Modwright LS36.5 preamp and KWA 150 power amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

repman

Reaction score
hey Guys have any of you listened to or have experince with the Modwright LS 36.5 preamp and KWA 150 power amp

I am going to be upgrading my preamp and power amp in the new year I would like to keep it at the 10k mark for both a preamp and poweramp combo I am open to suggestions I gravitate to a warmer sound and not an overly analytical presentation. I think I want to stay with a ss poweramp and a tube preamp unless you have suggestions on a tube poweramp that will give me the tight bass and control of a ss amp and keep me within my budget.

I need the help of the experts here !!

Thanks, Larry

Hey Larry,

I would give the Ayre a try in your system if you have not already tried them. If you are looking new then the K-5xe preamp with the V-5xe amp would fit your budget. Or if you go used then the K-1xe is a great preamp that can be had for around $4500 on audiogon when they show up every so often. I cannot comment on the ones you are looking at since I haven't heard them, so I'll leave that up to someone who has. You are always welcome to come over and listen to mine if you want too, but it would probably be best to try them in your own system. Good luck and have fun!!!!:music:

Glen

Larry, I've owned an LS36.5 since April of last year. I did home auditions vs. a couple of similarly-priced competitors - Cary SLP05 and ARC LS26. I found the Cary to be the warmest of the three, with the ARC and MW fairly neutral and a bit more resolving to my ears. They're all wonderful preamps, and it's a tough choice! Audition them in your system if at all possible.

I've not heard the KWA 150.

/Ken

Glen/Ken thanks for the input , I appreciate the feedback.

I will take a look at the Ayre line

the local dealer has to order the Modwright equip so it would be hard to even get a demo at a store or at home without buying it first

Latest posts

Back