Rails for Sequel II.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiXeL

Reaction score
Anyone who knows where i can get new wooden rails for my Sequel II's?

I emailed ML, but they don't produce these rails anymore... :sad:

Anyone?? :)

I have an extra set of green rails from the SL3s. I believe these are the same rails as the Sequel II, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable can confirm. If you're looking for black rails, or a dark stain or paint, these could be refinished.

- Jason

Thanks for replying. :)

I want high gloss Black Piano Finish. :)

My original rails are in perfect condition, so i have been thinking about painting them myself - Its just so much easyer to just by new ones... :eek:

Thanks for replying. :)

I want high gloss Black Piano Finish. :)

My original rails are in perfect condition, so i have been thinking about painting them myself - Its just so much easyer to just by new ones... :eek:
Here's what to do (from an owner of original Sequels): Go to an auto parts store, and buy a couple of spray cans of auto touch-up paint; two of gray (or better yet black) primer, and two of gloss black. Strip off the original varnish; it's pretty thin so it'll be easy to remove with coarse sandpaper, or use stripper if you're in a hurry. Sand the wood down with 220 grit paper, and then go to finer and finer grit, ending with a good rub-down with 0000 steel wool. Clean with solvent, and then put down two coats of primer, then rub down with the steel wool, then add two more coats of primer. Give plenty of drying time. Overnight is best. Rub down again, and on a nice warm day, lay down the gloss black, again with two coats, and rub down yet again with the steel wool. Then lay down two more coats of the gloss black, only a little heavier this time, and let dry. And don't be afraid to be creative; there'll be lots of interesting colors to choose from, and you could end up with something really unique! In any case, you'll have a finish quality equal to or better than the factory could offer, for pocket money! If you do choose a metallic shade, be sure to get a can or two of clear as well.
Hope this helps!

why sand the sealer off that ML used. Just use steel wool 000 and buff dull. Spray with primer then spray with black and top with 5 coats of clear lacquer and use the 000 steel woolto buff the lacquer smooth . Then take some fine compound and hand buff to a gloss shine !

why sand the sealer off that ML used. Just use steel wool 000 and buff dull. Spray with primer then spray with black and top with 5 coats of clear lacquer and use the 000 steel woolto buff the lacquer smooth . Then take some fine compound and hand buff to a gloss shine !
The danger could be that ML used a polyurethane or some other oil-based finish, and going over that could cause a reaction. The reaction, if there is one, could show up some time after application. That having happened to me, in other furniture refinishing projects, in my book, better to be safe than sorry! Going over the black with clear sounds like a great idea. I'll have to try that next time.

The danger could be that ML used a polyurethane or some other oil-based finish, and going over that could cause a reaction. The reaction, if there is one, could show up some time after application. That having happened to me, in other furniture refinishing projects, in my book, better to be safe than sorry! Going over the black with clear sounds like a great idea. I'll have to try that next time.

True , tis better to be safe than sorry. The sanding sealer is very easy to sand off. ( I did it) . Use black lacquer, not black paint as lacquer is a reactive finish and will melt into itself every coat.

Latest posts

Back