random q's from a noobie prospective buyer

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want to keep opening new threads and just hijack this nice forum by storm, so Ill keep it to one thread. All I do all day is dream of Martin Logans. Ive heard only the Vista, Vantage, Summit, Stage. Im looking at ebay right now because I can afford used:

So assuming I am quite familiar with the above: how much of a drop in sq do I get with 5-ch Ascent-i+Theater-i+Scripts ($4900), Aeon ($1550), Aerius ($750).

I am familiar with the Vistas ($2500) that I love (even with its bass issues) so I may bid on those. I have been told to stay away from Clarity's. Are Aeons and Aerius similar to Clarity? See, I have no idea where I can audition these (outside of Clarity)....

Please be forthright and honest, because I have been patient for quite a while. But man its wearing thin. By looking thru these forums, I see that the older models tend to be fuller/richer, but not as detailed (which was what I loved about the new ML's). Also, larger panels in general for better dispersion/staging, correct?

I will predict you guys will say get the 5-speaker combo (I can pick these up) or Vistas(?) Thanks again everyone, jk319.

I'm not going to impose on you my biases with regards to which speaker (ML) to get. If you look at my previous threads/posts, you'll know which ones I like moreso than another.

Anyway, I would like to say that you are becoming just like 90% of us on MLO.... craaaazy! Think about MLs in the AM and PM? You're a bonafide nut!!

Which is definitely a good thing....

Welcome to the club! I'm sure you'll do us proud with whichever ML speaker you choose.

Joey

im assuming all the spkrs are used? the 5 spkr package is a pretty good deal, especially if they have been taken care of. in any case, i see nothing wrong with the claritys, perhaps that bad name was based on the fact that will be replaced...or rather upgraded and perhaps called something else...thats all ill say on clarities since i really dont know what info has been released about that...what i know is from the ML dealer rep for the store i work at.
anyway back to my point (or at least your inquiry):
5 spkr package = good.
aerius-i = great, money could go to center and other surrounds...my pref is a traditional cone di-pole surround...easier to place and no AC needed, as well as cheaper, which then leaves even more cash for other toys.

sorry about the long winded-ness...i tend to do this...anyway, happy hunting!!

~greg

Hey thanks for the input Greg, and no its not long-winded. Im glad you bring up the point about Clarity. In another forum, I chatted with someone who knows quite a bit more than me in general, but I found our opinions really lined up quite a bit. We werent even originally talking about MLs to begin with either. He said he hated the claritys, liked the vistas, and loved the vantages. Well, I loved the vistas, and loverered the vantages. So, I guess, I may predict I lov the claritys....

Ya, you know Ive never tried dipoles or bipoles for surrounds. Could be cool. Do you find for the cc that ML would be the only way to voice-match the fronts? Better to use phantom that a cone center I presume?

Greg, does your store have a website? Can you hook me up? :cheers: hehe

Hey thanks for the input Greg, and no its not long-winded. Im glad you bring up the point about Clarity. In another forum, I chatted with someone who knows quite a bit more than me in general, but I found our opinions really lined up quite a bit. We werent even originally talking about MLs to begin with either. He said he hated the claritys, liked the vistas, and loved the vantages. Well, I loved the vistas, and loverered the vantages. So, I guess, I may predict I lov the claritys....

Ya, you know Ive never tried dipoles or bipoles for surrounds. Could be cool. Do you find for the cc that ML would be the only way to voice-match the fronts? Better to use phantom that a cone center I presume?

Greg, does your store have a website? Can you hook me up? :cheers: hehe

JK,

I liked the Claritys, but I've listened to them so many times and had some opportunities to buy them and my opinion of them is that for the money, I'd rather spend just a bit more and move up to the Vistas. The Clarities are good, but not a particularly tempting stat considering the price of the Vista or Aeon (which preceded the Vista) above it.

Just my 2 centavos.

Joey

every once in a while i use a vinnette (sp) for the center when i demo the claritys (or even the vistas) and that works quite well...probably due to the thin film tweet. for the vantage/summits id definately rec. phantom if you are not goin to use an ESL. the only older model ML's that i have played around with (phantom versus non ESL center) are the aerius-i (mine haha) so i cant comment 1st hand on which way to do things, but i imagine, the trend would stay the same (smaller models okay, larger, most likely not).

i also agree with joey...for a few extra bucks the vista would be the way to go.

my surrounds are the paradigm ADP-370's...watching master and commander hooked me on the bi-pole/di-pole craze:D (ch # 4 and 5).

our store does not have a website running currently...its been under construction for months (maybe years). as for discounts...im not going to say that i cant hook you up;)...look me up if you come to SLO town

~greg

p.s. i should mention, just to clarify, that its not MY store, i just work there...:cool:

Back