room size for odyssey

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hi guys. We are looking at a new house and have several rooms I can use for the odysseys/descent combo I have. The floors are all hickory. Drywall all around. So question is this. I can use a room 12x15 and it would be seperated and be a dedicated room. Do you think I could be satisfied with that room size. I currently have 4 GIK 244 bass panels? Ceilings are 9'. My other option is a more open room ...larger.... But it is more in the main living space.

Any comments about everything from dealing w wood floor to room size are appreciated. Thanks Tim.

timm,
First, good luck with the house hunting! As for your question, 12x15 ft is pretty small. It is doable, but obviously a larger room will give you a fuller soundstage and better acoustics. The advantage of the dedicated listening room is that you can fully maximize speaker positioning/acoustic treatments vs a living space area. I think it will be a careful balance of optimal positioning and acoustic treatments in a small room vs sub-optimal speaker positioning and room treatments in a larger area. If both these locations are in the same house, you may want to demo the system in both areas and see which one sounds better, and then work from there.

Thanks....

Let me be a little more descriptive... My original options were a 10.5 X 12 room or the one I describe below....

I went back and measured the room for the house.... I was duped!! The room is only 10.5 X 12.... So... let me explain the other room... It is a combination of two rooms together (no walls - but listening space is 1/2 the entire space....)....

I have a living room that is 11 X 15 ... and right behind it (no walls) is a dining room which is also 11 X 15 ... so the entire space is 22X15X9.... However, my seating position is restricted to the 11 X 15 area in the living room... The speakers would go on the 15' wall... the couch would be at the 11' mark with a wall about 11' behind the couch. BTW, the dining room is not going to be formal.... will hold a pool table... :)

It will be difficult to sell the room treatments on the walls in this room... The 10.5X12 room not as much.... Both rooms are of the same material... will be hickory floor drywall all around ... with area rugs abound.....

At some point... I have an unfinished basement....and you know what happens there... Anyway - I am thinking of using the larger space ... but am wondering if it's proximity to the family room will cause me grief (about 30' away...no doors to shut anything down)...

Any suggestions on the acoustics of these environments prior to my move in would be welcome... thanks -- tim.

Well, 10.5 x 12 is really small. Frankly, It's going to be difficult to position the system as you will want the speaker at least 3 feet off of the front wall, and that means even you sit all the way in the back of the room you only have a 6 foot or so distance from you and the speakers. You may be able to get away with that with some small conventional forward firing monitor speakers, but not the Odyssey's. If I were in your situation I would most likely take the larger 22x15 room, and move the sitting position all the way to the back of the "first part of the room" so that you are off the front wall as much as possible and still over 10 ft away from the speakers. At least you don't have to worry about acoustically treating the back wall. My listening room is about 25x25' and I sit about 2/3rd back. I don't like sitting all the way against the back wall of any room. I know many do this, but I think it's a compromise. There should be "space" behind you. Otherwise, you get a rather powerful reflection and even significant acoustic treatment doesn't remove this completely.

Let us know what you decide on. Good luck!

looks like I will be using the larger room.... I am moving in on Dec 14 so - will let you know how it goes.... Its a whole new world out there... the system has only been in one room before ... in the basement w carpeting over cement w a drop ceiling about 7' tall... Room was pretty dead... Now hardwood and 9' ceilings.... so it will be interesting to say the least... In my current setup I have the panels about 5-6' from the front wall...speakers about 7-8' apart ... rear wall is about 7' behind the listening position and the speakers are about 7' from listening position....treatments on front wall and one side wall (other side wall is about 11' away from left speaker... right speaker is about 3' from right wall....

New setup will have a side wall equidistant from each speaker ..and I will have about 3' or so from the side walls... So, some positives to be had there.... just be interesting the first time I fire it up - it is going to sound completely different.....

well thought I would get back to you... Made the move... here are the changes for a recap:

Went from basement/cement floor w carpet / drywall front and rear walls .. side walls heavily painted panel / ceiling about 7' / room was very dead..which I like.../ speakers about 7' apart (inside to inside)...seating position about 8' away...rear wall about 8' behind me.

New setup: wood floors w rug in the middle / ceiling height 9' / drywall all around...speakers are about 10' apart inside to inside.../ seated position about 9' away from speaker measuring panel to position.... some windows on the walls...

Bottom line - I like the new setup. Obviously more bass because of the wood floor (I think at least). I have yet to turn on my descent... The soundstage is gi-normous. This is what really draws me in. The imaging is still spot on but the players have more space between them. I was hoping to not get an echoey sound on the vocals - and I don't believe I am. But, I do think things sound more lively as expected. I will be turning on the descent soon and see what it sounds like with the old settings... I am expecting a lot of boom.... So, I suspect I will be lowering it.

Will soon be getting window treatments and that should help out as well...

Haha thanks for that brad ill give it a go with my tablet

Back