Question for those using McIntosh Power amplifiers with Martin Logan

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
McIntosh makes the MC205/207 which is directly coupled to the output transistors.

I use the 4 ohm tap from my MC402 to my Vantages. I do like the dynamics of the 8 ohm, but found that it could not deliver enough current to some of my music that has loud transients.

McIntosh makes the MC205/207 which is directly coupled to the output transistors.

I use the 4 ohm tap from my MC402 to my Vantages. I do like the dynamics of the 8 ohm, but found that it could not deliver enough current to some of my music that has loud transients.

Even with a 4 ohm tap being used the high frequencies (and the air) mostly goes away. McIntosh achieves their excellent low distortion specs via the windings of the autoformers. The existance of those windings simply makes it impossible to adequetely drive a speaker with extreme impedence swings. They need a speaker with a fairly uniform impedence curve across their frequency response to really sing.

Last edited:
Back