Beginning my aural journey

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emcee

Reaction score
Hello wise MLC folks :bowdown:,

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I'm of modest means and planning a dual purpose system to take shape over the next 5 years. I've dealt with a 2.1 PC setup and a Polk home theater in a box for a decade, including a Sony DA4ES (110W @ 8ohm, 4-8 ohm compatible) I purchased in 1999. I listen to music just about all day when I can and my tastes span bossanova/acoustic/classical to electronica/trance/hip-hop to classic rock. Most of my daily music comes in the form of streaming sites such as pandora, grooveshark, etc. however, I have a large mp3 collection (unfortunately @160 kbps) gathering dust.

I am looking to join your ranks and start rediscovering music. I recently auditioned a pair of ML Source and had an emotional response to the music. The CD was Beatles Love (mashup) and I was blown away by transparency and detail of the speakers.

So now I'm faced with taking the 'stat plunge and want to make sure I'm not getting over my head. Three Questions:

1. What music sources do most of you use with your 'stats/hybrids (analog excluded)? When a desirable new album comes out, are you purchasing itunes? mp3? Buying the CD?

2. I plan to upgrade sequentially and was planning on grabbing the ML source and the motif center (keep the cheapo satellites for 7.1) and see how the old Sony ES receiver fares. I'm using a PS3 as my BluRay player currently.

3. Any comments on video games on these? Looking to use them for Gran Turismo 5, rock band, etc. Don't know if the sound will be annoying.

Thanks for slogging through my first (long!) post and for your guidance,

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello wise MLC folks :bowdown:,

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

1. What music sources do most of you use with your 'stats/hybrids (analog excluded)? When a desirable new album comes out, are you purchasing itunes? mp3? Buying the CD?

2. I plan to upgrade sequentially and was planning on grabbing the ML source and the motif center (keep the cheapo satellites for 7.1) and see how the old Sony ES receiver fares. I'm using a PS3 as my BluRay player currently.

Thanks for slogging through my first (long!) post and for your guidance,

Robert

First off, welcome to the forum Robert!

I usually buy new disc's (like to have a hard copy), then rip them in lossless and stream via squeezebox. I still play my CD's from time to time as well.

The Sony receiver should be OK to get you going, if it has pre-outs you can always add an amplifier later.

Can't help on the gaming question, some of the other members should chime in on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back