choice.

Ok, I'm convinced. Screw replacement panels. I'll use the money toward better amplification and probably get better results. Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your insights, and for convincing me to do less work :D I'll leave the panels and just refurbish the cabinet. It will be a summer project, so I can strip them in the garage with the door open. It's currently -25C here. I don't want to do much with the garage door open right now!

My eventual plan is to use the Sequels as HT speakers when we develop our basement. I have this vague thought a nice pair of Summits or Spires would look just fabulous next to my equipment rack in the living room :)

Back