Pursuit of the ML CLX

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregadd

Reaction score
I thought this over and it might be fun.
Within the next six months I will pursue the ML CLX.
I'll post my progress. I hope to have the CLX before the Fall colors.
The first order of business is a serious audition.
Savings account is already in place.
I hope the members will make suggestions.
Is it true? "Is life a journey and not a destination.?
Gregadd:cool:

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!"

Enjoy the ride !!

I'd like to think that it's a journey, but at a certain point you can get to the destination...

After listening to the CLX for almost six months now, I just cant imagine anything I would enjoy more, but that's me and my personal taste.

Dieter Burmester put it perfectly on his website, when he said that "the perfect music system is when you stop contemplating"...

I think if the CLX's can help you get to that point where you can truly enjoy the music, and forget about the gear, that's awesome!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!"

Enjoy the ride !!

I love this quote! I've heard it before and everytime it pops up it brings a smile to my face!

Good luck gregadd. Perhaps another nice informative thread like MGA?

Gordon

Good luck, man. I know that I'm really agonizing right now, trying to decide on the CLX!

Greggadd,

Congratulations on your plan to acquire the CLX's.

You might want to get ahold of Mike Samra on audioasylum. He is getting a pair (might already have them). I am going to have him do some mods to my supratek preamp and was chatting with him on the phone when we found out besides tubes we both have logans. He currently has CLS's that were damaged in a flood and the insurance settlement helped him grab a pair of CLX's.

In any event they should be a fantastic acquisition. I love my Summits and am having a ball but would love to spend some quality time listening to the top of the line CLX.

Have Fun!

tax time

Spring and tax time are coming to the DC area. Cherry blossoms are coming. I never admit that I actually like the cherry blossoms. I just ride my bicycle down by the East Potomac River.

First step to CLX. Earn money. Not a good time for most. Unfortunately the DC City Council is churning out new crime legislation like the Federal Reserve is printing money. It should keep me busy.

My next step is posting some pictures of me auditioning the CLX.:cool:
gregadd

Gregadd,

If you hear them, your time line may be expedited! You may want to postpone auditioning, or you may suffer some anguish.

Good luck!

I thought this over and it might be fun.
Within the next six months I will pursue the ML CLX.
I'll post my progress. I hope to have the CLX before the Fall colors.
The first order of business is a serious audition.
Savings account is already in place.
I hope the members will make suggestions.
Is it true? "Is life a journey and not a destination.?

I find it odd that you are absolute in your decision to obtain the CLX, but state that your first order of business is a serious audition!!!???

Sounds like you are making a very expensive buying decision based solely on the hyperbole of others and not on your own experience. Why even audition them at all if you have already decided you have to have them? I suggest you back off a little and recognize the potential differences in sound vs. cost of some of ML's other speakers (used Summit, Summit X, Spire, etc.) and seriously compare them to the CLX before you decide you must have the CLX. You could be planning to spend a whole lot of money for a slightly better sound. Just a thought.

I don't know what your setup is like, but unless you have all top-notch components and a well-treated room, you are not likely to get the full value of the benefits of the CLX over the other ML speakers. Sorry to throw cold water on your journey, but I'm just trying to get you to view this potential purchase in a more practical manner.

Not locked in

"Life is what happens to you while you are pursuing your dream." :cool:
Not really impressed by ML hybrids. Although Quad and ribbon hybrids like Maggie and VMPS remain an option.
gregadd

Last edited:
Greggadd,

Congratulations on your plan to acquire the CLX's.

You might want to get ahold of Mike Samra on audioasylum. He is getting a pair (might already have them). I am going to have him do some mods to my supratek preamp and was chatting with him on the phone when we found out besides tubes we both have logans. He currently has CLS's that were damaged in a flood and the insurance settlement helped him grab a pair of CLX's.

In any event they should be a fantastic acquisition. I love my Summits and am having a ball but would love to spend some quality time listening to the top of the line CLX.

Have Fun!
Steelhead, are you really in Eagle River? You're really close to me. I'm thinking about buying a pair of CLX's and having them shipped up. I'm wondering where you got your Summits at, though. Take care!

Hey Wildblue

Yes, an I am in Eagle River. I live on Winter Park. been in AK since 1980 and bought my house in 1988.

I bought my Summits from Mark at Audio systems in Austin, TX. He was great to deal with and I could not pass up the "demo" pricing and discount as the Summit was discontinued. I have a pair in Birds Eye Maple and have been having a ball with them since I received them a few months ago. They have some of the dynamics of my old JBL's, some of the low bass of my Infinity 4.5's, and are more transparent and fun than my reQuests. I had no intention of replacing my reQuests as I thought they were fantastic for most of my listening but I am sure glad I made the plunge and Friday nights here are a ball.

If your ever in the neighborhood, stop by and give them a listen. I have a nice vinyl setup, reel to reel, mindisc, cassette, cd, and SACD, so you can compare to your heart's content.

Oh, get the CLX's and I would LOVE an invitation over.

Have Fun!

What about home theatre?

I see some guys using some pretty hefty speakers for their home theatre. I have not paid much attention to home theatre for over a decade. Did I miss something? I actually liked the early hi fi sound of surround sound systems. Have they improved so much that it actually makes sense for me to keep my CLS 1 as a rear channel and and purchase a ML center channel speaker. Maybe I should get a a surround processor as a preamp with an outboard phone preamp. Then I could get an overhead projector. By the time I finish I'll be ready for retirement.
Then maybe I should get a five channel amp.

