Preamp done, Amp done... Source/DAC next. Esoteric??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry late response so might be out of sync with replies that followed. The Dali Megalines are the final speakers for some, their soundstage and ribbons (vocals etc) are superb. By modding the crossover, for which Albert porter did some research work and his crossover can be copied and reused, you get rid of one of their weaknesses which is some shrillness at the top. Apparently it makes things fall into place. Their low end is not low enough so a sub needs to be added. AP preferred it to his older Soundlabs which he modded for a decade. Dalis original cost is around 50k USD, but right now one is listed for sale in the UK for 11k, so should get it at 8kish.

The point I made was in response to the statement 'what is wrong with me', which I expanded to what is wrong with me that I don't like a speaker as expensive and reputed as the Wilsons. I had therefore listed some examples of cheaper products outdoing the costlier branded reputed ones which is a common thing in hifi, and many times what seems like an upgrade is actually not so. IMO when Joey auditions while he should expect to hear an improvement in CLX over Ethos, and in Alexia over Sophias, he should go with neutral expectations between a 6k Ethos and a 40k Alexia and a MBL, because all these do different things, and someone who prefers the Ethos might not prefer the Alexia and so on. So there is 'nothing wrong', as long as the expectations are neutral.

+1......... it looks like the Megalines that you're referring to are for sale.http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-dali-loudspeakers-megaline-iii-albert-porters-pair-competes-with-magico-rockport-wilson-2014-09-30-speakers-64014-blue-springs-mo

Last edited:
So both the Dalis and the B&Ws are selling at the same price, with the Dali original price at 65 and the B&W original price at 24k? Tough decision, unless one has heard both

So both the Dalis and the B&Ws are selling at the same price, with the Dali original price at 65 and the B&W original price at 24k? Tough decision, unless one has heard both

Never heard the Dali.

I kind of want an ML and a BW in my house. I am auditioning some more tomorrow with my brother - comparing (next to each other) 802 with Montis/Summit X. I don't have a way to compare the 800 with the Logans directly though.

Ideally, I'd have an ML downstairs and BW/other dynamic speaker upstairs.

But I have so many other speakers I have yet to hear... ugh.

Then do what I am doing. Don't buy, just audition, get your kicks out of the auditions, and the music out of the speakers you have and from live concerts. It all comes to those who wait and when you buy, it will be much more awesome and something that is probably not on your horizon right now

Last edited:
I hear you guys but these 800 diamonds rarely ever come out on audiogon . I have been checking nearly every day since probably a year ago and this is the first one yet.

In comparison, I've probably seen a dozen Montis, 6 Alexia's, 20 Sasha 1, 5 Magico Minis, 5 Sonus Faber Stradivari.

I miss this, I'm waiting a long time again.

Try a Vandersteen or a Verity Audio

Listened to (or better word would be I heard) the Vandy 5 carbon. It sounded good and was very "tweaky" since there are so many little resistors of things change in the rear.

Have to listen closer and better next time and play with it more.

I hear you guys but these 800 diamonds rarely ever come out on audiogon . I have been checking nearly every day since probably a year ago and this is the first one yet.

In comparison, I've probably seen a dozen Montis, 6 Alexia's, 20 Sasha 1, 5 Magico Minis, 5 Sonus Faber Stradivari.

I miss this, I'm waiting a long time again.

Doooooo iiitttttttt! DO IT! :) Pull the trigger!

The trouble with this hobby is no matter what you own, you're always looking for something better. You can't help it. It is like reaching out for a bar that is always moving further away. So you run or jump towards it. And the bugger keeps moving on.

The same speakers can sound great in one set up, and awful or average in another. If you're not wise enough to see through that, you end up drawing the wrong conclusions. Only to realise you were wrong a few months or years later.

And when you make a decision, you have to justify to yourself that it was the right decision, that the sound is somehow much better. In some cases it may well be. But you get used to it, and crave something more.

It's like food in a sense. Familiarity can lead to strong contempt. Baked beans on toast everyday? No thanks:D

Back down to earth...

So to confuse Joey even more - don't buy the B&Ws, because Kedar is right!:) The Vandersteens will be good, though, I reckon. Very listenable devices. A friend has just got some Veritys - should hear them sooner or later.

The new Veritys are different from the older ones, I find them much better, their midrange is warm and just flows like water. I heard them with Passlabs. If they were available at a used price (the retail of one of the lower end models (Leonore) is 14k), I would have bought them. The bigger ones have better bass. And they don't boom, sound great in different rooms.

