preamp question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.T.

Reaction score
its good to be able to join the group again! Been awhile since last entry, one computer crash, one ruptured c-7 disk,and required repair, and L.&R. c. tunnel repair! Hell of a way to start 2011. Anyway i wanted to pose this question? I've been obsessing over a tubed pre. for a while and decided on an AE 3 MKll. Then i found a Rogue audio 66 4sale. since i've been trapped at home 4 far too long i've split my time following you guys and sitting in the stereo room, both of which have brought me to the conclusion that my room needs a preamp, and i need the vast knowledge of the group to make an educated decision. Now that i've been a member and read many posts and threads on many subjects, i realize how little i really now about our hobby! What i was wondering is about the output and input empedence. I know it's important, and don't know whats right. Any help would appreciated! The AE-3 has an output emp. of 560 ohms, input emp. of 100kohms. The Rogue 66 has an output emp. of 650ohms & and no input listed. The two are well apart on price, and the Rogue is used. My Parasound amp has a rated input emp. of 33k ohms and input sens. of 1v 4 28.28v output. which way would you guys go if any at all?

To tube or not to tube

slowGEESER, Currently using a Parasound hca 1500a, which i like alot, but would like to have more controll via. preamp w/ volume controll.

I was looking for a tube pre agile back as well and had the same questions. My sunfire amp was at 40k ohm I do believe. I was considering the prima Luna but the dealer said the impedance was too low on the sunfire and that this would be a bad match. So I went with the Cary slp 98 which is said to be able to work well with amps such as ours.

I started a thread about this very topic and somebody actually gave out a formula. I'll see if I can find it
Edit:
the name of the thread was Tube preamp with Sunfire amp. Also my sunfire is only 24k ohms. Sorry I couldn't paste the link with my touch and I do not believe I started the thread either!!

Last edited:
Back