The fact remains that very few people can pull out record after record until its 2 o'clock in the morning. You guys know what I mean. When the stereo is sounding so good you don't want to turn it off.

The average person needs video.

What brought this on? I stopped at a Bose Audio Outlet Store over the weekend and auditoned a home theatre system. Most intriguing was its automatic equalization. They put a three sided box over the center speaker. The system them automatically adjusted itself to sound the same as it did before the box was placed over it. Open 180degrees away from the listeners.:cool:
gregadd

I see some guys using some pretty hefty speakers for their home theatre. I have not paid much attention to home theatre for over a decade. Did I miss something? I actually liked the early hi fi sound of surround sound systems. Have they improved so much that it actually makes sense for me to keep my CLS 1 as a rear channel and and purchase a ML center channel speaker. Maybe I should get a a surround processor as a preamp with an outboard phone preamp. Then I could get an overhead projector. By the time I finish I'll be ready for retirement.
Then maybe I should get a five channel amp.

The fact remains that very few people can pull out record after record until its 2 o'clock in the morning. You guys know what I mean. When the stereo is sounding so good you don't want to turn it off.

The average person needs video.

What brought this on? I stopped at a Bose Audio Outlet Store over the weekend and auditoned a home theatre system. Most intriguing was its automatic equalization. They put a three sided box over the center speaker. The system them automatically adjusted itself to sound the same as it did before the box was placed over it. Open 180degrees away from the listeners.:cool:
gregadd

Hi Greg,

As the local HT pimp, I can opine on this one ;)

I set out to build a system that would sound excellent on all types of sources be it stereo music, surround music or movies.

Making a system that works well for surround is a LOT more difficult than just 2ch. But if you are willing to work at it, it can be very rewarding.

First off is getting the right space and applying the right amount of room treatments.

Second, is the right speaker setup. This is a big variable, and if using large units like CLX / CLS, then your room will need to be sized and treated appropriately, or the results could be very disappointing.

The center speaker is critical, but then you might not want to listen to me on that topic ;)

Third, the right preamp will make a world of difference. This being the year 2009, digital front-ends have come a long, long way. The top end units all have some form of auto-setup and room correction.

The best room correction (IMHO) at this point, is the Audyssey system.

One of the best implementations of a high-end surround sound processor with room correction is the Denon AVP-A1HDci. Yes a Denon, get over it. With dual-differential balanced signal paths throughout, top quality parts, four independent power subsystems, etc. It’s super-clean on the audio front.

When an Audyssey Pro room calibration is applied, this preamp will transform a good system into an amazing system. Time coherence is the first thing one notices, then it’s the loss of room (and speaker) resonances and frequency aberrations.
Features like Audyssey Dynamic EQ are just icing on the cake, as one can listen to music at lower volumes with the correct frequency balance. It’s now a feature I can’t live without.

Being a Denon, it supports DenonLink, a unique digital streaming interface between universal players and preamp that provides a totally jitter-free transmission of SACD, DVD-Audio, CD and DVD-V audio streams.
On the video front, it’s no slouch. Full HQV Realta T2 scaler, six HDMI switcher, and great upscaling features.
Internal streaming support means jitter-free playback of lossless rips from your server.
More ways to control it than you can dream off with network, serial and IR interfaces.

I could go on, but I suggest reading the reviews and getting a good demo for yourself.

BTW- this preamp is at the heart of my current setup, and its awesome.

So yes, creating an HT setup is possible, and quite rewarding, but it’s not the simplest thing to do.

another peice of the puzzle

My Moscode 402AU should arrive in a couple of weeks.:p
P.S. Got an email form George Kaye. Amp should ariive some time next week.

Last edited:
One other speaker to check out if you don't like the ML Hybrids and don't want to add subwoofers to the CLX (Which I really feel is necc..) is the Magnepan 20.1...

I spent some time at a friends house last week who has them and forgot how much I liked that speaker. A lot more money than the 3.6's, but a LOT more speaker too... And a few other people have mentioned the Sound Labs which are also excellent.

The only advice I'd give you before you write the 25k check is to not have buyers remorse once you pull the trigger, regardless of what you pick.

One other speaker to check out if you don't like the ML Hybrids and don't want to add subwoofers to the CLX (Which I really feel is necc..)

after hearing the CLX I will agree subs are necessary they sounded good but they really dropped of before the bass drum area :^( if I bought I would probable budget two decent i 's for them then you really need some space.this will teach me to comment before I actually listen as I have in the past

I have lots of time.

One other speaker to check out if you don't like the ML Hybrids and don't want to add subwoofers to the CLX (Which I really feel is necc..) is the Magnepan 20.1...

I spent some time at a friends house last week who has them and forgot how much I liked that speaker. A lot more money than the 3.6's, but a LOT more speaker too... And a few other people have mentioned the Sound Labs which are also excellent.

The only advice I'd give you before you write the 25k check is to not have buyers remorse once you pull the trigger, regardless of what you pick.
I probaly will not use ML subs. I will consider other speakers. Some guy is making custom frames fo Maggies. I suspect that will be a dramatic imrovement.
Jeff ,by time I get money for CLX, I will have exmained numerous options.

I am in need of a new front end. Would you care to donate your Spiral Groove?;)
Gregadd:cool::cool:

New Linestage

So how are we feeling about ARC Ref 3?:confused:

Latest posts

Back