reQuests for advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquisonic

Reaction score
Hi all, on this New Year's eve! For anyone who knows this newbie, you know I think that ESLs are the best, and most revealing type of speakers out there. That being said, I only own a set of pre-Innersound flat 14" x 42" panels by R. Sanders, and I'd like to "share the sweet spot" (so to speak) with more than one listener at a time.
Now, if I'd been on the ball when I first joined this forum, I would have owned that (slightly damaged) set of CLSs that was on the "gon" for a while, but alas, that time is gone and the CLSs have seemed to command quite a premium these days.
Now in my experience, the only way to get that sonic "magic" that I know exists, is to have a LARGE ESL panel working to make this happen, and please correct me IF... I am clueless about all the new tech coming from ML.
Anyway, there is a set of reQuests up for sale, and I wonder how they compare to similar ML products of the same era ( SL3,QuestZ etc.)
So hey Folks, here I am contemplating an ML purchase, and am looking for this site's collective knowledge/advice for a review/ recommendation. Happy New Year's!
Newbie Steve

you know I just looked at the ones whith the extra panels that's a really sweet deal I would almost jump on that.

Last edited:
I had ReQuests from the first month they were available until last spring when I bought my CLS's. They are GREAT speakers, possibly the most overlooked model in the long history of the brand. I do think my CLS's are more revealing and cohesive overall, but the ReQuests had almost as much of the mid-range magic and were a bit more dynamic I think (possibly just because they were easier to drive).

I seriously doubt anyone owning a pair or ReQuests would have any regrets in their purchase.

Its the sweatiest mid range of just about all speakers.

The Quest ReQuest line sold more speakers than any other ML design .

That's what I call Community

Thanks for all of the advice folks, as said in my title..."That's what I call a community"

Cheers, Steve

I bought a pair of Quests from a friend of mine that were in mint condition dated 1993. I changed the panels, woofers and modified the crossover as well as the power supply to shut off current (when not being used) to the panels to minimize static charge.
I have no intention of changing them as I really love the sound! I have listened to the Summit and Spire and do agree they are better however, I still prefer the mid-range of the Quests! The bass slam of the others is better but I am using Bryston power amps and that made a huge difference in dynamics and bass.

Good luck

danman, I've owned the Eros II, CLS, SL3, Aerius, and Request. I completely understand about the narrow sweet spot of the Sander's designs. I transitioned from the Eros to the CLS then the Request. My experience mirrors MiTT's, the CLS were slightly more cohesive, but had such a lack of bass that it become a problem. Plus, at the time I was filling a 25x35 room, and they came up well short. The ReQuests really were able to fill the room and offer 95% of what the CLS did, but also offered a full-range sound, without the mid-bass hole that the CLS had.

You definitely won't regret ReQuests. They are still hands down my favorite speaker.

I can't remember when I purchased my ReQuests, probably about 5 years ago. I used them a lot until we had to divide the room upstairs 3 years ago to make an additional bedroom for our new born daughter. Since then they have resided on each side of my dresser in our bedroom. I haven't used them more than a few times in the past 3 years (due to having to move the ReQuests out into the room, repositioning them, running interconnects and placing the amplifiers in the bedroom all temporarily...and then undoing all that until next time) and I still won't sell them...that's how much I like them! Like others have said, you can't go wrong with ReQuests, however make sure you have the space for them. At the time the room was 18 x 24.

Thanks, more info

Hey, just so you guys get a "funny" out of this thread, read CAP's second post, and ask him if his Krells really make his panels "sweat" LOL Just kidding CAP, gotta proof read these MI posts don't-cha-know!

Well guys, looks like I lost a bid on the reQuests I was "eying" up, but I have no fear, and are determined to own a set of ML's when a set comes around that can be had at a price this layman can afford.

To danman, JJ, and Sambob
Thanks for more insight on this particular subject, and a question to JJ... With the Eros, how do you think the bass section of that setup suited you? I am just wondering, as I have been tinkering with hybrid TL's for a while, and want a "second opinion" to my own research.

As I have access to a full-blown PRAXIS testing system, I would love to see measurements of all of these hi-end speakers.

Enough for now, Steve

Back