Recommended AMP/Pre for Vantages?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xmagoo190

Reaction score
They say a watts a watt, and it doesn't matter watt you use; but I'm open to suggestions for an Amp for my Vantages within a $2000 budget. I'm guessing mono blocks are out

Depending on room size, you don't need all that much power. I would be more concerned about the quality of the power. Tone magazine had a recent review of the Rega Brio R which is comfortable driving loads down to 2 ohms! What about a tube integrated like the Audio Research VSi55 or the later VSi60?

Obviously, bigger rooms and higher spl's = more quality watts. In that case, perhaps an earlier Audio Research preamp and an Anthem power amp. For very few dollars you would have an awesome amplifier combination for your Vantages.

Depending on room size, you don't need all that much power. I would be more concerned about the quality of the power. .

That sounds like snake oil to me. It's a well known fact that planars drop down to 2 ohms at times so how does 50w's keep up with the load. edwinr I'm not singling you out personally but I've seen this comment so much & the first time until now I've thought bullshit, it goes against the stats on power hungry speakers, which Logans surely are. I'm open to be educated by any & all. Peace!

Well bzr, call it snake oil if you wish. I run my Theos with a Bryston B-60, and I listen at loud levels. I previously drove my Summits with both a 50 watt s/s and a 40 watt tube - nice sound too. Before you continue with your harsh comments, perhaps you could do yourself a favor and read up more about the relatively easy load most ML speakers present to amplifiers. Maybe you could also research where that 'infamous' 2 ohms actually kicks in. Also, avoid getting tied up with written specs, they're only a very rough guide. Listen for yourself.

Have a nice day.:cool:

P.S. To churchill. I was the proud owner of a more recent version of the Pass Labs X150.5 a couple of years ago. Beautiful amplifier. If xmagoo190 looks hard, he might find the earlier X150 at an affordable price.

Last edited:
I ran my Summits with a McIntosh 205, 200wpc. I then switched to a McIntosh 402, 400wpc. They sounded good with 200wpc, definitely better with 400wpc.

Mine are used with Classé audio preamp processor and an old Simaudio 50w/8 ohm amp.
Great sound!
This amp is able to drive 1 ohm speaker. So it's not the 8 ohm rating that count, it's the amp quality.
I might change this amp for a newer Classe or Simaudio. Prefer to buy something from where I live ( however some American amps ( Mark Levinson) are tempting too).

Hello,
I have had my Vantages for almost 5 years and have primarily used an Aragon 8008bb. This has been a great combination and the 8008bb is a great buy on the Used Market if you can find one. They tend to sell as soon as they are listed on Audiogon.

I have also used a Parasound HCA-3500 and even used a Parasound HCA-2205AT driving Vantages, Stage, and Vistas. I was most impressed that the 5 Channel 2205AT did such a great job driving all 5 Speakers, but as I have 2 very powerful Stereo Amplifiers, I figured I might as well use one or the other. I do go back and forth between the 8008bb and the 3500 to drive the Vantages, but the 2205 honestly did just fine driving the Vantages.
Cheers,
JJ

I ran my Summits with a McIntosh 205, 200wpc. I then switched to a McIntosh 402, 400wpc. They sounded good with 200wpc, definitely better with 400wpc.

Thats physics. ;) This is like arguing which is the best cable. From my experience, where I put my Summit X's into my system with a 125w amp I thought they sounded great. Then went to a 500w amp & my ears told me things were otherwise, the extra power made a difference.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that the Vantages were perfect with 200wpc. The Summits needed more. Just my opinion.

I ran my Vantages with a McIntosh MC352 and found it to be more than enough. I realize your budget is 2K but you may be able to locate one for around that. I also experimented with a B&K 2220 (2X220) which had the same tonality of the McIntosh. The B&K I sold went for about $550 about 2-3 years ago and enjoyed that amp. I just happen to like big blue meters :)

Gordon

That sounds like snake oil to me... edwinr I'm not singling you out personally but I've seen this comment so much & the first time until now I've thought bullshit...

Actually, I was trying to be nice and not let that post get under my skin. Not all of us can afford big power amplifiers even though we would like to. I struggled to get back into ML and a quality 60 watter was the best I could do, and man did I search hard for a really good used amp under $1000. And bzr, you can jam it if that's the kind of response I can expect from not having that much money and trying to help others in the same situation...

Sorry xmagoo190.

Last edited:
Hola. Well to my ears, quality watts are better than quantity watts. Out there are low power amps that are breath taking! with the quality, inner detail, low noise, very dynamic (between their power limitations of course) and truly 3 dimensional. It is not true that the ML are power hungry. They were at the past, not on these days!!!... as an example, the Vatages sesitivity is 92 dB/2.83V/m. I have customers driving it as an example with a Viva Solista (Thing is, 22 watts per channel will probably limit the appeal of the Solista MkII for Nirvana fans) and it is a truly high end sound!. Only 22 watts/channel and wow! that system is truly fantastic. Happy listening,

I can recommend Nuforce. Some people say it doesnt work well with ML but I love it.
I have the Nuforce MCH-3SEC7 and have had Vantage and now I own Spire. It sounds great!

This is great feedback. Some users are trying to persuade me to go with an AVR and adding an amp for the Vantages. Just not sure if what quality I get with something like a MX500, NAD, 7005 or Pioneer Elite vs. seperates.

This is great feedback. Some users are trying to persuade me to go with an AVR and adding an amp for the Vantages. Just not sure if what quality I get with something like a MX500, NAD, 7005 or Pioneer Elite vs. seperates.

Well - that probably has something to do with your price limitations. You could get a great amp for 2k - i think... but you still have the pre-amp to think about.. these folks aren't recommending integrateds... So, your options are - get an AVR with a nice amp hooked to it via the AVR outputs - or lowering the price on the amp and looking for a pre-amp as well.... I have had an amp hooked to an avr... the amp made a very BIG difference to the sound.. I used to think pre-amps didn't make that big of a difference...until I got my cary slp98p.... Now that is a tube unit - and the differences were the largest I have heard a new purchase make in my system. so I think you either decide to go the avr route with a very nice amp - and then save for the pre-amp ... or consider a nice integrated.... for the record... I have a sunfire signature amp with my cary pre... you could probably get both used for a total of 3K... not 2K...

Latest posts

Back