Quandry.. Parasound or Sunfire

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickeyVee

Reaction score
I went out look today just to see other ML speakers but unfortunately, in Toronto, ML does not seem to be that popular. The dealer I went to did not stock them and only had a demo pair of Clarity's hooked up to a Parasound 2 channel system. I was a little disappointed as I wanted to see the Vista or Vantage or even the Purity and Source. No luck.

So, I thought, let's see what the Clarity's sounded like through a Parasound 2 channel system. Boy was I surprised. The Clarity's ran with much better dynamics and cohesion than I ever heard from my system. Yes, they were the same speakers (probably not fully broken in yet either) but it was enough of a difference that I am starting to rethink my amplification.

The conversation turned to adding the Parasound A23 (small 2 channel amp, 125 wpc and into 4 ohms, 200 watts) to my system to drive the Clarity's and use the Rotel to drive the remaining center and rears.
I also have the opportunity to get my hands on a Sunfire Theatre Grand 3 receiver at nearly half price. This give me 200x7 Bob Carver amplification and still keeps my system relatively simple. I have loved the Sunfire receiver since I first saw it in Montreal years ago. Canadian list is $6,000.00. If I score, I can scoop one up for between $2.5~$3K US and have it shipped.

So, my question is: Which way to go? Would the Sunfire be that much better than the Rotel? or just add the Parasound. My worry is about balance across the front three speakers for movies. I love my system for HT, but it is lacking for good 2 channel. The Sunfire may give me the best of both worlds plus tmaybe a better pre-amp section to boot.
I can't audition the Sunfire (no place stocks them in Toronto that I know of) and the lead I have is a store demo in Texas so I'd be buying blind.

Any pearls of wisdom are welcome! Thanks, Mark

Alright Mark let me "muddy" the waters a bit. Given what your willing to spend buy yourself a used Plinius SA-102 and don't look back !!

I know there are alot of very happy Sunfire owners here, but for the pure musicality of the 'two channels' that you're after I (along with others) will swear by our 'Plinnys' when it comes to SS amplification.

Sunfire 2 channel amps can be had cheap. They are great amps with a softer side. I had one. Picking a amp is like picking a wife hopefully slow and precise, as if you make a mistake its fast and costly !

Sunfire 2 channel amps can be had cheap. They are great amps with a softer side. I had one. Picking a amp is like picking a wife hopefully slow and precise, as if you make a mistake its fast and costly !

Love the quote.. pure genius! (and probably quite true).
looks like for the long term.. I will need to go to separates. A good AV processor and a good amp. Plinius amplification and Sunfire or Anthem processors seem the way to go.
My goal is to keep the system simple.. that's the attraction of the Sunfire receiver instead of adding an amp.. guess I'm looking for a band aid solution for now. May not be the best way to go but we're starting to house hunt so that's where the money will be going.
Maybe the best thing to do now is keep the audio fund growing and then make some serious upgrades instead of the band aid solutions. Still like the idea of the Sunfire.

Mick,

I second the Plinny. Also, I'm sure you can wrestle Dave's Plinny out of his hands.... seems like the guy's smitten by some tube thingamajiger...

I went out look today just to see other ML speakers but unfortunately, in Toronto, ML does not seem to be that popular. The dealer I went to did not stock them and only had a demo pair of Clarity's hooked up to a Parasound 2 channel system. I was a little disappointed as I wanted to see the Vista or Vantage or even the Purity and Source. No luck.

So, I thought, let's see what the Clarity's sounded like through a Parasound 2 channel system. Boy was I surprised. The Clarity's ran with much better dynamics and cohesion than I ever heard from my system. Yes, they were the same speakers (probably not fully broken in yet either) but it was enough of a difference that I am starting to rethink my amplification.

The conversation turned to adding the Parasound A23 (small 2 channel amp, 125 wpc and into 4 ohms, 200 watts) to my system to drive the Clarity's and use the Rotel to drive the remaining center and rears.
I also have the opportunity to get my hands on a Sunfire Theatre Grand 3 receiver at nearly half price. This give me 200x7 Bob Carver amplification and still keeps my system relatively simple. I have loved the Sunfire receiver since I first saw it in Montreal years ago. Canadian list is $6,000.00. If I score, I can scoop one up for between $2.5~$3K US and have it shipped.

So, my question is: Which way to go? Would the Sunfire be that much better than the Rotel? or just add the Parasound. My worry is about balance across the front three speakers for movies. I love my system for HT, but it is lacking for good 2 channel. The Sunfire may give me the best of both worlds plus tmaybe a better pre-amp section to boot.
I can't audition the Sunfire (no place stocks them in Toronto that I know of) and the lead I have is a store demo in Texas so I'd be buying blind.

Any pearls of wisdom are welcome! Thanks, Mark

How can you be sure the differences you heard in that system compared to yours was due to just the amp? You were also listening to different room acoustics and a different source component. Thats one reason why a home audition is nice. You may get the amp home and find that it doesn't sound much different than what you had, or it may.

Whenever, I've heard the Clarities in a store I've always been impressed with the clean and balanced sound it has. I also think it is one the best looking MLs made and the easiest to blend into a room's decor.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have owned both Sunfire and Parasound. Both offer an amazing price/performance ratio. Plinius is awesome stuff and if financially friendly do not look back. I am currently using a Parasound HCA-3500 to drive my Vantages and I am beyond pleased. If available under 1200.00 awesome value. There is one on the gon', but, the lister is asking $1450.00. I would absolutely recommend any of the higher powered HCA series(used) or current Halo gear. Given your choices, you cannot go wrong.
Cheers,
Mark

How can you be sure the differences you heard in that system compared to yours was due to just the amp? You were also listening to different room acoustics and a different source component. Thats one reason why a home audition is nice. You may get the amp home and find that it doesn't sound much different than what you had, or it may.

Whenever, I've heard the Clarities in a store I've always been impressed with the clean and balanced sound it has. I also think it is one the best looking MLs made and the easiest to blend into a room's decor.

You're absolutely right. Different electronics, CD player, cabling, room acoustics, etc. The audition did show me the Clarity's can do more that I am currently hearing in my home. I've had the Clarity's in three different homes now and in each home, I love the sound of HT but I believe that I can do better with 2CH.
If I decide to go the Parasound route, I can audition the unit for 14 days at home. That will really tell if I'm going in the right direction.

When I bought my Ascent-i, I was using a Sunfire Grand Cinema 5 for my amp, which I still do for HT. Then I switched to the Parasound A21 for my fronts/2ch listening and I haven't looked back. The A21 is much more musical to me, with a more tuneful bass than the Sunfire. I have since upgraded to Vantages, but my original findings have held true. The Sunfire handles dramatic dynamic swings slightly better than the A21, which is why I still have it for HT. If my experience is representative of what you find with any Sunfire/Parasound comparison, I recommend the Parasound for 2ch and the Sunfire for HT.

When I bought my Ascent-i, I was using a Sunfire Grand Cinema 5 for my amp, which I still do for HT. Then I switched to the Parasound A21 for my fronts/2ch listening and I haven't looked back. The A21 is much more musical to me, ......
I would also agree on the Parasound vs Sunfire, but this is all very subjective as each of us may prefer one product over the other and needs to be determined by each of us.

Back