Question on CLX and Subs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tollesont

Reaction score
I just bought a couple of CLX speakers. I have two Velodyne dd-15 for when I am playing movies and SACD. However, I do not use the Velodynes in two channel mode. So my question is when playing in two Channel mode (vinyl and cd's) should I get some descent i's? Do the add a lot when playing jazz and classic rock? The system sounds great to me when playing music, just wondering about integrating the descent i's in also.

Hola Tollesont. The most important is the quality of the bass, not the quantity. I am also a CLX user. The Depth I and the Descent I, are great subs to match with. You can buy a kit for the subs from your dealer. The kit was designed for the CLXs. It is a user installation, and very easy to do, or you can order it with it. I do not know if the new subs models come with this kit built in. The kit consists in a proper crossover point. The bass coming from the subs should be perceived, not hear it. If you are hearing the subs, bring down the volume level until you get the deepness of the bass notes. This, opens up the stage and makes steady image with the right size of the instruments, giving tons of air too.
Here is what Martin Logan says about the kit:

Custom CLX / Subwoofer Filter
Seamless blending between a subwoofer and full-range loudspeaker is, at the best of times, challenging—and when you're dealing with a no-holds-barred reference level product such as the CLX there is no room for error. The addition of an optional custom 'CLX filter' to the Descent i and Depth i subwoofers takes the headache out of achieving superb low-frequency performance.
The optional Descent i/Depth i CLX filter board contains an optimized low pass filter that precisely matches the 56Hz low-frequency roll off of the CLX. Once this custom board is installed inside of your subwoofer, setup is only a matter of adjusting the phase and level of your sub.
This custom filter is applied only to the left and right inputs of your subwoofer. The sub's LFE input remains unfiltered, which allows surround preamp/processors to send low-frequency information for the center, surround, and LFE channels without compromising the performance of your CLX.

Happy listening

Last edited:
this is a bit more of answer directed to Roberto. The balanced force subs will use a downloadable filter for the CLX and other MLs that can be put on a USB stick (included) then loaded to the woofer. We are, i believe up to 44 different MLs in the filter library. I recently did a show with CLX and a preproduction version of a 210 and got better blending results than me doing it by ear over a day. as the depth and Descents, we do make board that is better than any knob twirling can get that is simple to install. In a way it is a good lesson in how we long we plan out. the i version of the subs came out a number of years before CLX and we had that fore site to build in that ability, knowing CLX where way down the horizon. Almost 5 years apart. Since the new ones are digitilly based, you can do things in that domain that you can't do with parts so i believe and even better result can be obtained. Still the best overall matchup as the subs and speakers grew up in the same lab developed by the same people.

this is a bit more of answer directed to Roberto. The balanced force subs will use a downloadable filter for the CLX and other MLs that can be put on a USB stick (included) then loaded to the woofer. We are, i believe up to 44 different MLs in the filter library. I recently did a show with CLX and a preproduction version of a 210 and got better blending results than me doing it by ear over a day. as the depth and Descents, we do make board that is better than any knob twirling can get that is simple to install. In a way it is a good lesson in how we long we plan out. the i version of the subs came out a number of years before CLX and we had that fore site to build in that ability, knowing CLX where way down the horizon. Almost 5 years apart. Since the new ones are digitilly based, you can do things in that domain that you can't do with parts so i believe and even better result can be obtained. Still the best overall matchup as the subs and speakers grew up in the same lab developed by the same people.
Thanks Peter. I just ordered the 210 since some time by now. I know that soon, I will be playing with it. I will do your recommendation. Happy listening!

I haven't seen the new Balanced force Subwoofers in Canada yet. Am I just not looking hard enough, or just not being patient enough? Is there a seperate release date for Canada?

I just purchased a pair of Descent i c/w CLX filter from Da Vinci Media (see classified) to go with my CLXs. They are still not broken in and I am still experimenting with room placement. So far I am very impressed and know they will only continue to get better

To my ears, they do...it is quality bass, not quantity. Their primary design is for music reproduction! Happy listening.

Music is mind blowing now that I got a Descent i. I had a pretty big sub before but this blows it away and has "audiophile" quality bass.

It's not going to make a huge difference on 1940's recordings but with anything modern (eg: Dark Side of the Moon and later) you better bolt down the furniture!

Last edited:
Peter,

Will ML have the new subs at the "Truth in Sound" demo in Gainesville this coming weekend? If so, I'll try to run up on Fri.

Never mind! Just called the store, and they said they'll be demo'ing the BalancedForce 210!

Now, I need to rearrange my Fri schedule!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have CLXes with a JL f113 and an old Depth sub. The f113 never really worked well with the CLXes, so I only use it for LFE. The Depth is only used for music. It's okay, but not great, basically just filler. I considered a second f113 with an electronic crossover, but it is just too complicated and I don't want to risk that investment and not get it right.

So I'm thinking replacing my two unmatched subs with a pair of Balanced Force units. I am debating the 210 versus the 212. I am primarily concerned with music and I'm not big on booming action movies. My room is 18' X 25' X 8'. I would think the 210s would be faster and therefore might better match the CLXes. I am interested in filling out the missing bottom octaves and overcoming some of the thinness and brightness of the CLXes. Any thoughts on 210s vs. 212s?

Thanks!

Jeff

I am curious as to which of the two means of inputting audio that are available to Depth/Descent owners is most favoured .
For my part , sonically , I markedly prefer to connect via the speaker In , over RCA line In ?

Last edited:
Back