Preamp Suggestions, Please!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that is a wise move. Which Aragon do you have?

I have a 4004. 200W @ 8 ohms. A well-regarded amp when I purchased it years ago.

I'd love to visit, but I generally use up my wife's quota sneaking off for days at a time to attend antique tool meets. Audio is merely one of many bad habits. :p

Spike, that particular advantage has already crossed my mind. ;)

Thanks to everyone who has provided possibilities! As a practical matter, I'll probably be limited to 3 or 4 models I can get my hands on at the same time for side-by-side comparison, but, as someone has already said, there probably aren't any bad choices at this price. I'll keep you posted!

Ken

Hi Ken,

Just a few general observations.

First, enjoy the journey.

Second. As others have stated, it's all about system synergy and your ears and your personal preferences.

Third. I respectfully question having numerous preamps in your room at the same time and, if this is what you have in mind, listening to Preamp A, and then switching to B and C in the same listening session. As I'm sure you know, electronics need to warm up and settle in before they start performing at their optimum. If you choose to follow this path, you run the risk of hearing a preamp that may sound better but, once warmed up, may sound different. That difference may be more or less to your liking in the long term. In a way, this method is somewhat similar to the infamous blind " A - B" test espoused by some individuals.

And yes, please make sure that the preamps are "burned in".

My suggestion is to listen to one preamp for one week. Play lots of different music so you can ascertain the sonic signature of that unit. Then switch to next preamp and repeat the process with the same material. After the analysis, choose the preamp that connects you "emotionally" to the music. Some may argue that one's auditory memory is not capable of remembering the sound of Unit A versus Unit B. I respectfully disagree.

A case in point from personal experience. I auditioned a VTL tube amp for one week. One night, depending on the material, I said to myself that I really liked the amp. On another night, I was not happy with the sound. I ended up sending the VTL back, auditioned the Pass Labs 250.5 and have never looked back.

On the assumption that your system is articulate and transparent enough to reveal all the sonic nuances with any given change, the process I've suggested above should serve you well.

Good luck and enjoy,

GG

Gordon, I do appreciate the advice. Since I've recently retired, I'm able to set aside as many hours of continuous listening as necessary. Helluva chore, but someone has to do it!

In some cases and due to the loan policies of the retailer, I may have the model for only a couple of days. In consonance with your suggestion, I can devote most of my listening time to that model, setting aside for the moment those models for which the retailer has allowed me more time. Hopefully, I'll be able to strike a balance between auditory memory and sufficient listening time for each model.

Ken

In some cases and due to the loan policies of the retailer, I may have the model for only a couple of days.
If you are sure you will buy from that retailer, offer him a small cheque upfront as a deposit. His loan policies may well change to suit you.

RUR,
If you have not noticed already, Upscale Audio is located in So Cal, your neck of the woods. They have Cary, BAT & Atma-Sphere equipments so you should be able to work something out with Kevin Deal regarding auditioning some pre-amps. I'm not associated with Upscale Audio in any ways. Just a happy camper for ordering my SixPacs from Kevin.

By the way, another preamp you should put on your list is the Manley Labs 300B Pre also available from Upscale.

Spike

Last edited:
Thanks, Spike. Upscale is on my list, but Kevin's been out of pocket until today. I'm counting on him for the BAT and Cary for audition, and I'll discuss the Manley, as well.

So far, I've arranged for the Modwright LS 36.5, ARC LS26, and maybe the VAC Sigma. BAT, Cary and others are still being worked.

Ken

Another route to take, especially in the 5k range, is to have an ultra-neutral preamp that merely does the job without any coloration at all. Let your speakers, source or amp do the tricks and leave the switching as pure as you can get.
Spectral and Sphinx come to mind, as well as the Van Den Hul I've bought (but have yet to install, I'm never home!). I'm sure there are other makes out there with the same architechtural philosophy.
I don't know much about Spectral's "try and buy" policy, probably non-existant.
The mid-range Sphinx can be had at May Audio, who do have a 30 day tryout policy, which was reiterated to me in a personal phone conversation with the owner, Bruce Strassburg, when I bought the VDH.
The VDH can probably be bought at The Audiophile Boutique, and I believe they also have a 30 day tryout policy.
Another reccomendation I can make, which I myself will be following suit on sometime soon, is the aquisition of a high quality input switching box, just in case I want to compare preamps / amp / or wires. The more I get into this hobby, the more it sounds like BS and a good switch box would definitely be a good start to help get to the bottom of things.

Another route to take, especially in the 5k range, is to have an ultra-neutral preamp that merely does the job without any coloration .

IMO, he will achive that with either the BAT or the ARC. The two most neutral tube preamps these old ears have heard.

Just about anything with tubes and in that price range is going to sound great.

That leaves the aesthetics, why live with a black box when you can drool over sexy every night?

Emotive Audio
http://www.emotiveaudio.com/
Sira-L2.jpg

Another reccomendation I can make, which I myself will be following suit on sometime soon, is the aquisition of a high quality input switching box, just in case I want to compare preamps / amp / or wires. The more I get into this hobby, the more it sounds like BS and a good switch box would definitely be a good start to help get to the bottom of things.
Personally I don't believe in switchboxes - how do you eliminate the coloration of the internal wires or PCB traces ? In addition, you would have to match levels extremely carefully. Instead, I agree with GG's post in this thread (#22), where he suggests living with each component for an extended period.

Back