Seeking better sound quality for my classic rock CD collection

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom K.

Reaction score
I have a pair of Martin Logan Ascents that I power with a Crown K1 amp and an SAS Audio Labs 10a tube pre-amp. I know the weak link in my system is my CD player - a Sony 400 disc changer. I'm considering an Olive music server, or possibly getting someone to build a good music server for me. Any suggestions to get the most out of my CDs?
Thank you!
Tom

Last edited:
A more basic music server (eg. Squeezebox or Sonos now that the future of SB is in doubt) and a good DAC. You can start with something at the level of the DacMagic or Arcam rDAC, however at the starting point of Olive, you can probably move into a Musical Fidelity M6 or Rega DAC.

I also own over 300 classic rock cd's. I would have to say your cd's or your weak link. Nothing made can make crappy cd's sound good. Most old rock cd's are very compressed and low level.I am talking about many of the first ones.Many of the newer remaster of classic rock cd;s sound much better and can be quite good.I just bought the new remaster of all the Alan Parson Project collection and they are as good as it gets for cd's. I would agree that your sony cd changer is not the best.You could get improve sound with a dedicated cd player. Their are many good ones out their.Some have different filters that will make older cds sound some what better. A good tube cd player could ad some warmth to the old sterile cd's.Good luck

Tom,

Your CD collection deserves better. You have sacrifisied quality for convenience. As mentioned here, there are great CD players out there. If I may suggest, you should consider a Cambridge Audio unit which will run you around $600. It will definetely liven up your CD's.

Ripping CDs server using flac and EAC can really get you to very good quality. The Logitech touch with its server software can do this well.

It is soon to be discontinued but should work fine for a number of years after that.

J

Aren't your Advents long in the tooth? You may want to consider upgrading them as well .......... To Martin Logans!

Aren't your Advents long in the tooth? You may want to consider upgrading them as well .......... To Martin Logans!

agreed Bernard, besides I laugh every time when someone talks as if the CD player is the 'wink link'. Tom, I'm willing to bet your room acoustics are THE weak link !

Honestly pretty much your whole system is a weak link IMHO. Crown K1 amp is a "professional" amp, but far from audiophile grade for sure. Pitch the advents and get some used Martin Logan's and definitely buy a squeezebox to stream your music instead of popping in CDs. Oh and get a powerful amp to drive the Logan's, a good DAC ( benchmark) and you will be good to go!

Your cd player is a weak link, but so is your amp. You need a quality player (be it cd player or music server) with a quality DAC, and you need a high quality, powerful amp to drive the Ascents. Honestly, the Ascents sound their best, in my opinion, when bi-amped with a good tube amp driving the panels and SS on the woofers. I don't know anything about your pre, so I can't comment on that. Also, some of the comments above regarding a lot of poor mastering on older cds are true. Some cds are actually going to sound worse the better your system gets, because they were so bad to begin with and the higher quality system just accentuates all of that.

I would just add that I have been impressed with my Olive, particularly in the areas of music quality as well as convenience. Oh, and I still thoroughly enjoy my Ascents (as well as the Summits, of course).

I think Rich has very good advice regarding bi-amp with tubes on the panels.

Enjoy the ride with the upgrades.

I have a pair of Martin Logan Ascents that I power with a Crown K1 amp and an SAS Audio Labs 10a tube pre-amp. I know the weak link in my system is my CD player - a Sony 400 disc changer. I'm considering an Olive music server, or possibly getting someone to build a good music server for me. Any suggestions to get the most out of my CDs?
Thank you!
Tom

Upgrade the Sony CD player first, then the amp very soon thereafter. Make the changes incrementally (even if you buy all at once) so that you can hear the improvements each upgrade makes. What is your budget?

Latest posts

Back