Preamp dilema: ARC or ModWright

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotus

Reaction score
Ok, I am almost ready to pull the trigger on my preamp (to match my ML Vantages).
I am struggling between an used ARC SP16 or a used ModWright SWL9.0SE.

Any suggestion or comment from the club?
thanks a lot

More info please

It's very hard to recommend components in a forum like this without knowing the gory details: system goals, music taste, how loud do you like to listen, room size & treatment (if any), associated equipments, etc...
Still, even with those details, a recommendation only points toward a direction, but your ears will tell you the...TRUTH! For the caliber of the ARC and ModWright, you should try to audition each in your system, if possible.
Out of curiosity, what was the process of elimination before you narrow down to these two choices out of all the good preamps on the market?

Spike

Both are excellent. You can't lose here. I have listened to the SP16 before and I have LS2 by ARC.

ARC, to me, is a great match with ML speakers.

Having said that, I have never, ever, heard anything negative about the modwright pre-amps.

Erik

If you are going to tube roll for sound differences, then consider the tubes in each:

Modwright: (2)6C45's, (2)6N1P's, (2)5687 tubes

ARC SP16: 12AX7 (3 or 6 depending on LS with/withou phono)

I do not think you can go wrong with either. Look at connections, features, etc. for that final choice.

If you are going to tube roll for sound differences, then consider the tubes in each:

Modwright: (2)6C45's, (2)6N1P's, (2)5687 tubes

ARC SP16: 12AX7 (3 or 6 depending on LS with/withou phono)

I do not think you can go wrong with either. Look at connections, features, etc. for that final choice.

Listen to both and decide for yourself!

Having owned the ARC but also listened through the ModWright(my son had one) as well , I don't think you would go wrong with either. But as Spike, Erik and Dan said....features, connections, tube rolling , etc all come into play.

As Sunday suggested.......can you audition either ...or ?

I would give the Vacuum State SVP-1 or 2 a serious thought and listen. Or even the big RTP3D if budget allows.

If you go with the ModWright SWL9.0SE, get the Signature Edition. The tube rectified PS and Dan’s signature MWI teflon films caps significantly elevate the performance.

I started out with a used SWL9.0SE pre amp and had it upgraded to a SWLP9.0SE (with his SWP9.0 Phono Stage built in) and Dan’s MWI caps. The phono stage does force the tube rectified PS into an external enclosure on the SWLP, but with the SWL it remains in the pre amp.

Modwright: (2)6C45's, (2)6N1P's, (2)5687 tubes...

Actually, the Modwright SWL 9.0SE only uses (1) 5AR4 and (2) 5687's.

Exactly! Who's buying this thing? Me or you.........then why do you want my opinion?

An opinion is merely a pointer in the general direction matching with one's preferences and equipments. Given the vast knowledge of the participants on this boards, if one gives enough parameters while seeking opinions, one could leverage the opinions and narrow down the list of equipments to audition. Of course, there are those who are not able to audition and are completely relying on opinions during the purchase of a used piece of equipment. I completely agree that the end decision is still left to the buyer, but he may need some help in order to embark in the right direction. I know I've helped a few members here with their purchase(s) and I've seen quite a few people successfully put together systems based on the collective knowledge of this board. Joey being the spokesmodel for this group! Where oh where would Joey be today had he NOT asked SOOO many questions in the past!

Spike

A good friend of mine, who lives here in South Florida, is the best high end salesman I've ever seen and, he sells by asking probing questions like:

1. How big is your room?
2. What is your amp?
3. What is your pre-amp?
4. What is/are your source/s?
5. What cables do you use?
And last, but not least:
6. What kind of music do you listen to?

After getting answers to the above questions, he would then ask what price range the customer is shopping in.

Then, and only then, would he recommend a component to the customer.

What I'm trying to say here, is this guy has been given a lot of opinions without regard to his system. What works for him, may not work for you, or me.

PS: My friend no longer is in retail sales, but is now a sales manager for a manufacturer.

First of all, I want to thank you all for the postings which help me a lot since I cannot auditon the ARC and will probably be able to listen to the MW. I am also very grateful to the sharing of knowledge being so new to this world. I am enjoying the journey towards the finalization of my system. Going back to the above questions:
1 - 15 x 15
2 - WIP probably an ARC VS55
3 - reason of this posting
4 - WIP considering a Jolida JD100
5 - WIP considering DH Labs Silver Sonic Q-10. interconnects DH Labs Silver Sonic Air Matrix.
6 - jazz, r&B and anything that sounds good to us

thanks

First of all, I want to thank you all for the postings which help me a lot since I cannot auditon the ARC and will probably be able to listen to the MW. I am also very grateful to the sharing of knowledge being so new to this world. I am enjoying the journey towards the finalization of my system. Going back to the above questions:
1 - 15 x 15
2 - WIP probably an ARC VS55
3 - reason of this posting
4 - WIP considering a Jolida JD100
5 - WIP considering DH Labs Silver Sonic Q-10. interconnects DH Labs Silver Sonic Air Matrix.
6 - jazz, r&B and anything that sounds good to us

thanks

Concentrate on the source first!

About the source, new idea is to use a cheap SACD and combine it with a good DAC. Today they told me that it is a better option than the Jolida.

Back