Joey, after you've made your final choice, but before you pull the trigger, I suggest that you go listen to the CLX as a touchstone frame of reference since you are used to the sound of Summits, albeit used as headphones :)

I have a clx dealer somewhat nearby... I will head there after I get back from Chicago. In Chicago I am expecting to audition the Strads.

Today I listened back to back Summit X vs 802 Diamonds with my brother.

The consensus was Summit X was more coherent and more "sound" considering the rear reflection.

But the 802 Diamond had a more involving instrumental portrayal. I liked voices on the ML better but the 802 just connected. Not perfect by any means, but I enjoyed it. I'm not sure where I'm going with this but I guess coherence and ease of vocal reproduction and projection goes to the ML, but overall sound of instruments, detail, cleanliness of sound goes to 802. Also a little concerned if I am hearing the sound of the Kevlar driver and if this is a coloration I am picking up.

Very interested in what I think of the Strads.

And both agreed... SF Olympica 3 are not in the same league as the other 2.

I have heard the Megalines many times back when they were available new. They still stand as one of the greatest examples of reproduced music I have ever experienced.

The B&W, on the other hand, never fail to remind me that I am, indeed, listening to a reproduction. To my ears, they have never managed to integrate the tweeter with the midrange. I think it has to do with the radiation pattern. I always feel that I am listening to the crossover.

The KEF Blades are wonderful speakers as well. Wilsons never spoke to me, but perhaps It was just to difficult for me to see past their - in my opinion - Space-Invasion-Bad-Guy-looks.

Joey, what kind of music do you use for your testing? Are the instruments acoustical or electronic? Were the electronics tube or SS?

Sorry for the questions, but I find it curious that the Summit X is better on vocals but the Diamond is better on instruments.

I know that way back when you bought a turntable, but promptly sold it. Are you planning to get back into vinyl?

Joey, what kind of music do you use for your testing? Are the instruments acoustical or electronic? Were the electronics tube or SS?

Sorry for the questions, but I find it curious that the Summit X is better on vocals but the Diamond is better on instruments.

I know that way back when you bought a turntable, but promptly sold it. Are you planning to get back into vinyl?

Hey Bernard -

1. Yeah, going back to vinyl at some point.
2. Source will likely be Esoteric K1 or K3, if I'm trying to save money, then a Cary 306SACD Pro. Still looking to outlay either $10K on the Esoterics or about $3500 for the Cary since it is not a current production.
3. I have dedicated 20 amp outlets in my dedicated room for the system.

With regards to the listening tests - the system was technically out of my control, the system used subpar upstreams on both speakers, solid state from top to bottom. Listened to my CDs, well known tracks that I use for every one of my auditions.

Michael Buble, John Legend, Lana Del Ray.

I just cycle through a few tracks and do back to back tracks, probably stopping midway on each track and swapping to the other system. The speakers were both in the same room, one was on one side and the other was on the other. Down time between swapping tracks between speakers probably 20 to 30 seconds.

Not a perfect audition by any means, but it was good enough to get an idea of how each sounds.

----

When I say vocals were better on the Summit X, what I mean is that the placement of the vocalist is just how I like it and how I remembered it. Right there, mid center, but has a beaming effect to it almost giving the effect that the singer is spitting energy at you. More forward sounding is a better way of describing it, which is what I like. Also, I felt like the vocals sounded more natural - very similar to what I had been used to with my legacy Summits.

The downside, I felt, is that if I tried to follow the other aspects of the music like let's say the background violin or the piano in the background, it was more "muted" on the ML. On the BW, I could feel the crescendo of the music and the emotion because you could really relate to the music as the background violin would swell up to a climax... vs same track on the Summit, I had to listen for it and even then, i could "hear it" but not "feel it". Very hard to describe but easier if you were with me. My brother agreed and he said he preferred the overall sound of the BW.

I told him I preferred the vocal presentation of the more forward sounding ML, the fact that the music just envelopes you... but that I agreed, the ability of the 802 Diamond to place instruments in their place along the front/back plane of stage was very very good.

Last edited:
With the Summit audition, I did not put too much stock on the upstreams because it sounds so similar to my legacy Summits that I know pretty well what they can and can't do with regards to placement and how it responds to upstream component upgrades.

With the BW802 Diamonds, it's more of a gamble for me, I don't have as much experience with it as I do with the Summits and ML. I'm not sure how they scale with upstream upgrades.

Still have to audition Strads, Vandys, Veritys, Focals, CLX.

Last edited:
Back