Proof a vintage Porsche will turn you homeless

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kach22i

Reaction score
Proof a vintage Porsche will turn you homeless.

I took the last couple of days off to get my 30 year old Porsche ready for the summer. I had to open up the engine and adjust some valves, change the engine oil, transmission gear oil and a few other things.

I then took a test drive and took advantage of the setting sun to take some photographs of a 48,000 SF building I designed a few years ago. The building is so large that the best pictures are taken from across the street.

So there I am taking pictures of the building and checking the engine oil level with engine running and all warmed up like I'm supposed to when a guy comes out of the condo sales clubhouse and ask me what I was doing. He explained that the sales lady (his words) that he works with (he's the grounds keeper) asked him to investigate. Realizing that I was a greasy dirty mess I explained and said I know that I don't look like an architect now...........we had a good laugh and I went on my way when I was finished.

I went home ate dinner grabbed some of my work things and went for a ride down scenic Huron River Drive. On my way home I went down town Ann Arbor to drop off my two nice leather carrying bags at my office while still dressed in my car working clothes. I did this because I walk 30 minutes to work and did not want to carry both bags in the morning.

Walking down the street a half a block from my office a police car pulls over, the officer walks up to me and asks me my name, where am I going and what's in the bags.

I told him my name, told him that I'm going to my office, even told him the address as he looked at me suspiciously. I'm an architect and just finished working on my vintage Porsche for the last two days I explained.

He said; well, you can imagine how this looks.

I said; No, I can't imagine, haven't looked in the mirror all day.

So there you go, this is how maintaining your own vintage Porsche can turn you into a homeless person. Ann Arbor has a heck of a homeless population given it's size, if you count the Porsche owners too.

You have been warned.

I went home and told my wife, we both had a very good laugh. The picture she took is attached.

Homeless-Porsche-George-2.jpg

Cheers, George/kach22i

I look pretty bad after working on my hovercraft too. :D

Like they say, "you can't judge a book by its cover." Although a look can garner unwanted attention. Been there done that.

How about a picture of the car? (You can see my red 1967 356SC Cabriolet in the movie "Shampoo")

good story George, actually I think "soiling" Michigan sweatshirt is a crime in your state ...correct ??

The final touch on this story which really completed the look is that I bashed my knee on the disc brake because I took off the rear tires to have greater access and was walking with a pronounced limp.

I think the two days of sun and wind on my face in a town of white collar workers, book worms and students did not help either. I tan up fast, and that can work against you even with a mixed race (black with blue eyes) cop.

Last edited:
Yep, you definitely look like a terrorist. Lucky for you that you didn't get ruffed and cuffed.

I didn't mean beast in a slang way...sorry to offend you. I've been around many cars for a looooong time.

It's no beast, 0-60 in seven seconds according to most books. That is equal to a lot of SUV's these days, it's just more fun to drive and loves twisty roads.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x295/kach22i/
Porsche-sideview.jpg

P-Front.jpg

P-Back.jpg

Man George I hate saying it but I can do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds in a 7000 lb truck.:confused:

I know its not the normal truck but its real. It was another expensive hobby I took to far Diesels. !:eek:

Very good story haha.

I would've at least changed and not wear dirty clothes in the Porsche :p

Man George I hate saying it but I can do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds in a 7000 lb truck.:confused: !:eek:

...and using how many gallons per second? How fast can you stop?

Of course, if you throw sharp turns in, he would leave you in the dust.
I have a 22 year old Nissan 4x2 720 with extra heavy duty shocks and I love leaving heavy pickups/suv's behind when I zip through those turns.

I have a 22 year old Nissan 4x2 720 with extra heavy duty shocks and I love leaving heavy pickups/suv's behind when I zip through those turns.
You have a good point.

On the other hand, I've seen a young woman talking on her cell phone in a Chevy Trailblazer oblivious to the vehicles limits go on a cloverleaf freeway on-ramp at frightful speeds.

The best thing about the Porsche is not being oblivious, but being aware.

170 HP and 2,400 lbs................just fine with me.

all I want is a 2.0L 914.

I usually never tell anyone that I have a weird obession with these....let me know if you find a SOLID one.

Its just the fact that I can ! I never said I can turn with him !

Ask George whats he think of it !

Back