VTL amplifier, and preamp questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Weiland

Reaction score
Hello again Adults and Adulteresses, :ROFL:

I hope I didn't offend anyone. :bowdown:

I recently bought a pair of VTL MB-225T's. They were originally manufactured in January of 1993, and update to 6350 phase splitters, and other updates in 2000, by VTL. (I bought a TL-5 from the same era, variable feedback adjustment - no manual).

These amps were designed with the EL34's. The circuit board has a label of MB 350. VTL never made any 350 models, to my knowlege. But Manley Labs did. However, as you may know, Manley Labs will not answer any VTL questions, even though their employees signatures are on the inside of my 1993 equipment. I am sure it has to do with legal consideration related to the split up.

I do have the owner's manual, but it is VERY rudimentary. I would like to better understand the tube layout.

Are the 8 output tubes paired front row to rear row, left to right in each group of four, or left bank of four to right bank of four, for push/pull?

One of my amps has a 2 amp, but the other has a 4 amp, B+ fuse. I am sure at least one is wrong. :confused:

My initial two emails to VTL had gone unanswered. I did call for at least some info on the B+ fuse. Unlike the AC fuse, which is a slow blow, according to Bea, it should be a fast blow. She said two, or three amps. She did not seem too confident when she said that.

The previous owner had all the bias pots turned all the way up. That would have been too much with the old tubes, but a dealer had put in new tubes without checking the bias.

That eventually took out a tube, and the fuse. I was lucky. All the tubes were biases over 500 mV. The recommendation is 275 to 300 mV. Boy those amps were running hot!

There does not seemed to be any info on the TL-5 line stage. I have ferreted out a bit. It is a two chassis, dual mono, tube pre, with tube regulation. It has four stereo inputs, switched by 8 silver contact toggles, a volume control, and a left and right trim knob that dials in or out negative feedback.

OK folks, any info, schematics, etc. for me.

I appreciate any response.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

With all due respect (and I'm not being condescending), given the apparent unknowns regarding the amp and preamp, why did you buy?

GG

Bruce, have you considered schlepping them over to VTL? They're only a half-hour away in Chino. Bea and Luke are a pleasure to deal with, but sometimes hard to get on the phone, esp. this time of year when they're focussed on pushing out new product before year-end.

Gary,

I am an idiot. But that is another story.

I had recently tried some "new build" Mk III with my Prodigy's. I liked what I heard well enough, but wanted a bit more sweetness than KT88's could offer. When the 225's came up I jumped on them.

They are actually quite good and working well, now that they are properly biased. I want to know more so, that I can optimize my results.

After concluding my deal with the dealer who took them in trade, I noticed the "matching" preamp and made a deal on it too. I am happy with both purchases, but I want MORE DATA.

Rur,

Several years ago I bought a pair of VTL compact 160's from Canada. I spoke to Bea over the phone. She was less than pleasant. None the less I drove to VTL and dropped them off. They did whatever was necessary (I don't recall what any longer) took a long time to get it done, and Bea was less than gracious when I picked them up and paid for the work.

I will admit that when I spoke with her the other day she seemed cheerful, if not entirely sure what value fuse should be used.

Can you see why I might want to look elsewhere, other than VTL for usable info?

Bruce

Bruce, I'm sorry to hear that. My experience with MB-450 Sigs was very different than yours.

Ken

Hi Bruce..........why do you keep calling Gordon...Gary ??

Dave, thanks for pointing that out. :rocker:

I can think of two reasons;

1) The second line in my second post above, and :ROFL:

2) Dyslexia, and his last name. :confused:

Sorry Gordon. :bowdown:

Bruce :devil:

Back