Preamp dilema: ARC or ModWright

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About the source, new idea is to use a cheap SACD and combine it with a good DAC. Today they told me that it is a better option than the Jolida.

Well, considering the DAC will be useless for SACD, there's not really much point pursuing this specifically.

On the other hand, I would strongly advise trying to achieve good sound with a transport (SACD or otherwise) and good DAC. That way, you'll have more of a modular system, and even if you're not ready for a music server right now, you'll have a great DAC to really make your music server sing.

The other advantage is that (if you choose a DAC with multiple inputs) you can use the DAC to upgrade the sound of several sources, such as a DVD player or digital terrestrial receiver. Especially with a terrestrial receiver - if you use an optical connection - the horrid, ground hum inducing thing will be electrically isolated from your audio system!

The question is what you consider "cheap" - there are options out there that can get you very far. I have a Vacuum State modded Sony SACD player and it simply sounds great. With such a device you can easily beat sources costing 3-6 times as much. You can order one to try out I believe from their agents. I've also had a JLTi SACD player at my disposal (a small Sony DVD - bought it for a friend) that kills many 'greats' in comparison very easily, these 'greats' being in price range 6-10 times of the modded Sony.

:) I am getting an headache
on the source, more i read and talk about it more I get confused...
help!
so if it is not true that I can get a great sound with a cheap SACD and a good DAC, what shall I do for my source when my budget is approx. $600? am I too low to have a source that can deliver good sound for my Vantages?

:) I am getting an headache
on the source, more i read and talk about it more I get confused...
help!
so if it is not true that I can get a great sound with a cheap SACD and a good DAC, what shall I do for my source when my budget is approx. $600? am I too low to have a source that can deliver good sound for my Vantages?

And yet, you want to put ARC pre & amp behind it? Consider revising your budget,

ok, maybe I should have added that the budget is $600 for CD and approx. $900 for the DAC. Anyway, the idea is that I would like to stay around $1500 for a SACD.

ok, maybe I should have added that the budget is $600 for CD and approx. $900 for the DAC. Anyway, the idea is that I would like to stay around $1500 for a SACD.
There are many $1500 cd players out there. Bring your own music and find the one that sounds best to you and buy it.

*IF* you want great value, consider getting a used Benchmark, Lavry, or equivalent outboard DAC (~$700 used), and combine it with a moderately priced new or used CD/SACD player. 95% of my listening is via a Squeezebox, so I didn't want to invest mega$$ for a CD/SACD player. I ended up getting an Oppo 980H ($170), which serves my needs. I feed CD digital output to my Benchmark, and analog SACD out to my pre-amp (or alternatively via HDMI to my Denon 3808CI). If you listen to a lot of SACD's, then invest a bit more for a higher-end player.

I second the recommendation for the Benchmark. There are plenty of used DACs out there for around $1,000 - Benchmark, Lavry, Musical Fidelity, Stello, Russ Andrews, et al.

A cheaper SACD or just CD player should achieve pretty decent sound. As I said earlier, then you're set if you ever want to get a Squeezebox or Sonos or whatever......

Just found a Cambridge Azur 840. Almost new. They say it has a good DAC that can be used for other components also. Any comment on this product?
thanks

Just found a Cambridge Azur 840. Almost new. They say it has a good DAC that can be used for other components also. Any comment on this product?
thanks

I assume they mean it has a digital input so that it can be used as a DAC for other components.

I don't see anything wrong with this approach - quite a few CD players are sporting this feature lately, probably for the reason I stated earlier. Even some music servers (Transporter) are allowing access to their internal DAC.

This means that you can use it as a regular CD Player and if you ever want to expand your sources in the future you can still access the (hopefully good) DAC in your Azur.

I am familiar with the Cambridge Audio line (The Azur 840 is/was the top model, I believe), but I haven't heard this particular one so can't really comment. I believe there are lots of good things said about them (CA) though.

Last edited:
Another suggestion I received is to use a good power conditioner. it seems that without it I will get a slight metallic edge. Also here prices and brands varies a lot. Some brands I got are Monster cable, Transparent audio or PS audio. do you agree?

Another suggestion I received is to use a good power conditioner. it seems that without it I will get a slight metallic edge. Also here prices and brands varies a lot. Some brands I got are Monster cable, Transparent audio or PS audio. do you agree?

That does sound a bit harsh.

There's no doubt that a good power conditioner will help with sound quality.

However - and it's a big "however" - I believe that you will get a vastly bigger improvement if you spend that money on more traditional upgrades.

I choose not to use one. There have been various points where I have thought about it (and you've got me thinking again) - but the fact remains that that money was spent on better components and I'm happy. Of course, better components have better electrical isolation anyway.

Put it this way - I'd rather be listening to a Vantage without power conditioner than a Vista with one......you know what I mean anyway. YMMV.

Yes, got the point. I think I will do my homework also on an entry level power conditioner. Hopefully it is not going to break the bank.

Yes, got the point. I think I will do my homework also on an entry level power conditioner. Hopefully it is not going to break the bank.

Put your money in a top-flight source. Let the PLC be the icing on the cake.

An entry level conditioner will color your sound. If I were you, I would spend all I can on getting the sound I like, and then spend money on cleaning it up and lifting the fog from it.

Have fun!

when we get together, I'll bring a running springs haley over and you can see if you like it or not....

Perfect. Thanks!

One more thing though - even if it does make a great difference (and it may well), it does cost $USD1,000, I think??

Make sure you also audition a $USD1,000 better source or $USD1,000 better in amplification.

Just got the Cambridge Azur 840C! Getting there! Auditioned with and without the power conditioner and with xlr and RCA filtered cables. Interesting enough the RCA with filter sounded better to my "young" hear. The power conditioner generated a nicer and softer sound. Anyway, very happy to have my first good source.

Back